Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed I want to be an Urist - A community Dwarf Fortress LP

Cassidy

Arcane
May I take it from here or is anyone interested in joining?

Urist McLurker

Learned
Personally I think we ought to take it from the start of the cycle of players, the fortress is basically like a reclaimed fort at the moment, it's going to be boring as hell for the next year and I'd hate for a new player to be put off by that.

Urist McLurker

Learned
GarfunkeL said:
Have to ask a raincheck for that until I know whether my uni research stuff can be rescued from my broken laptop or not. If not, I'll be a busy bee for a long time.

If the worse comes to it, we'll just have to make sure the fortress survives for that long time eh?

Cassidy

Arcane
Have to ask a raincheck for that until I know whether my uni research stuff can be rescued from my broken laptop or not. If not, I'll be a busy bee for a long time.

This was the kind of shit I backed up seven times just to be sure I wouldn't end losing it, back when I was at Uni.

Good luck, because doing all it over again sucks a lot man.

Krash

Arcane
Krash died :cry:

But I was entertained so I guess it was worth it.

And I see you've got more brofists than posts, Urist. Well deserved :thumbsup:

@ Garfunkel - next time if you can't make it, TELL US ffs. It's poor form to just ditch everything like that.

Krash

Arcane
While most of you might be the forgotten, I'll never forget any of you: You all who died this year, will live on as legends, as mythical heroes for the ages.
73Vmmh.jpg

Isn't that right Diary?

This has got to be the most fitting Age of Myth announcement I've ever seen. Seems to me like this thread is entering mythical territory too.

Urist McLurker

Learned
I noticed that too :smug:

Krash was basically doomed from the get go, but he died in battle like a bause trying to enact revenge over the loss of his wife.
A proper death, which is more than nearly every other dwarf got.

I was surprised as fuck when I saw that the world was entering the second age of myth, seeing how we only got into the second age of legends a couple years back.
Felt like the game was saying "Well done McLurker, well done."

Krash

Arcane
Of course, he was a very tender and loving family dwarf. I hope he's got a family member left who can take over come my next turn. There were some kids around, but not sure if they made it.

Maybe I should build a family tomb. With magma and gold ofc, can't be beat by our dear departed baroness.

Urist McLurker

Learned
All of the children of Krash died, wife died, Chef, nephew of Krash died, as well as Chef's child and wife, but IIRC Krash is one of those 'I'm cousins with half of the dwarven empire' dwarves, so we might actually get a family member from the empire before your turn.

dextermorgan

Arcane
The spiral into madness and your desperate attempts to prevent the ultimate FUN, while at the same time tottering on the brink yourself - certainly a quality writeup. This thread made me download lazy newb pack and take another shot at defeating the learning curve. :salute:

Krash

Arcane
All of the children of Krash died, wife died, Chef, nephew of Krash died, as well as Chef's child and wife, but IIRC Krash is one of those 'I'm cousins with half of the dwarven empire' dwarves, so we might actually get a family member from the empire before your turn.

2wel4qu.jpg

ED: This should be your avatar Urist.

ED2: :love:

hiver

Ahahahahahahahahahaha, you actually followed Ulminati to another thread in another fucking sub-forum to prove that you are not "butthurt", thus proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are the most critically butthurt faggot on the Codex. Holy shit, this is priceless.
Yes, ofcourse darling. It sure seems so to those with IQ of 15, doesnt it?

Im spamming that to show Ulminati making a turd out of himself in few posts, as he deserves. Your dumbfuck opinion is irrelevant.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I thought someone had told you to confine yourself to the moneky cage, hiver. Keep your butthurt in GD where it belongs. This is a monocle LP.

Cassidy

Arcane
You killed the only person with enough willpower to withstand leading it without going batshit crazy, now suck up the creepiest and sickest fuck to ever run a Fortress in possibly all of DF's community fortresses history(I know I'm exaggerating but I really upped it)

The sacrificial chamber wasn't finished before the end of the year so someone else will have to make its first blood

Alas I had to do something different lest this year becomes too boring:

Including the lamest, cheapest pun ever.

=============

YGrGR.jpg

From the private files of Jacob Marsh Kolled, High Priest of the Esoteric Ordir of Dagonag'eii

1st of Granite, 255:

- I was a fool. The lights were opening and the truth came in of how to seize the opportunity. (More recent note)

It is so clear now. Everything starts to make sense, the murder, the orgy of violence and unspeakable acts, the strange words from languages even the demons loathe speaking, uttered by the forgotten as they killed each other, and the nightmares and horrors those who didn't succumb to madness tried to shrug off. And all began more or less at the same time this place was besieged by the strange Goblins from the deep oceans beneath the eternal ice and from the deepest pits beneath Earth. Of all nightmares, from telling the few I had no fear of sharing, it became clear that among all the survivors, I was cursed with the worst and most terrifying visions.

My visions are very clear on what Virgintraded has disturbed: even what lies below the magma oceans of the deeps is not the end of the journey, even beneath the deepest glowing pits, there is more, places even the most powerful of those equally horrible and malevolent beings are afraid of reaching, and my mind cannot conceive what could such a place host in horrors that even the nigh-invincible demons fear digging into. And if, as the anedoctal evidences have claimed, the black "slade", as the few survivors call it, serves a purpose similar to Adamantine in imprisoning something even worse than what adamantine does beneath that place I dare to think about, the horrors lurking below that scare even those "lesser" horrors beneath the adamantine rather than beneath the slade must truly be impossible to imagine and describe by even the most brilliant, creative and twisted dwarven mind.

Glancing looks and shades of what I still wishfully want to believe that is nothing but a really bad dream augmented by the tragedies of recent times and by the hopelessness of our situation, besieged by things I don't want to look at, but everything is so accurate, and I wasn't aware of the reports of the "lesser horror" before, and upon reading them I couldn't really ignore the striking precision of my visions and nightmares when compared to the descriptions. It is only what lies even deeper that is without precedent: a realm where space itself starts to distort in ways that challenge the mind, where depending from the angle, a square may look round and a round square, a great darkness that is light and pyramidal shapes jointed in ways that defy common sense and geometry, a place where ice burns, fire freezes, earth blows and the air shakes, for everything is wrong.

It came to me as a surprise when they asked me to take control of this place for now. Maybe this will distract my mind better from the dreams, but perhaps there is something more I could do.

ZqDYW.jpg

William always said that the walls on his office were a protective ward he saw in a dream. I occupied his old quarters. It was most peculiar the scraps of burnt parchments all over in his office, like if he decided to burn many of his notes all of a sudden and was in too much of a hurry to clean up the mess later. Whatever secrets he may have unveiled will be forever lost.

The change of room worked, although I find the blocking of many corridors to be particularly irritating. I'll see to their opening again eventually. I wonder where my wife is, I just met her a few hours ago.

ATr6n.jpg

Dead for a long time? Preposterous! I just talked with her! I demanded proof, but they said the burial was already done without inviting me to the ceremony! Her husband uninvited for the funeral? There is something fishy going on, and I will find it.

1AmLa.jpg

I mean something fishy other than my headwear. The artisan who sold both to me was clearly a madman, but they are comfortable and warm, and whatever it came from is long dead so why should I care?

The change of quarters helped me. The nightmares stopped coming as much as my wife. That ward definitively works.

ZR1MJ.jpg

The dead need proper burial! All those sad bones have no place being spread all over the fortress. I have started my quiet work on it, but I cannot really appreciate the existing mausoleum. It is demeaning and unfit for those who achieved a victory such as surviving, and considering what I think we are facing, we should remember them with glory, not sadness, with a monumental chamber.

Somewhere in the middle of the month,

I woke up screaming. My mind was so terrified I forgot most of the dream. Most of this place is a phantom, a dead fort besieged by unspeakable forces, and at this rate we won't last much longer. What can we do against beings even demons have nightmares about? They have lurked over the surface for a long time, looking for a way to get in, I know they want to, and I know we have no chance of defeating them.

But perhaps... if these beings are so godlike in their horror, perhaps, we will have no choice but to strike a deal with them. I must find them, and either die fighting or do it. It is the only way to ensure the survival of our community. Being a mason myself, I will come to the frozen entrance over the volcano, unseal it and them rapidly seal it again from the outside. I have given instructions for the others on a sign we agreed upon to indicate my successful return, and avoided going into details about my intentions. I'll let this horror within me. Their fragile minds wouldn't withstand it.

r5zbS.jpg

- Minds of such abominable advancement as those of our benefactors are not limited in their reach by a physical body (Recent Note)

A dream within a dream, and I forgot most both, probably something I should be thankful about considering what these details would consist of. I never left this fortress to "negotiate" with those cosmic forces. I would probably die or face something worse than death had I done it. What was I thinking?

Yet my desire is clear. I will find a way to communicate our intention to whatever besieges our fortress, by complying with the only clear fragment of the dream, a proper appeasement in the form of a tribute to the unsurmountable power of those creatures.

H3tyK.jpg

Its construction has just begun, and it shall also serve for the purpose of being a mausoleum, and my personal tomb on its upper floor of a peculiarly different design from the central and lower ones. The lower floor must be painted red in boiling magma. The miners comply without question although they don't see the purpose of such work, I see them.

By giving tribute to the unknown, they will leave us in peace, and it seems I am not wrong on such possibility, for shortly after the construction of the temple began, I finally managed to sleep in peace, although I am starting to wonder if they buried my wife alive and if she still needs my help to rescue her. I really would love to sleep with her right now.

I woke in the middle of the night, or I think so. Their plot to kill my wife by entombing her alive, whoever is behind it, is going to an end soon! Who do they think they are to play such sick games with my family! Or perhaps the one responsible already died, but I will rescue you from whatever prison you lie at against your will, my dear Stereotypical Villain!

I sneaked into the tomb my predecessor built, and opened the coffin. She was there, alive but unconscious and seriously wounded with oozing flesh! I care not about the putrescent smell she got, I will revive her and sleep with her tonight. Nobody shall disturb us.

-I had success restoring her to the original form before death by some insertions of the Old Ones' gift, but my attempts to reanimate her remain unsuccessful, yet she still loves me with her silent consent with everything I do with her and with her perpetually perfect and youthful body. Perhaps I should look for the obscure De Seniorem Vermis Mysteriis* to find a proper solution to the issue of the essential salts I need. No taboo shall stop me from having such intense love, forever. For in strange eons, even Elves may man up. (Recent Note)

*Rough Translation: Mysteries of the Wyrmlord.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Paging:

- Berekän
Any of you guys interested in a turn in the near future? That is, after Stereotypical Villain (if he accept this great LPing honor). Doesn't even need to be a full year if you don't want, even a single update would be neat (as long as we get the save after ofc).

Hm, never got an alert for this. Anyway, don't think this is relevant anymore, but since I missed this thread from the start I think I'll avoid getting in for now. I'd rather make a final chapter for the first edition when I have some time, a bit late now but I think it deserves some closure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom