Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I hereby change my self made meme.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
DramaticPopcorn said:
Come to think of it, in what 3d next-gen games camera was good?
In Titan Quest.

Felix

Arcane
I stopped playing Dragon Age for the same reason, at least NWN2 give you plenty of options, a little too many.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
Good. It's the traditional isometric way.
Yes, except in isometric games you don't NEED to tilt the camera because stuff is constantly hidden behind walls.

1eyedking said:
Shit games such as Dungeon Siege have a camera that works tons better than Biowhore and Ass-sidian's abortions.
You know your games sucks when even fucking Dungeon Siege does something better.

(then again if we include camera under engine then it all makes sense)

Paula Tormeson IV said:
I was referring to the OP, Racofer, who used to have "MotB's camera sucks!" as his sig.
Was hard to tell who you were responding to since you didn't quote.

FFS R00fles and all that.

Disconnected

Scholar
Sceptic said:
If x<y then y cannot be the smallest variable ever. Because x is, you know, smaller.

Yet if x>y then y may be the smallest variable ever. Because x is, you know, greater. So I ask again, what is the proof that x is smaller?

The reason DAO's requires less manipulation is that there is NO single camera setting that is good, you therefore completely give up on even trying to get the clusterfuck of a camera to work.

I agree DA:O doesn't give an adequate view of the game space, but if you're implying NWN2 doesn't give an equally inadequate view of the game space, I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you.

This is pure FFS lies bullshit. The simple fact that you can still tilt the camera in isometric view in NWN2 makes it leaps and bounds better than DAO's where isometric not only obscures shit that's right on your feet but you can't even tilt the fucking camera by the 2 degrees it would require to see the shit, forcing you to switch to 3rd person instead.

NWN2 does a much better job of obscuring the view with geometry than DA:O. DA:Os camera controls are fewer and more responsive, resulting in less time spend fiddling with the fucking thing.

I'm in no way trying to imply I find DA:Os camera adequate. All I am saying, is that I think it compares favourably to NWN2s.

Silellak

Cipher
Objectively, I have no idea which camera is "worse". Subjectively, I know I struggled and fiddled with the camera in NWN2 far more than I did in DA.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Disconnected said:
So I ask again, what is the proof that x is smaller?
That's not what your wording previously implied, but no matter, because:

I agree DA:O doesn't give an adequate view of the game space, but if you're implying NWN2 doesn't give an equally inadequate view of the game space, I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you.
I guess we'll just have to disagree then. As I said, with NWN2 there was somewhere a setting I could use to see what I was doing. It required tilting, it required tweaking, it required rotating the fucking thing all the fucking time, but it was there. In DAO I simply had to give up entirely and decide that, if I'm playing in iso mode, I'll have to live with never, ever being able to see some things, no matter how hard I tried to tweak or change. Having objects that I will never, ever be able to interact with is, in my view, a much more serious sin than having to struggle with the camera in order to see them.

NWN2 does a much better job of obscuring the view with geometry than DA:O. DA:Os camera controls are fewer and more responsive, resulting in less time spend fiddling with the fucking thing.

I'm in no way trying to imply I find DA:Os camera adequate. All I am saying, is that I think it compares favourably to NWN2s.
I get what you mean, but I just didn't feel that. I agree (maybe) that, for a particular fixed camera that you never touch again, NWN2 obscures more than DAO. That was not an issue for me in either game though, because in both I was constantly trying to rotate things to see what was obscured. The difference, and again what made me place DAO's as even worse (notice the even; I agree with you that neither is good), is that there WERE ways to get past this in NWN2. You found that to be distracting because you had to constantly fiddle with the camera instead of just being able to play the game. I hated DAO's because I had to constantly switch form 3rd person to iso instead, rather than just playing with the angle in iso. I guess it's a matter of pereference. I find fewer controls to be far too annoyingly restrictive.

Ninja: Much of what I said would also work as a reply to Sillelak's latest comment too.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Overweight Manatee said:
Sceptic said:
Anyway I'm glad people are finally starting to admit that you could get worse than NWN2's camera after all. And from Bioware no less!

:retarded:

There was someone who thought DA's camera was good?

It wasn't good or bad. It was so-so. Every now and then I had to adjust it, but nothing hair splitting.

racofer just has two left hands.

Same here.

Everything

Novice
Sceptic said:
racofer said:
From now on, it shall be "DA Camera Sucks!"
You could've stopped there you know.

Anyway I'm glad people are finally starting to admit that you could get worse than NWN2's camera after all. And from Bioware no less!

denizsi

Arcane
Silellak said:
Objectively, I have no idea which camera is "worse". Subjectively, I know I struggled and fiddled with the camera in NWN2 far more than I did in DA.

That's because there's nothing to fiddle with in DA's camera. It's either a fixed pseudo-iso angle from afar, or Tomb Raider camera with a few levels of zoom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom