Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I demand female inferiority to be reflected in stats!

BearBomber

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
BearBomber said:
No wonder i failed. Everyone fails here.

Why are you still here? GTFO and register on the Bethesda forums.

They ban trolls there.

crufty

Arcane
One more reason why hackmaster needs to exist in crpg form.

Women aren't penalized, inferiority isn't the approach. There is a difference however. Sometimes the women are stronger too, for what that is worth.

Hory

Erudite
Mareus said:
The best assasins in the world since ancient times were women.
Hello, do they have internet on Gamma Vulpeculae I, or whatever "world" you're posting from?

Mareus

Magister
Hory said:
Mareus said:
The best assasins in the world since ancient times were women.
Hello, do they have internet on Gamma Vulpeculae I, or whatever "world" you're posting from?
Kunoichi were female ninja primarily trained to use seduction and poison to kill their victims. A favorite weapon was neko-te, which were metal fingernails dipped in poison. Women played a very important roll in the ninja clans of the past. The female ninja could often use their own femininity to get very close to the enemy. Using psychological warfare and mind manipulation as weapons, the kunoichi could get in close enough to poison the victim without leaving a trace.

Kunoichi were trained differently than male ninja. Their training focused more on disguise, poisons, and using their gender to an advantage. While they were trained in close combat, they were only to make use of this knowledge when they were caught. They would usually disguise themselves as geisha, prostitutes, entertainers, fortunetellers, and the like to get very close to the enemy. It is thought that they would generally seduce the soon-to-be victim and when they get close enough, would poison them, but it is just as possible they would be disguised as a household servant, allowing them many opportunities to overhear information or get close to said victim.

Kunoichi would hide weapons in their disguise, like poisoned needles in their hair and dirks up their sleeves. They also often would turn a previously harmless item into a weapon. For example, they would learn how to break bones with their wooden shoes, put a hidden blade on their fan, or they would use an umbrella as a momentary shield.

Although I have no proof of saying that female assasins have been more successful than their male collegues, I can only presume it is easier for a woman to get close to a powerful man than it would be for regular male ninja.

There are also examples like Marie-Anne Charlotte Corday who stabbed to death the leader of of the French Revolution.
The story of the widow Judith is well known in Bible stories.
Shi Jianqiao killed warlord Sun Chuanfang on 13 November 1935 in revenge for the murder of her father. Her prominent trial generated such public sympathy that she was ultimately pardoned for the crime. etc...

Warden

Arbiter
In D&D the stat modifiers play an important role as you're able to reach high stats, which otherwise require many points.

Considering the D&D attributes, females should get -1 to -2 to strenght, dexterity, constitution (for the point DI mentioned) and intelligence. And +1 to wisdom. If we're to reflect the real world.

vendetta

Novice
I agree. Ladies are different from gentlemen. But not in the way you guys say. Ladies are superior to men!

There, I said it.

vendetta

Novice
JarlFrank said:
Says someone who joined in 2008 and has less than 100 posts.

FAIL

Well if that is true, you bloody fucker fails too. I might not post ever and never visit this place, but my joining date is much more advanced than yours. :nerd:

Fuck you, you and your sense of superiority.

deuxhero

Arcane
aron searle said:
Charisma should obviosly be replaced with breast size for females.

At what will happen if the character is a... what was the term... pettanko.

In all seriousness, PCs tend to be extrodirany people, the fact that women are weaker shouldn't really matter for someone who breaks the economey in a week.

RainSong

Scholar
Ahh so this is the infamous decline of the codex.

Finally a topic that could turn into a good discussion about rpg design and it turns into a pile of poo thanks to some low level trolling.

Erzherzog

Magister
Maerus said:
They also often would turn a previously harmless item into a weapon. For example, they would learn how to break bones with their wooden shoes, put a hidden blade on their fan, or they would use an umbrella as a momentary shield.

So in other words...Jackie Chan?

Globbi

Augur
Difference between genders is obvious, vast majority of sports is played only men vs men or women vs women, where women clearly perform worse. It is of course because woman's body is designed for carring children and giving birth.
Difference in intelligence is non existant, girls do better because of different aproach and behaviour (of course I'm generalizing).

Now, about RPGs not reflecting this - who, the fuck, cares. Changing it would not only make the most stupid and fruitless conflict about a game ever (considering the differences were meaningful), but also would make some characters suck because of wrongly chosen character sex. Is is not like a woman can't be stronger than a man, especially in most RPG where you play a superb unit chosen by gods, or whatever.

RainSong said:
Ahh so this is the infamous decline of the codex.

Finally a topic that could turn into a good discussion about rpg design and it turns into a pile of poo thanks to some low level trolling.
Nope, talking about boobs is essence of the codex.

Alright, I'll bite...

Your demand would be reasonable if:
- you got rid of all magic. In the real world people can't throw fireballs, or cast spells of any kind;
- one stab from a knife, one solid hit from a blunt weapon, and certainly one gunshot is game over. In real life even if you don't die, you'll take long enough to recover that you'll be no use for the rest of the campaign;
- no reloading or savegames. You don't get to reload, or arbitrarily pause the world in a saved state in real life, so why should you be able to to do that in a game;
- the female stat differences were relatively insignificant to ranged (espec modern weapons) combat. There is a high proportion of female troops in the militaries of many nations, and I've never known a soldier to to say that there is a great deal of combat difference ability-wise between the genders. The reason why females don't do front-line infantry is (a) concern about what will happen if they get captured, and (b) complications arising from hygiene requirements (i.e. being on their period...). From the army folks I know, the latter is the only source of any exceptions that they need to make for woman troops in training and active duty - aside from that they perform the same as men.
- stat differences between genders become minimal as you level up. Difference in physical strength and stamina between genders diminishes massively the fitter they get - i.e. difference in proportional performance between genders in peak athletes is much smaller than for non-athletes. Yep - that female rower you see in the olympics could easily kick your sorry ass D.I. at any physical challenge you could think of.
- the game can only progress in real time, including when your characters need to sleep and eat, with absolutely no allowance made for quickly advancing time. When you're waiting around for something to do, or for a particular time, in real life YOU have to sit around getting bored - no 'skip time' or 'rest' button in real life, so why should you avoid the boredom of waiting in a game?
- If your character is an adventurer of any sort, you need to spend at least two hours a day training. Because training in real life is painful and potentially boring, we can't have the experience of training in the game be simply skipped over - you will have to jab a pin into yourself every five minutes for the training period to simulate the pain, exhaustion, cuts, bruises etc that your character feels while training. If your character doesn't train, after a few days his stats will start dropping. After about 3 or 4 weeks, your character will be unfit for active duty, and will need to cease adventuring and work as a shopkeeper (again real-time with real-boredom technology) until he raises his strength and fitness through renewed training;
- no magic weapons or armour (again, these don't exist in real life);
- the game can only be set in plausibly realistic societies - i.e. ones which have an effective law suited to their time-period (whether tribal, modern, whatever) and a suitable police force and military. As such the game cannot involve your character accomplishing any quests of world significance whatsoever. Individual soliders have neglible effect in wars in real life, so why should your character have a significant effect upon the gameworld?
- your character has to start as a newborn infant (again real-time, real-boredom technology). After all, in real life you don't just appear as a fully grown adventurer! Your first year of real-time gameplay is spent lying stationary without the ability to do anything except crap your pants and cry. Then you have to go through childhood and schooling (again, just like real life, all in real time). In the incredibly small chance that your character has an upbringing that would prepare him/her for a life of adventure then you can go on and do some quests of minor relevance to the game world. Otherwise you have to get a job and spend the rest of the game at least slightly frustrated at your character's inability to do anything major with his/her life.

Sound like a fun game? If not, maybe this whole realism thing can get taken a little bit far. How about we let people have fun playing whatever gender they prefer without penalty, and then we'll think about removing some of the other pieces of realism above, hey?

Mareus

Magister
Globbi said:
Difference between genders is obvious, vast majority of sports is played only men vs men or women vs women, where women clearly perform worse. It is of course because woman's body is designed for carring children and giving birth.
Difference in intelligence is non existant, girls do better because of different aproach and behaviour (of course I'm generalizing).

Now, about RPGs not reflecting this - who, the fuck, cares. Changing it would not only make the most stupid and fruitless conflict about a game ever (considering the differences were meaningful), but also would make some characters suck because of wrongly chosen character sex. Is is not like a woman can't be stronger than a man, especially in most RPG where you play a superb unit chosen by gods, or whatever.

I must say I don't agree. There have been no RPGs that explored this into some more depth. As far as I remember only Arcanum tried something similar, but it failed because of level up system which allowed you to completely undo the gender differencies after just one level. If you actually would have a system in the game that gave different boosts to female characters after level up, it would open completely new game style. A woman would have to avoid combat, because she would just not be as good in it as a man, but she would gain some other skills which could make her achieve the goals but in a completely different manner. I don't believe throwing such an idea away with an argument "who cares" is sufficient.

Azrael the cat said:
Sound like a fun game? If not, maybe this whole realism thing can get taken a little bit far.

Or you're just a gigantic fuckwad.
emot-iiam.gif

racofer

Thread Incliner
Globbi said:

Wrong. Name known intelligent women throughout history, then compare that to known intelligent and brilliant men.

Globbi

Augur
Mareus said:
If you actually would have a system in the game that gave different boosts to female characters after level up, it would open completely new game style. A woman would have to avoid combat, because she would just not be as good in it as a man, but she would gain some other skills which could make her achieve the goals but in a completely different manner.
Let's say a woman is too weak to fight with a sword or a poleaxe, she would then be more stealth assasin or a diplomat. But, there is no reason to close diplomatic or stealth way for men.
It would then end with a few predefined characters, something like in Diablo, which doesn't suit a complex character development at all.

Mareus said:
I must say I don't agree. There have been no RPGs that explored this into some more depth. As far as I remember only Arcanum tried something similar, but it failed because of level up system which allowed you to completely undo the gender differencies after just one level.

Are you retarded? Just because average woman is physically weaker than average man doesn't mean that's some kind of a cosmic rule. There are chicks who could break you in half and use half of your spine to masturbate. Arcanum did it right.

Pegultagol

Erudite
How about not predefining starting stats for both genders but setting their limits attached to a specific level of experience?

Globbi

Augur
racofer said:
Wrong. Name known intelligent women throughout history, then compare that to known intelligent and brilliant men.
Kopernik była kobietą!

Non Poles should just ignore this post :D

Warden

Arbiter
Emotional Vampire said:
Mareus said:
I must say I don't agree. There have been no RPGs that explored this into some more depth. As far as I remember only Arcanum tried something similar, but it failed because of level up system which allowed you to completely undo the gender differencies after just one level.

Are you retarded? Just because average woman is physically weaker than average man doesn't mean that's some kind of a cosmic rule. There are chicks who could break you in half and use half of your spine to masturbate. Arcanum did it right.

Yeah, and then Drizzt Do'Urden came and masturbated with the other half of the spine.. :roll:
:lol: :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom