Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How's Invisible War storywise?

Korgan

Arbiter
I'm not going to play it or anything, just being curious. Reinstalled the original recently and once again was amazed at how perfectly its universe is constructed. Information is everywhere, all the locations and NPCs are charged with it, and you assemble the big picture yourself, filling in whatever details or hints you've cared to scrounge. There's no designer pressure to paint it in any particular color, being a tool or a self-righteous fanatic is just as easy as in the real world.
So just how much exactly did they dumb it all down? Templars in power armour can't be a good sign...

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
It's okay, not as good as the original but not horrible either. One thing it did have going for it is it is more open. The main problem is that it is too short.

DraQ

Arcane
Korgan said:
I'm not going to play it or anything, just being curious. Reinstalled the original recently and once again was amazed at how perfectly its universe is constructed. Information is everywhere, all the locations and NPCs are charged with it, and you assemble the big picture yourself, filling in whatever details or hints you've cared to scrounge.
Ah yes, the lunar mine mass-driver "accident" for instance.

Also, the makers really did their homework.

As for the sequel, I haven't played it - my (non-removed) copy critically barfed when fed into graphic card I had then - but judging from the delicious bits of information regarding gameplay (levels small, game short, guns fed with universal ammo, etc.) I would be genuinely surprised if it could be rated above "kill it with fire" by a fan of the original game.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Fat Dragon said:
It's shit, all of it.

:evil: No, it's not. The game was considerably different in terms of core design, but the story, writing and characters are all just as good as the original. Atmosphere, characterisation, sound design are all superb- however the 'teh hardcorez' are all butthurt about the universal ammo and the lack of XP.

For me, Deus Ex was all about the game-world, not power gaming. So, do yourself a favour and check it out.

Mantiis

Cipher
I remember thinking at the time that if IW was released before Deus Ex the game would have been good. It is so dumbed down that considering it as a sequel detracts from the game a great deal.

z3r'0'

Liturgist
Its shit, actually.

*spoilers*

You 're JCD clone basically. Augs, etc... JCD and Paul are wanted Terrorists. Tracer Tong makes a cameo... All factions want your help, pick one and the rest try to kill you. Plot twist - you saw coming from level one - Aug Agent chick from academy gets sent to take you out.

Four, five..? Endings. Join JCD , kil JCD & destroy world, kill JCD & save world, Become a machine - control world.

The last level in IW is the first level in DX. You will cry yourself to death . . . laughing.

Bottomline. Xbox killed IW. QED, IW sucks.

Barrow_Bug said:
Fat Dragon said:
It's shit, all of it.

:evil: No, it's not. The game was considerably different in terms of core design, but the story, writing and characters are all just as good as the original. Atmosphere, characterisation, sound design are all superb- however the 'teh hardcorez' are all butthurt about the universal ammo and the lack of XP.

For me, Deus Ex was all about the game-world, not power gaming. So, do yourself a favour and check it out.

The gameworld itself was a letdown for me, due to the following:
- lack of 'near-real-world' setting. Part of what made Deus Ex cool was how it was set in the aftermath of a faked terrorist attack on the US, creeping loss of liberties, the formerly conservative communist china becoming a beacon of industry and freedom...all a few years before september 11.
- the combining of inverted piss-pulling sci-fi conspiracy tropes (the comedy aspect), together with some actual hard sci-fi themes (the serious aspect) such as the nature of religion and the purpose of god, the nature of justice, politics, cultural indoctrination, etc
- the few branching aspects affecting the story in meaningful ways
- an awesome protagonist
- other NPCs that I liked - Simons, Paul, Jock, Gunther etc
- that even the villains had interesting character arcs, often with a great dash of irony. For example, Gunther - the one who is most machine-like and terrified of being an out-of-date machine (his last words 'I am not a machi...') has the most 'human' motivations for villainy of the lot.

By contrast, invisible war:
- had a lame protagonist, with none of JC's cool. This was a case of the designers caving to the stupidity of reviewers. Multiple reviewers criticised JC's lack of emotion (despite the in-game explanation). But what that did as a gaming mechanic is it meant that (a) JC isn't invested with anime-style predetermined motiations through his voice-acting, and (b) the player is never 100% certain of JC's full motives - he can do some pretty fucking cold stuff in that game, as well as some stuff which might be heroic, and the emotionlessness of him was a great means of implementing that. Alex D is fucking lame by comparison;
- the 'far-future' setting means that the game is completely devoid of any thematic depth, aside from an utterly asinine and predictable (as in 1st-year undergrad student-protest level) criticism of capitalist marketing. It has none of the trope-inversion of the 1st game, and none of the subtle 'beneath the surface' more serious thematic depth. Basically it's just a pop story, no depth too it - and not a very good pop story at that.
- it was the 1st game to run into 'Oblivion syndrome' - the game tries so hard to be open-ended that you almost can't branch. Kill one character and another character from the same faction will appear to offer you the exact same quest. The result is that you don't get any 'real' choice other than which faction to join in the last mission.
- the factional choices have no thematic depth compared to the 1st. Deus Ex had an awesome choice b/w 20th century capitalism with a 'more human' correcting touch, i.e. the thematic equivalent of social democracy; a JS Mill / Voltaire-style 'freedom above all, even if it means oblivion' choice where you send the world back to the dark ages for the sake of starting again with true individual freedom; and 3rdly 'perfect communism', where a truly benevolent computer/god takes over the running of everything, for the benefit of everyone, and will bring perfect peace and end poverty at the cost of complete freedom. Makes my philosophy lecturer bones tingle with delight. Invisible War gives you a shitty choice between some student-cliche of capitalism, some completely unsympathetic bunch of religious luddites and a 'perfect gaia' solution. It not only takes all the awesome details away from the factions in the first game, but it completely neuters the moral decision. The beauty of Deus Ex's endings was that it demonstrates the sillyness of a supposed 'good-wins' ending - no matter how one defines goodness, it's going to screw someone else over. The sequel's factions are either utterly unsympathisable, where you'd have no reason to join them apart from the sake of seeing what happens, or have no downside to trade off.
- it rapes the lore of the first game. Characters from game 1 change their views or act in contradictory ways with no plausible ingame explanation for their change, other than that the developers thought it 'would be a cool twist' (the 'twist' is fucking lame and predictalbe to the very stupidest of down-syndrome kiddies - in all seriousness you'll get to the big 'factions reveal themselves', and it will remind you of the short stories you wrote in primary school).

In Deus Ex almost every character grew or developed in an interesting way. In Invisible War there was only 1 character that developed in a manner that was at all interesting. And I'll certainly pay that he was well-written - he starts off as the most annoying character (deliberately), and he ends up becoming the only sympathetic character in the game. And you do get a great 'fuck everyone, we're both badass, let's just team up and take out EVERY OTHER MOTHERFUCKER THAT"S POPPED THEIR FUCKING HEAD UP IN THE GAME option:) Very cathartic given how annoying all the other characters are (and it isn't some lame 'press a button to kill everyone' option - no, you and he actually get to go around and be a 2-man wrecking squad, entering the 3-way battle between the 'real' factions, with a goal of killing the leadership (i.e. all the named characters left in the game) of each faction:).

Nice, you might think - the kind of thing that could make up for an otherwise shitty storyline. But guess what, you take that option and you're going to hit in the face with a backfire that is SO FUCKING OBVIOUS that you will find it unfuckingbelieveable that you have NO WAY of going 'hey, shouldn't we sort out this REALLY OBVIOUS problem, that ANYONE would think of, and that we are COMPLETELY CAPABLE of sorting out, before we go about doing this?'. But no, despite the fact that any non-brain-dead player can see the potential problem, both characters would CERTAINLY see the fucking problem, the game doesn't even give you the option of bringing it up, much less addressing it, until the ending slide where you sigh and go 'oh fucking really? I'm glad that one of my 2 cats didn't see that one coming - that way one out of the 3 of us was mildly surprised'. Non-fucking-linearity indeed.

It's as though in the first game you defeated Page, refused to hook up the computer, told Tong to piss off, all so you could ask the UN to run things, and then got told WHOOAHHH, YOU FORGOT ABOUT THE ILLUMINATI, SURPRISE!!!!!, with no option to deal with the illuminati problem that you and your character are both well aware of.

I actually quite liked the gameplay, unlike most of the Codex. No exp, underpowered enemies and universal ammo were disappointing, but would have been forgiven for a good gameworld and story. Pity that the gameworld and story were one of the most blatant cases of 'designed by morons, for morons' I've ever encountered.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
In terms of story, Invisible War is better. The characters are still flat, and with few exceptions uninteresting,and the plot twists aren't particularly twisty, but the story itself it quite unique.

First off, there are no bad guys in Invisible War. Sure there are people that seem sinister, and at times you HAVE to fight various factions, but by game's end you realize that there is no uber mastermind that needs to be stopped, just a number of different factions with competing goals and visions for a new future. In this respect it's very similar to Planescape: Torment.

Second, this is one of the few games to actually deal with themes, as opposed to just producing visceral satisfaction. Granted the game is rather hamhanded in its story telling, relying more on long winded philosophical conversations to communicate its ideas than through characterization and incident. That said, this is a story about ideas, which is almost unique in the video game world. The world in this particular game is on the verge of a major technological breakthrough that will radically redefine what it means to be human: universal biomodifcation, in which all talent and ability become downloadable software packages which interface with the new human organism. Such a radical change to the human condition similarly demands radical rethinking of humanity's social, economic and political arrangements. The plot of this game is fundamentally about different factions all trying to control this technology and the shape of the subsequent new world order.

Invisible War has its story telling weaknesses to be sure, but nevertheless it deals with genuinely mature themes that are worth considering in a world of rapid technological change. In this sense, it does exactly what literary science fiction is supposed to do in its best form. It's too bad that such interesting ideas had to be wrapped up in clumsy storytelling and a game that was a significant step down from its predecessor.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I didn't like the way there's no UN, FEMA, USA or other real world entities. It's all made up stuff. Deus Ex felt like it's not too far into the future, like a horrible dystopia is just around the corner.

Also it's shit.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Well, yeah, but last I checked the WTO isn't a globe-spanning nefarious organization secretly influencing international affairs from behind the scenes and bent on world dominatio... oh wait.

HotSnack

Cipher
Azrael the cat said:

I couldn't have said that better myself. Bravo sir, you have completely touched upon everything I thought was wrong about DX2, but also on the one redeeming quality of DX2 in that the game's muscle headed jock actually turns out to be a p. cool guy in the end, though I'd also like to say the valley girl turning into the most down to earth person was a good twist too (your BFF turning into a total tool however, not so much).

Flanged

Scholar
Storywise, it must have been a pretty difficult game to write, and it really does try to take into account all the choices a player might make in terms of how they behave in the game towards factions and even individual characters. The problem is that they seem to have concentrated all their efforts on this, and not put much into the main story or the backstory or even the characters themeselves.

And it's never convincing a convincing world, unlike the first. The levels are so small that despite visiting Germany, Egypt, Antartica, etc. it is still claustrophobic as hell. And everyone's thick as shit, even Tracer Tong and Paul. Even JC/Helios. You can do everything to help a single faction all the way through, and everything to mercilessly persecute another, and at the end they will all still want to be your mate.

The racism is funny, though. The "Omar" are a hive-mind race of terrorists with no emotions who can survive in arid deserts and hate all non-Omar, and cover their entire bodies in black power-burqas that only (kind of) show their eyes. One of your allies is slowly seduced by the darkside and converts to Isla... The Omar... over the course of the game.

If they win, they turn the world into a barren nuclear desert, just because they love sand.

Project: Eternity
Flanged said:
The racism is funny, though. The "Omar" are a hive-mind race of terrorists with no emotions who can survive in arid deserts and hate all non-Omar, and cover their entire bodies in black power-burqas that only (kind of) show their eyes. One of your allies is slowly seduced by the darkside and converts to Isla... The Omar... over the course of the game.

If they win, they turn the world into a barren nuclear desert, just because they love sand.

You were probably being facetious, but the Omar are more a sci-fi reference than some sort of metaphor for Islam:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organizations_in_Deus_Ex:_Invisible_War#Physiology_and_philosophy

The Omar are likely inspired by a concept introduced by science fiction author Bruce Sterling in a short story called Cicada Queen, where he introduces the idea of cyborgs, called "Lobsters", which are internally human and externally modified instead of the other way around. The Russian word for lobster is Омар (pronounced as "omar"), and so the name of the Omar references the Lobsters of Cicada Queen.

I rather liked IW, for all it's faults it was still a playable and enjoyable game though much much weaker than the original. Fucking XBOX ruined it again I guess.

And I loved the Helios ending's video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeboqg4t9vs.

Flanged

Scholar
Freelance Henchman said:
You were probably being facetious, but the Omar are more a sci-fi reference than some sort of metaphor for Islam:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organizations_in_Deus_Ex:_Invisible_War#Physiology_and_philosophy

"The Omar are likely inspired by a concept introduced by science fiction author Bruce Sterling in a short story called Cicada Queen, where he introduces the idea of cyborgs, called "Lobsters", which are internally human and externally modified instead of the other way around. The Russian word for lobster is Омар (pronounced as "omar"), and so the name of the Omar references the Lobsters of Cicada Queen."

I was being facetious, a bit, but I had no idea about the real provenance of the name and the concept, and it's pretty interesting... Kind of ruins my laughs when I think back to the game, though... and the laughs were the best memories I had of it.

It's not a terrible game, and I went to the trouble of completing it. If it hadn't been the sequel to Deus Ex it would've been pretty good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom