Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline I hate Digital Foundry.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Today, I want to talk about Digital Foundry and how I hate them. And also, how they're basically damaging the entire gaming mindset with absolute, ridiculous, considerations.

First of all, as of late, Digital Foundry has started pondering whether Non-Existent games that we have see no playable build of will run well on unannounced consoles. Not only do they do it once, but they do it all the time.

1714317969649.png

As of late, long videos about non existent hardware have become a specialty.

1714318085106.png

This is unsufferable in its own right. But this is by far not what's been bugging me about their entire existence.

Let's remind everyone one clear thing : Digital Foundry doesn't play games, they measure them. And they measure with fucking framemeters to whine and complain about how this game plays at 60 FPS moooooost of the time but when you enter a big city while it loads it switches to 57 or sometimes even 55 FPS for a couple of seconds. Then they do a DLSS vs FSR analysis when they zoom on the edge of 3D models and compare stills of them being blurred and while a difference is noticeable, it's never apparent to a normal player who, you know, play the game. As a result of this kind of excessive scrutiny, people are complaining about horrible ports when they are, in fact, not. Jedi Survivor played nice on my GTX 980. I didn't fucking spend every minute of gameplay looking at the framerate, I just played it. The Last of Us was mostly 30 FPS on PS3. GTA 5 could hardly reach 30 FPS. And people had fun.

But some of the time they actually do comparisons and boast differences that are absolutely invisible unless, yes, you measure it with a framerate meter and call a port or version good or bad depending on those nonsensical "results". My biggest issue is how much attention those clowns are getting. It's damaging to this entire industry and leisure in the sense where people are now thinking that getting frame drops at 4K resolution on a 4080 is unacceptable.

Maybe it is time to stop paying attention to those idiots.

Thank you for listening to my rant.

bat_boro

Arcane
The only problem I have with them is that visually, they look and sound like literal cucks. It’s obviously a big one, but at the same time since I don’t care for the opinions of cucks, I can safely ignore them

Lucumo

Educated
Why would anyone watch videos with a mug of some four-eyed, basically bald loser that isn't wearing proper headphones on the thumbnail? Heck, I don't watch any videos with anyone's mug on it. And that's apart from a retarded title like: "PS5 Pro CPU Spec Reaction...." which would turn any normal person away.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The good news is you can just not watch that content.

Digital Foundry is actually pretty useful when it comes to measuring actual games that are out. For example, if some AAA-title gets ported to the underpowered Switch, it's nifty to see how exactly it performs. The sludge of fantasy content concerning nonexistent games on nonexistent platforms is a knock-on effect of YouTube itself: you have to always be pushing content. There's an ocean of (often good) youtubers who stick strictly to the brass tacks and they evaporate into the aether for their effort.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I appreciate that they take a detailed analysis of graphic stuff but whenever I watch their stuff I'm like "I don't care that much about that graphics" and end up watching something else.

What annoys me is that for consoles they care about rock hard 60 FPS (or whatever the target is, which I can get behind) but then when it comes to PCs they suck the raytracing cock even if it means 35 FPS DLSS performance mode. OMG the reflections meanwhile the actual game is a blurry, unplayable mess.

Lucumo

Educated
There's an ocean of (often good) youtubers who stick strictly to the brass tacks and they evaporate into the aether for their effort.
Nah, Youtube's algorithm is just (intentionally) garbage. And even apart from that, the list is filled with "Shorts" which is terrible and "People also watched" with completely unrelated crap.

For example: Some random search gives me six videos, followed by shorts listings, followed by two more videos, followed by four "people also watched" videos. So for eight videos where the context matters, you get a list of shorts and four completely unrelated videos...aka, more than half is useless and warrants more scrolling. Out of those eight videos, three are from the same channel (they are even all in the top 6), two from another, then another two from another and then finally a channel with just one video in the top 8 (the last one of those listed too).
There is also bs like language and region selected not mattering for the search results.

Jason Bright

Novice
There's an ocean of (often good) youtubers who stick strictly to the brass tacks and they evaporate into the aether for their effort.
Nah, Youtube's algorithm is just (intentionally) garbage. And even apart from that, the list is filled with "Shorts" which is terrible and "People also watched" with completely unrelated crap.

For example: Some random search gives me six videos, followed by shorts listings, followed by two more videos, followed by four "people also watched" videos. So for eight videos where the context matters, you get a list of shorts and four completely unrelated videos...aka, more than half is useless and warrants more scrolling. Out of those eight videos, three are from the same channel (they are even all in the top 6), two from another, then another two from another and then finally a channel with just one video in the top 8 (the last one of those listed too).
There is also bs like language and region selected not mattering for the search results.
Youtube search is genuinely atrocious unless you input very specifically for what you want to find.
Regardless of what I search for I end up with almost half the videos being recommended slop like 20 second ethot clips with ~30 million views or some disgust-bait shit about pulling crap from between someone's toes and trypophobia-esque stuff like that with appropriately revolting thumbnails.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Never heard of this guy before but yeah! Fuck this bald asshole, I hate him, I hate the cut of his jib and I hate that he's making a fake ponderous face in all these thumbnails. I hope he trips and falls on a real nail and gets tetanus.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I know that one of the guys that works for Digital Foundry is a massive (actual) fag who absolutely despises any pretty ladies existing in games but celebrates hard gay faggotry in the same breath.

Wasteland

Novice
Digital Foundry is a group of pseudo-intellectuals who shill relentlessly for the newest, shiniest graphics tech without regard for performance cost, nor indeed for the artistic merit of the end result. It was funny to watch how they wriggled when DLSS 3.5 came out, for example--suddenly they had a laundry list of complaints about Cyberpunk's RT presentation--an RT presentation to which they'd spent years jerking off--because they needed to describe what DLSS 3.5 exists to fix. Watching them scratch their heads over why Immortals of Aveum failed, after they'd spent weeks shilling this turd on the basis that it uses UE5, was also amusing. Gee, it's a stale Doom Clone with a short runtime, Forespoken-style writing, NASA-tier system requirements, unimpressive visuals, and a premium price tag--what could possibly be the problem?

Some of DF's content is ok, but on the whole they're insufferable. I found this rant about DF amusing:

Tyranicon is right, of course; youtube's been circling the drain for years. "Gaming" youtube in particular overflows with pretentious and interminable "essays" and "editorials," put forward by the most mediocre minds, with even more gratingly mediocre personalities, imaginable. Digital Foundry isn't the worst example you'll find. What I can't stand though is the smugness, the preachiness, the self-conscious air of authority, coming from a bunch of guys who obviously never play games themselves, and clearly don't have any technical grounding in the topic either. Worse, they clearly haven't given a passing thought to aesthetics in any way that goes beyond "omg teh graphicz!"

I like pretty graphics as much as anyone. I like whizbang tech. It appeals to my inner 12 year old. But we're light years past the point where "good graphics" should be a primary or even significant concern for any sane gamer. And anyway, what's the end state to this sort of discourse? Everything and everyone strives for photorealism, so that everything ultimately looks the same? No thanks.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Again, my biggest issue is not actually DF themselves. Well. Yes it is. But no. The biggest issue is how the entire gaming sphere is wondering about what DF is going to say for each game release when it is, in fact, irrelevant.

FOR FUCK SAKE, They did a TECH ANALYSIS of SUPER MARIO RPG on the SWITCH.

1714334201532.png

1714334244702.png

These people are beyond mental repair.

Jason Bright

Novice
The gay German on there is worst one. I hate the way he laughs and unexpectedly raises his voice.
1*VIvRo89verQc2NS4Fwg38Q.png
This is the guy who said that Stellar Blade looked 'like a game from the early 2000's' as in he thought games had moved away from female characters looking like that. This was ages ago when it was first revealed.

Jason Bright

Novice

Here's the video, he starts from 38:53.
The guy who speaks on the game before him said that the character models seemed to be 'from a bygone era' and he runs with it from there. Amazingly he compares its models unfavorably to the then preview of Forspoken, of all games. :lol: They all then precede to chuckle in agreement as he tuts at the game.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Uh, don't just watch YouTube in general? Most "content" is trash, but of course there are rare gems. Like 0.000000000000001% of all content out there.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Here's the video, he starts from 38:53.
The guy who speaks on the game before him said that the character models seemed to be 'from a bygone era' and he runs with it from there. Amazingly he compares its models unfavorably to the then preview of Forspoken, of all games. :lol: They all then precede to chuckle in agreement as he tuts at the game.

Watched this for 10-20 seconds, and the bearded guy in the bottom right corner makes some pretty good observations.

That new Uncharted game just looks ghastly. Basically they achieved the low-cost "realistic" 60 FPS soap opera / daytime TV look, congratulations. I'd take mid-late 2000s 3D graphics at 30 FPS to this any day that *looks* like a game. Uh, I don't want games to *not* look like games?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I loves when normies go mad when their game go 59 fps for a couple of second on their "next-gen" hardware.

That said, this mindset is what actually killed gaming. Games quality will improve only when "next-gen" hardware won't be available/cheap anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom