Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I need to let some steam off

Angthoron

Arcane
In this age of internet how good are these databases and how digitized are they?

Depends. Linguistics corpora are pretty good, literature, not that good. And, of course, if you go for academic mainstream (eg topics done to death like "the classics", of feminism or postcolonialism), you find shittons of articles. If you go for clichés, or, god help you, Fantasy, you're quite fucked. Nobody does that stuff, it isn't in fashion.

Angthoron

Arcane
In this age of internet how good are these databases and how digitized are they?

Depends. Linguistics corpora are pretty good, literature, not that good. And, of course, if you go for academic mainstream (eg topics done to death like "the classics", of feminism or postcolonialism), you find shittons of articles. If you go for clichés, or, god help you, Fantasy, you're quite fucked. Nobody does that stuff, it isn't in fashion.
Was it ever? Seriously. Was genre fiction even considered hard literature? Any point in timeline of history?

Also, I was wondering: The digitization must be too damning for you, since you have to defend against every retard who takes quotes out of context, applies Freudian logic and comes up with Shakespeare was a tranny.
Detective fiction is fairly acceptable now. Bildungsroman is very much academic. Genre fiction is usually not too well received, that's true, but Genre Fantasy is probably the most heavily stigmatized topic. And I, for one, think that if a genre is shit, it doesn't mean that it isn't worthy of at least analyzing why it is so.

And nah. Sources have to be "proper".

Angthoron

Arcane
And nah. Sources have to be "proper".

That is scary.

EDIT: OR not. Probably that simply means my fight lies at a different stratum.
Scary thing is that proper sources have enough of "Shakespeare was a tranny" bullshit.
That is exactly what I meant.

The obvious culprit is Freudian psychology + Queer theory.
Ah, yes. Funny thing is that Freudian psychology is pretty much outdated in psychology proper, but hey, why not use it in literary theory STILL.

Aaaaanyway. Now it's someone else other than Tiagocc0 letting some steam off.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ah, yes. Funny thing is that Freudian psychology is pretty much outdated in psychology proper, but hey, why not use it in literary theory STILL.

Most of the underlying stuff in Freud's theories are actually still the basis for modern psychology. The subconcious is just as big (if not bigger) part of what leads people to make decisions. Sex is a powerful driver of what we think and do. People do model their relationships off relationships from their formative years. All this is accepted and taught.

Angthoron

Arcane

Most of the underlying stuff in Freud's theories are actually still the basis for modern psychology. The subconcious is just as big (if not bigger) part of what leads people to make decisions. Sex is a powerful driver of what we think and do. People do model their relationships off relationships from their formative years. All this is accepted and taught.
Yeah, but basically Lit Theory teaches same things as it used to essentially unmodified by new findings. It's still "According to Freud". Not followup research.

Angthoron

Arcane
Strangely enough, I'm almost okay with post-structuralism. It almost makes sense.

My problem is much more academic and "philosophical" than literary. It seems to me colloquial language was never developed to be rational. It was developed to facilitate convenient communication. Not only that, it is NOT developed per se. It is constantly evolving and modifying. Add to that the fact that actual historic context, especially specifics of every event that shape usage of text by INDIVIDUALS (and I am certain that there are NO generic rules here like prescribed by colonial/marxist theory that pertain to individuals) are impossible to ascertain. This makes application of deconstruction (for example) pointless.
Well, I don't mind people trying to bend reality into a more understandable shape if it's useful and applicable (and that it makes goddamned sense). Deconstruction is, in the end, useful and applicable, even if, just as any good "humanities" theory, has as many holes in it as swiss cheese. Problem with this stuff arises when someone blindly applies (or teaches) a theory without any reflecting upon it. I was lucky to have MA-level lit professor that actually did like to poke holes in theories, and so I actually got to appreciate Structuralism and Post-Structuralism a bit more than I used to. Same went for a bunch of other theories as well. Not that I'd personally ever use them, but still, my complete aversion towards those eventually ended.

Conversely, we had another professor at one time that was so stuck on "gender, class and sexuality" issues in literature that ALL of her lectures essentially ran down to studying that - whether it was 20th century fiction or Gothic Horror. It was pretty horrid. We even came up with an alternative end-all theory back then, Baby-Eating Lit Criticism, where, as you might have guessed, everything runs down to eating babies.

Angthoron

Arcane
So to my earlier question, and let me elaborate that before you answer:

The examples of professors you provided ( I sympathize immensely; I did Philosophy of Science(s) in an almost exact same environment) the one who teaches theories from a critical perspective (and by critical I mean examined) is obviously superior. This is a matter of high concern. Narrowminded or downright idotic tendencies in academics are probably common and expected in local environments. What is the reason that they are global today? Why is you feminist teacher a better model of modern literary criticism?

Honors students go on to become teachers and researchers. To become honors students, they do not question the theories or the practices. They simply do things. After they become lecturers/professors, they in turn find it easier to pick out people like themselves, who will, in turn, become honors students in their time, and so on and so forth, basically with the circle continuing. The newer students might have a slightly adjusted focus, shifting from one popular theory to the next, but otherwise, things remain the same.

Angthoron

Arcane
So to my earlier question, and let me elaborate that before you answer:

The examples of professors you provided ( I sympathize immensely; I did Philosophy of Science(s) in an almost exact same environment) the one who teaches theories from a critical perspective (and by critical I mean examined) is obviously superior. This is a matter of high concern. Narrowminded or downright idotic tendencies in academics are probably common and expected in local environments. What is the reason that they are global today? Why is you feminist teacher a better model of modern literary criticism?

Honors students go on to become teachers and researchers. To become honors students, they do not question the theories or the practices. They simply do things. After they become lecturers/professors, they in turn find it easier to pick out people like themselves, who will, in turn, become honors students in their time, and so on and so forth, basically with the circle continuing. The newer students might have a slightly adjusted focus, shifting from one popular theory to the next, but otherwise, things remain the same.
That I do expect on local, small university or even a state/national level. But is this true about the "gurus" of literary theory? I always thought that at that level this things simply are incapable of reaching.

All the big names that I hear now a days seem to subscribe to such beliefs,
Think about it - you can't become a guru unless you reach your doctorate. By the time you get your doctorate, you generally no longer give a damn about having "fresh ideas", or, if your ideas are still fresh, you're so deeply stuck within the academic frames that it has become your second nature. Rare exceptions occur, but this is pretty much a case of environment defining attitudes.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm so glad most of my profs and lecturers don't think much of gender studies approaches to history.

Then again, history is a much more factual science than literary studies so you can't just pull shit out your ass and claim it's true. One lecturer (female even) entirely dismissed one gender-studies approach to a subject we talked about because it was just an incredibly shitty theory with little basis on the facts that we know. It just didn't fit.

Angthoron

Arcane
Except sadly it's frequently the politically incorrect thing to do, and no matter what the universities try to claim, they're largely governed by politcorrectness and other such things, often due to the fact that they can lose their funding if they stray too far from course.

Angthoron

Arcane
Oh, that would be great fun. I think peasant children in the 18th century had a better chance for fair peer reviews.

Interesting

Educated
You cant be codexian outside of Codex anymore. It will only get worse. The decline is all around us.

tiagocc0

Arcane
True.
But the decline is good, if not for the decline the Codex wouldn't be necessary.

tiagocc0

Arcane
This happened in LinkedIn, I don't know if everybody has access to it so:
http://www.linkedin.com/groupAnswers?viewQuestionAndAnswers=&discussionID=204871038&gid=2020467

Want to make games but lacking skills
Okay so I have been wanting to make video games all of my live but haven't really had guidance as to what exactly I should learn to make any type of video games. I have tried to learn programming languages but feel that I would have a better chance of learning it by myself than from the professor who was teaching me. I have taking to learning the business aspect of developing video games and was wondering is this a good route?

Tiago Carvalho • There are several roads you can follow. You have to ask yourself what you really want?
Makes games that you designed or be part of the game industry?
If you want to design your own games you probably have to go indie.
In this case you will end up doing everything yourself unless you can get a team of other enthusiastic people who likes your project.
You can commission for art/music/sounds and find a good engine to speedy up the process.
Learning the business aspect is very good because if you finish your game you will really need this knowledge.
A minimal amount of development skills is required even if using a very good engine.
Now if you want to be part of the industry then you have to pick one aspect of developing a game and get really good at it, it would be better to find a indie group and help them as to learn and also show your skills.
Tim Richardson • If you want to make games, definitely the best way to learn is just to get stuck in! Whether it be developing the artwork, animations, sound engineering, programming, or like you say, the business side of things, there is a demand. It's easy nowadays to find someone to collaborate with on an indie game if that's the direction you want to go in, but if you're looking for a job with a well established studio, unless you have a killer portfolio of games, the only way in would probably be through a degree or an internship (likely unpaid).
I've been independently developing games on a small scale for a few years and have always worked with a maximum of 3 people and we have handled the business side of things alongside our project commitments. So I'm not sure how that would fit for a smaller project, but certainly for larger projects I have worked on in industry there has been demand for project managers and the like.
Good luck!
Patricia Curtis • Learn your self, remember Those who cant, Teach

Tiago Carvalho • Thank you for insulting the entire education system of the whole world.

Jordan T. Dillingham • Alright well I do want to create my own games. I have a few ideas but as far as implementing them... That's the problem. But I have thought about working for an indie group as well as in industry and have thought of going in industry first then working on my own.

Patricia Curtis • Well ok lets look at my comment, if they were amazing games developers they would not be teaching, they would me making, also from my experience most academics and academia as a wole is far removed from the nitty gritty of games development, and trust me i am not some noob, http://luckyredfish.com

Tiago Carvalho • Sorry Jordan for posting it here.
Patricia, that phrase is ridiculous, if you want to be taken serious please do not use it anymore.
Jordan:
When making your first game you want to worry more about the game itself than any other aspect, you can grab an easy engine and prototype your game there. This will make you learn a ton of things about the game, how to make, what works and what doesn't.
Remember, you are prototyping, and if it's good you will probably get other people interested in your project.
After that you may worry about moving to a better engine/language.
The problem in the industry is that for medium-large companies you may end up doing some grunt work and then your job may end up looking like a regular job.
If you do release your own game as an indie it can really help you get in the industry because it shows that you are skilled. Just my two cents.
Patricia Curtis • Tiago Carvalho your an idiot if you thinki i am going to curb my conversation for you,
1 your just out of nappies and have not much work to your credit, so come back to me in 30 years or so
2 Those who cant, Teach , is an English idiom which is a joke you idiot!
3 People take me seriously because of my body of work not some comment on Linkedn.
Djeradi Djibril Abou El Kacem • You have to see what you are best at , ( programing , designing , writing scenarios , testing , quality tester , sound composer ...)
then try learn something in that way or try gathering a small dev team 4 to 10 people to start working on a small project for android phones or wp
Tiago Carvalho • Thank you for calling me idiot. You're are very professional.
Thank you for rubbing me your site in my face and telling I'm a nobody.
Thank you for using a joke in a serious conversation and then going crazy about a joke.
It's incredible how we can know a person in just a few messages.
Djeradi Djibril Abou El Kacem • Jordan, I think you have a fight game here lol

Patricia Curtis • Professional don't make me laugh, welcome to the internet, welcome to the real world, and yes i think your an idiot, for trying to censor my conversation, or stating that I had "insulted the entire education system of the whole world", with one JOKE, for a real response that you do not deserve.
Programming and games development in particular is a learned skill, it takes time to get the skills to be able to produce a quality game, its not something you can learn from a book or a teacher. Any teacher who is teaching has not the time to invest into the learning of the skills needed, there are 1001 people who say they can teach games programming, but i ask you can they? They may be able to tell you how to write code or create a mesh in a 3D package, but can they make a game?
Maybe Tiago Carvalho when you have written some games you will understand where i am coming from, your obviously just out of University and know nothing of the real world of games development, and yes i can see that purpleorangegames.com states it has produced a game space strategy, but from what i saw in the videos is not that impressive, great intros, great audio, but visually it did not impress me. Maybe i am missing the point, i do wish them every success.
I think i have more experience than you, in life and the games development arena, and my experience tells me to keep quite when i have nothing to say and let it go when I have been told, so maybe that's a lesson you have yet to learn Tiago.
Tiago Carvalho • A bad joke, is a bad joke. Just because you made games doesn't make it right.
We are not in a comedy show or play, we are in LinkedIn, talking about games.
Haven't you noticed that there are teachers that does work in the game industry?
Good gosh, you haven't even checked my site correctly, I'm developing a game, it's in a very early state because I do it in my spare time.
Why do you want to bring my site to the discussion? Want to call me a nobody again?
It doesn't matter if you made games, it's your personality.
You came and left a one line comment and half of it was a bad joke.
After I touched a nerve you came back to give what, 'advices'? Well, it stinks.
Welcome to the internet, welcome to the real world.

Patricia Curtis • Tiago Carvalho your a nobody, happy now? you really really need to know when your being told to shut up and shut up! You are still being an idiot and doing it in front of the world. Can you honestly tell me that there are NO jokes allowed on Linkdn? and no its not a bad joke its funny.
Do you want another one.
The trouble with stupid Brazilian indie games developers is, you cant argue with them and you cant kill them. :)
Jose Rafael Striedinger • Jordan:
It really depends of what you want to do. Picture yourself in, say, 4 years. Do you see yourself coding? designing? in the business part of the company? doing music?
Making a game is a complicated issue, because it needs programming, music, art, design and more things.
I just did my internship in a mobile game company in Colombia (I'm latino) and I got the internship because of my own efforts. Now I'm working with a friend on an indie game for iOS and Android and it's been a tough road. What I'm trying to say is that video game development education is limited even in the US. You can go to DigiPen, USC, RIT, Full Sail, Westwood College or something but, you CAN learn this things by your own...at least to get you started. Go. Just throw yourself in the water. Go and type "Unity game development for beginners" in Google or something :D
Patricia:
What's up with the attitude? Chill out for the love of God...
"Those who can't, teach". Richard Lemarchand, game designer from Naughty Dog, quit and now is teaching at the USC if I'm not wrong. Please do not insult teaching, some people really do it with heard.
Also, There's no reason to insult anyone here and much less insult their WORK! You say you have amazing wisdom? That you're such a huge professional and stuff, right? Than act like one and don't freak out just because of comment on the internet.
Patricia Curtis • Jose Rafael Striedinger, please don't blame me, one joke, taken the wrong way by a developer, it has only lasted this long because he does not know when to shut up! and a minor point a co games designer, is not a games developer, he is a designer!
Anyhow i am done, have a great discussion people !

sser

Arcane
Developer
Didn't even realize such conversations were possible on Linkedin. Methinks you get trolled far too easily. It takes time to learn to ignore shit on the internet, though.

Destroid

Arcane
As long as you don't make your battles scale like MoO2 battles did. They could get very long and tedious toward end game when you have a lot of ships.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom