Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Hype Machine 1, Fallout fans Nil

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Redeye said:
Maybe the irony is you start out in Power Armor and have to abandon it to "save the ppl".
With a summonable Liam Neeson to help along the way!

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
My 2 cents:

- choice of music is somewhat lazy, but still OK
- the presence of BOS on the east coast is debatable, but not necessarily a turn-off, as we don't know any story details yet
- the music seems less"epic" than the previous one on the official site, but still not ok

All in all, I find the trailer suprinsingly fallout-ish but we can't really have any real impressions on what Bethesda is doing until we see some gameplay footage, which will probably be sometime in 2008.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
hmmm for a Trailer.. it was ok.

It seemed they did do their homework and have the Feel and Look of Fallout. I was expecting alot worse, and was somewhat surprised.

The guy in the BoS armor was interesting, however it looked like more patched up armor than a full suit of BoS Power Armor.

Anyways, waiting to see how the actual game play is going to be.

I assume it still will be Oblivian with GUNZ! Which I have no interest in. I guess I'll wait untill the Game Informer Interview is published.

Dagon

Scholar
The teaser looks pretty cool it has the Falout feel, anyone noticed the corvega banner? And the way how it is simmilar to Fallout 1 is a good thing.
And people that complain, remember the trailer for BOS? " I was born just after the bombs fell :shooting: :explosion: :shit:" the f3 one is 100000000x better

Now let's wait for the informations regarding the gameplay!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
About the building, to me it looked more as a part of a rocket facility, not an obelisk of any sorts.

Excrément

Arbiter
Actually, the trailer looks like the artworks. (for all the whiners saying the artworks doesn't count, this trailer prove them wrong)

but we can now be sure it won't be isometric, it's gonna be a first person view RPG and so real-time. doesn't disturb me, if they arrive to get a good atmosphere and keep dialog trees.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I wonder how many vocabulary nazis will spew the "it's not trailer it's a teaser!!!111!" bullshit again.

Mayday

Augur
This is the fallout 1 intro, isn't it?

Seriously, stop talking and wait for the game.

DOS-fanboy

Novice
Elwro said:
I wonder how many vocabulary nazis will spew the "it's not trailer it's a teaser!!!111!" bullshit again.

Depends on how thick the cheetos dust is on their fingers. Clogs up their keyboards.

Of course, the word "Teaser" is new to them, since the closest thing they've come to teasing is when their drunk stepfather gave them a bath.

MountainWest

Scholar
Matt7895 said:
MountainWest said:
The thing is (for everyone saying this was a good trailer): the finale of the trailer didn't have to be a cool looking guy in a power armor, holding a big ass gun. But that's what Bethesda chosed. And I'm not surprised since that's exactly the kind of mentality I'm expecting from them.

You are a fool. FO1 had a guy in power armour shooting a rebel through the head. FO2 had guys in power armour making mincemeat out of Vault Dwellers. Find something else to complain about.

My my, such harsh words. Though, your comparison implies a brain not able to see beyond the pictures.

F1: Two guys executing a defenseless rebel. This is an act forbidden even in war, but here the guys waves happily to the camera.This shows the devaluation of human life in the Fallout world.

F2: (if I remember correctly) First an info-tape showing what environmental hazards the vault dwellers should protect themself from when leaving their vault. But when they leave the vault - waving, expecting a civilized greeting - it's not those things that kill them, it's other humans.

Teaser trailer: Guy takes Terminator 2 intro pose. He was looking for something, something to either kill or defend against. This is an act very common in RPGs.

My point:

Bethesda rips off F1 intro. I have no problem with that; I thought it was a nice gesture. But then, when it's their turn to put something of their own into the trailer, then they go with the menacing looking guy wearing a power armor, holding a gun. They could have zoomed out and showned a raggamuffin father and his daughter searching through the debris, thereby showned the despair of Fallout. They could have swept upwards and showned a guy sitting on top of one of the last standing houses, looking out over the ruined city, thereby showned the devastation and sense of doom. They could have swept underground and showned people living their lifes in a vault, thereby showned the contrast of their sheltered world and the real world.

But no. Bethesda chosed the cool looking dude giving the camera a provocative/intimading look. And I'm NOT surprised. Why? because THIS is exactly what I EXPECT from them. RPGs for them is riding around killing stuff. Get it now, dumbfuck?

Lord Chambers

Erudite
The power armor figure, featured prominatly in movies from Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, equals riding around killing stuff. Got it, dumbfuck.

Honestly, I suppose I'd rather people were skeptical to a fault than the other way around, but...fuck. Obediah is right. There are months for you to make reasoned criticism about the game. Don't start hyperventilating yet.

aboyd

Liturgist
MountainWest said:
But then, when it's their turn to put something of their own into the trailer, then they go with the menacing looking guy wearing a power armor, holding a gun. They could have zoomed out and showned a raggamuffin father and his daughter searching through the debris, thereby showned the despair of Fallout. They could have swept upwards and showned a guy sitting on top of one of the last standing houses, looking out over the ruined city, thereby showned the devastation and sense of doom. They could have swept underground and showned people living their lifes in a vault, thereby showned the contrast of their sheltered world and the real world.
I think you're trying too hard to find fault with it.

MountainWest

Scholar
Lord Chambers said:
The power armor figure, featured prominatly in movies from Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, equals riding around killing stuff. Got it, dumbfuck.

I know my English isn't the best, but that's not what I said, dumbfuck. Ah, well, I have to go.

EDIT:

aboyd said:
MountainWest said:
I think you're trying too hard to find fault with it.

Yea, maybe. Though I think they've deserved it. But I guess we'll see when the xbox360/PS3/PC-Fallout 3 comes out in a year.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Mr. Teatime said:
And the combat had better be turnbased :/

Absolutely futile, pointless dreaming. Absolutely futile, pointless dreaming never changes.

Vamp

Educated
I liked the teaser but as everyone said it doesn't say anything about the actual game. If their work on Oblivion is anything to go by, you can be sure that it will be just as bad.
They fucked up TES and now it's Fallout's turn.

I'm willing to bet that they are designing this with consoles in mind just as Oblivion.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
The teaser looked alright to me, the first positive thing I've seen about the game. Still, it means nothing until we get to see some actual gameplay.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vamp said:
I liked the teaser but as everyone said it doesn't say anything about the actual game. If their work on Oblivion is anything to go by, you can be sure that it will be just as bad.
They fucked up TES and now it's Fallout's turn.

I'm willing to bet that they are designing this with consoles in mind just as Oblivion.

It really has nothing to say because the Oblivion teaser seemed pretty cool to me back then, too.
Still, at least the setting doesn't seem screwed up.

obediah

Erudite
Azael said:
The teaser looked alright to me, the first positive thing I've seen about the game. Still, it means nothing until we get to see some actual gameplay.

So far, they are right on track with Oblivion. At this point they are talking to skeptical fanbois, so we get a teaser made just for us. We may get another week or two of lip service. And then as the hype machine ramps up their pr will steadily move to the ADHD 360 thumb jockey crowd, and they will crush any hope they had built earlier.

It's a bit different, because in addition to the FO fanbois, there are all the oblivion fagg0rts chomping at the bit for more Bethesda greatness. But maybe that's not an issue, Bethesda could announce that FO3 will be a soduko game, but "it'll be great trust us" and their little trolls would take up their defense.

Commissioner

Novice
it wasn't particularly difficult to capture Fallout's atmosphere when, as the news post says, they just rehashed the Fallout intro. I find it humorous people are complaining that we're finding bad things in a teaser trailer when you've got other people practically creaming themselves over it, is that stance any more justified?

Personally I didn't find anything in the trailer, other than it was a complete waste of the time taken to download it.

obediah

Erudite
Commissioner said:
it wasn't particularly difficult to capture Fallout's atmosphere when, as the news post says, they just rehashed the Fallout intro. I find it humorous people are complaining that we're finding bad things in a teaser trailer when you've got other people practically creaming themselves over it, is that stance any more justified?

An idiot is an idiot no matter what direction they run with nothing. The OP set the tone for the thread. Start one saying that the trailer proves Bethesda will get it right and surprise us all and you'll get taken out behind the shed as well.

Personally I didn't find anything in the trailer, other than it was a complete waste of the time taken to download it.

Well the 'Fall 2008' thing was informative. It makes it clear that Bethesda is leaving a lot of time to hype the hell out of it. Not a surprise at all, but it is confirmation.

Section8

Cipher
Maybe the headline should have been "Codex afflicted with battered wife syndrome". We've been beaten and raped repeatedly in the past, and the one day he comes home and you're all like "Wow, this is the first time in ten years you've remembered my name! You're the best!"

Then later that night when he's unbuttoning your blouse, you notice your name badge from work was pinned on it the whole time, and feed yourself a guilty lie that he would have remembered it anyway and that this is the start of a new, reformed marriage with a bright future.

Hyperbole? Yes. But just because your expectations are as low as they can go doesn't mean you should be happy about getting nothing more than the bare minimum. Down in your hearts you know how it's going to end.

mister lamat

Scholar
i wonder if todd's comments regarding the intro were a hint that blur studios will be involved later on. great work from that house.

sheek

Arbiter
KreideBein said:
I'm one of those that enjoyed Fallout because of its merits as a cRPG, rather than because of its '50s atmosphere and post-apocalyptic setting, so this trailer does absolutely nothing for me.

2nd.

stargelman

Scholar
Section8 said:
Hyperbole? Yes. But just because your expectations are as low as they can go doesn't mean you should be happy about getting nothing more than the bare minimum. Down in your hearts you know how it's going to end.

kosh.jpg

In Fire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom