Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I just finished Wizardry 1

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fair enough, but it seems like people who play the game ironman are a small minority of Wizardry's playerbase. Even back in the 80s, everyone backed up their saves from what I've been told - even hardcore Wizardryheads like @aweigh.
Well, I recommended to play it on Iron Man "as much as you can manage". I certainly did go back to my last save on a few occasions:

- when I triggered Murphy's Ghost with my fairly novice party on level 1
- when I first encountered some dragons and they wiped out my party
- similarly, when I first encountered the fixed "test" encounter on level 4, which resulted in a total party wipe

Other than that, if at least half of my party is still alive, I don't reload. There's a continuum between 100% Iron Man and savescum after every battle (well, you can't do that in this game anyway).

Last edited:

Covenant

Savant
5 is fine with Ironman, so long as you don't go into the Playhouse.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Fair enough, but it seems like people who play the game ironman are a small minority of Wizardry's playerbase. Even back in the 80s, everyone backed up their saves from what I've been told - even hardcore Wizardryheads like @aweigh.
Well, I recommended to play it on Iron Man "as much as you can manage". I certainly did go back to my last save on a few occasions:

- when I triggered Murphy's Ghost with my fairly novice party on level 1
- when I first encountered some dragons and they wiped out my party
- similarly, when I first encountered the fixed "test" encounter on level 4, which resulted in a total party wipe

Other than that, if at least half of my party is still alive, I don't reload. There's a continuum between 100% Iron Man and savescum after every battle (well, you can't do that in this game anyway).
Well..... you can with DosBox-X. In a way you could in pure DOS by copying several of the save.cfg or data (forget what its called) as backups in a different directory. You die, delete and overwtite (an annoying process and there was probably a better way. UGE could be used I guess, but I never really bothered to figure it out for wizardry, much less make a module. Probably exists, I guess.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well..... you can with DosBox-X. In a way you could in pure DOS by copying several of the save.cfg or data (forget what its called) as backups in a different directory. You die, delete and overwtite (an annoying process and there was probably a better way. UGE could be used I guess, but I never really bothered to figure it out for wizardry, much less make a module. Probably exists, I guess.
I'm playing the C64 (well, C128) version, so I just make a copy of the scenario disk periodically (or in the middle of a losing battle, that's still fine if you haven't lost the battle yet). Or you can just reset the emulated machine, then "restart an out party" from the utilities menu.

Aurora

Novice
Playing this game on Iron Man is the only way to play it. You're supposed to be careful and draw good maps or else your party gets killed off and you start over again. If you play properly and build a high hit-point team, you won't be surprised and killed off by anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom