Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I gave in to my darkest desires

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Forgive me, Codex, for I have sinned. After being taunted so many times by Super Meat Boy that it was better to play it with a pad than the keyboard — despite doing pretty good with the keyboard so far — I decided to buy one — a pad, that is, because I already got a keyboard. Without any special preference, I decided to go for the Xbox 360 pad, mainly because I heard most recent games were designed around it and it played rather nice with Windows. Also it should be somewhat easy to find one in the mainstream consoletard stores.

Of course it didn't go that easily. I got two consoletard stores relatively close to each other 100m away from the den of villainy I call home, but one was closed and the other one only carried wireless controllers — did I mention I loathe wireless? I had to drive to the next town and try another store. There I saw that not only did they carry the regular wired Xbox 360 controller but there was a 20% off promo on it. I saw this as a sign, though a sign of what exactly I didn't know.

And again forgive me Codex but I like the damn thing. It worked right after being plugged in and Super Meat Boy indeed plays better with it. my various emulators gladly accepted it — and damn if it feels nice to play Super Mario World with a pad — and recent games like Batman: Arkham Asylum and Darksiders just feel nice with it.

That said I tried L4D2 with it just to check how a FPS with Xbox 360 pad support plays and it was abominable. Some things just aren't made to be. Gears of War felt better though, but then again it uses popamole mechanics that have you often staring at in one direction and rarely move, unlike L4D2 where dangers comes from everywhere at random.

So I like that shit. I didn't I would but I do. It's also fun to be able to sit back a bit and relax, and my ferret tries to eat it when it rumbles. The other night I had a nightmare that I bought an Xbox 360 and an angry mob came after me with torches. Please help me!

racofer

Thread Incliner
Gragt said:
I decided to buy ...a pad....I decided to go for the Xbox 360 pad...

405886-RK1OPR9.gif

20 Eyes said:
No shame in using a console controller. The 360 controller is pretty decent, apart from the d-pad.

• 20 Eyes

20 Eyes

Liturgist
No shame in using a console controller. The 360 controller is pretty decent, apart from the d-pad.

I also used a 360 controller for Arkham Asylum. It just felt appropriate. And like you said, emulators are awesome with a control pad. It just doesn't feel right to play that shit with a keyboard, also keeping my hands away from the keyboard keeps me from using savestate cheese and feeling dirty afterward.

inb4 someone quotes my join date in a desperate effort to appease the hive-mind.

LordDenton

Augur
20 Eyes said:
No shame in being mentally challenged either. :M

Destroid

Arcane
I'll never understand why all the current official controllers have protruding d-pads, a recessed bowl like d-pad is much superior.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
A friend of mine recently showed me the controller he uses for playing emulator games:
snes_usb_controller.jpg

I want one.

Anyway, there's no shame in using console controllers for games that don't control better with a keyboard/mouse. That's mostly going to be fighting games, platformers, and pretty much anything else with heavy arcade-based roots.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Gragt said:
...and Super Meat Boy indeed plays better with it.

Told you so. :obviously: I actually got a Playstation pad -- it's basically the same button-wise but I find it to be less ergonomically retarded than the XBox controller. Also most of the newer ones come with pre-programmed software that is compatible with Windows.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can't play SHMUPS with a pad at all. It's good for Meat Boy, though.

What do you use, Black Cat? I'd love to get a custom arcade stick, but they're a bit pricey.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Joysticks are great for sims. Gamepads for fighting games, platformers and the like. Mouse and keyboard for fps and strategic games. No need to whine about one being more hardcore or better than the other. They are just tools to be used.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Nothing wrong with using a pad for games that play better on a pad. Wouldn't say that the 360 controller was a good choice, though. I always found its thubsticks to be too stiff, and the less said about the d-pad, the better. I heard it's the best pad for shooters, but you have keyboard + mouse for that.

Trash said:
Gamepads for fighting games
No. For fighting games, arcade stick > keyboard >> gamepad.

Elzair

Cipher
There is one thing I do not get about platformers on the PC. Why the fuck do none of them (that I have encountered anyway) bother to support the mouse? The NES had two main buttons, and that was enough for a lot of good games. I would much rather use a mouse and arrowkeys than the fucking keyboard alone.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Gragt said:
Forgive me, Codex, for I have sinned...I decided to buy...a Xbox 360 pad...The other night I had a nightmare that I bought an Xbox 360 and an angry mob came after me with torches. Please help me!

Topic title: I gave in to my darkest desires.

Wait... aren't you the guy who posted a thread about how you lusted for your cousin? How did that end again?

And you consider this to be a sin so severe that you need help and redemption?!?

:dizzy:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Unkillable Cat said:
Gragt said:
Forgive me, Codex, for I have sinned...I decided to buy...a Xbox 360 pad...The other night I had a nightmare that I bought an Xbox 360 and an angry mob came after me with torches. Please help me!

Topic title: I gave in to my darkest desires.

Wait... aren't you the guy who posted a thread about how you lusted for your cousin? How did that end again?

And you consider this to be a sin so severe that you need help and redemption?!?

Unkillable Cat, you were until now on my Bro list for being the kind of poster who is above inane forum antics. You are not anymore :x

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Metro said:
Told you so. :obviously: I actually got a Playstation pad [...]

Yeah, you were the one who decided me in the end even if I felt comfy enough playing SMB with keyboard. I had tried a PSX pad before but it felt too small for me and my thumbs didn't fit on the sticks.

KalosKagathos said:
Wouldn't say that the 360 controller was a good choice, though.

I'm far from being an expert on the subject, but I got the opportunity to feel (not play) a few pads before and the Xbox 360 one felt the most comfy for me, probably due to the size of my hands — I wish it was a tad larger but this is good enough. I kinda like the stiffness of the thumbsticks because I find that it lets me be more precise than if it was somehow looser. And what's that about the D-pad? So far it worked as I expected but again I'm not expert on pads so I do not know if I missed something. It's very much possible that there is better but so far that thing just feel right to me, and the promo when I got it also helped.

Unkillable Cat said:

Now that you mention it, she turned 20 in February and invited me to her birthday party. I drove her home around 3:00 and she was plastered enough to ask me to fuck her.

Unkillable Cat said:

Well, yeah! I'm a member of the PC Gaming Master Race who succumbed to the temptation of the consoletard and is enjoying it so far. I'm concerned about it though the few comments in this thread helped to make me feel a bit less dirty; bear in mind I'm not completely reassured yet. To that you oppose something benign and natural like sex between first-degree cousins, and you talk of it like it's a bad thing. I guess we do not share the same values.

Serious_Business said:
Unkillable Cat, you were until now on my Bro list for being the kind of poster who is above inane forum antics. You are not anymore :x

I wish I was your bro …

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Gragt said:
Yeah, you were the one who decided me in the end even if I felt comfy enough playing SMB with keyboard. I had tried a PSX pad before but it felt too small for me and my thumbs didn't fit on the sticks.

Oh I don't even use those sticks. Last controller I was comfortable with/used regularly was like NES or Sega Genesis. I tried to use them a few times and it just felt awkward.

Xor said:
Anyway, there's no shame in using console controllers for games that don't control better with a keyboard/mouse. That's mostly going to be fighting games, platformers, and pretty much anything else with heavy arcade-based roots.

This. Altrough real man uses arcade sticks for figtning ;)

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I wasn't really a fan of the sticks at first but after playing a bit of B:AA and Darksiders, I got the hang of it. I planned to get a pad mainly for Super Meat Boy and emulators, but the few console ports I tried it with play nicer that way — even if in some case the KB+M conversion was well-done, like B:AA.

But even without the sticks, the PSX pads are too damn small for me :D

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS FOR THE PC GAMES I BUY THE PS KNOCKOFFS CAUSE THEY ARE SO MUCH CHEAPER

I CANNOT EMULATE NES SNES OR GENESIS SHIT AND USE A KEYBOARD

J1M

Arcane
I also use a controller when I play console ports. Kindof funny that something like Darksiders is $10 on steam and still $40 for ps3.

Too bad you didn't get a wireless one. I understand the aversion but combined with xpadder, I find it makes a nice remote for my machine. You can make shortcut buttons for things like play/pause or just use it as a mouse.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Serious_Business said:
Unkillable Cat, you were until now on my Bro list for being the kind of poster who is above inane forum antics. You are not anymore

Some things just... transcend borders.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
J1M: already got Xpadder :) I got it mostly because I decided to replay the PC version of Metal Gear Solid and while the pad is recognised, it forces me to use a stick instead of the D-pad, because the D-pad in that game won't do diagonals for some reason. And since the stick doesn't do analog movements, it's a pain to use, so I used Xpadder to bind the D-pad to the keyboard arrows and it works like a charm.

Still I'm never too far from my computer even when I watch a movie, so the 3m cord is enough to use it as a remote. Thanks for the suggestion actually! I didn't think of it and that can come in handy.

There are three reasons why I dislike wireless: I don't want to bother with switching batteries, even if it's rare; knowing myself I want to be able to follow the cord to find the damn thing; my biggest ferret loves to steal stuff.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
BLOBERT said:
BROS FOR THE PC GAMES I BUY THE PS KNOCKOFFS CAUSE THEY ARE SO MUCH CHEAPER

Yep, I got a Logitech PS one for like $15.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom