Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

howlongtobeat.com, a site about game lengths and girths

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
http://www.howlongtobeat.com

Averaged of course.

Fun 100% completionist run length poll numbers:
Fallout 3 - 108 Hours
TES Oblivion - 150 Hours
Dragon Age Origins - 78 Hours
Dragon Age 2 - 45 Hours
Fallout New Vegas - 116 Hours
Final Fantasy VIII - 121 Hours
TES Morrowind - 688 Hours
Disgaea - 962 Hours

That aside, sample sizes could be larger on a lot of these.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Doubt that Morrowind needs that long to complete, even checking every centimeter. I'm sure our resident Morrowind fanatic DraQ can correct me though.

Regardless, more manageable game length is one benefit of the new age. As one gets older, the free time of youth disappears.

Good site though to get an idea of the length of things. Many of those times are about right from my experience.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
commie said:
Regardless, more manageable game length is one benefit of the new age. As one gets older, the free time of youth disappears.

Can't you just save and continue playing later?

Yeah, but I hate lengthy and constant interruptions. After a while I tend to lose interest in the game I'm playing because I forget what I was trying to do, where I was exactly at, etc. That's why I still haven't finished BG or BG2 for example and these are hardly galactic length games when compared to some. Must have started each a half dozen times, but after a few chapters on and off, I lose track of who I was trying to see, what characters I met, even what the hell was I doing. The journal is no substitute.

50-60 hours is the higher end that I like to do as a completionist. Managed around 60-70 with Gothic 3 and 45 with Risen. Long enough to feel 'epic' yet not to long to lose interest in playing to completion despite interruptions to play of even several days.

Oh and I don't mind popamole shooters and such being 5 hours long. One night blasting shit to unwind and I can forget about it in the morning. Throwaway games like this still have a place, just like some CGI heavy blockbuster. Sometimes you just want to leave your brain at the door and relax and these things fit the bill. Most proper strategy/RPG/simulators are substantially longer anyway, so the '5 hour game' accusation doesn't hold true for them. It's pretty much limited to FPS.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
commie said:
Doubt that Morrowind needs that long to complete, even checking every centimeter

100% completition is subjective in games like that. For all I know whoever entered those figures only considered himself the ultimate nerevarine after he personally knocked everyone in the game unconscious and took their clothes and roleplayed as them for a day.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
commie said:

That's one of the arguments used to defend nowadays' 5-hours-long games. Can't you just save and continue playing later?

Retards have the memory of a Commodore64 nowadays.

EDIT:
Case in point:
commie said:
Yeah, but I hate lengthy and constant interruptions. After a while I tend to lose interest in the game I'm playing because I forget what I was trying to do, where I was exactly at, etc.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
dbx said:
Clockwork Knight said:
commie said:

That's one of the arguments used to defend nowadays' 5-hours-long games. Can't you just save and continue playing later?

Retards have the memory of a Commodore64 nowadays.

EDIT:
Case in point:
commie said:
Yeah, but I hate lengthy and constant interruptions. After a while I tend to lose interest in the game I'm playing because I forget what I was trying to do, where I was exactly at, etc.

Piss off. When you have a family and work and look after a boy and have fuck all time for anything else, you'll understand. Try going back to a RPG after a weeks or a months break and see how easy it is to get back int the groove. Excuse me that I don't share your losers' obsession with memorising and thinking about fucking veedio games day and night to make sure I don't forget. Some of us have real lives to live and don't obsess about games.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Clockwork Knight said:
commie said:

For a year? Also, Fallout's length of 10 hours was perfect for me.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Clockwork Knight said:
commie said:

I managed a bit more, but the length of Fallout is partly why it's the ONLY RPG I've ever replayed more than once to completion. Must have finished it 5 times, not much compared to some, but for me it's a very rare thing.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
commie said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Clockwork Knight said:
commie said:

I managed a bit more, but the length of Fallout is partly why it's the ONLY RPG I've ever replayed more than once to completion. Must have finished it 5 times, not much compared to some, but for me it's a very rare thing.
I started Fallout about 300 times. In iron man.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Invest in a DS so you can look after children and game at the same time! Or challenge them to pokemon fights and destroy them with your minmaxed squad

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
When a boy doesn't let you have one hour per week to spend on your videogames...

...it's time to kill the boy.

:lol:

Well I will say that just this morning he woke up at 4 am and I've been looking after him all day. 17 hours later he's finally asleep and I'm too fucked to play anything, just slumming the 'dex. That's how it is day after day...man, can't wait for him to be old enough to go to school.

sgc_meltdown said:
Invest in a DS so you can look after children and game at the same time! Or challenge them to pokemon fights and destroy them with your minmaxed squad

Problem is he's into astronomy among other things, so he hogs the damn PC with programs about planets and all his toons are on here as well. He's taken a liking to youtube gameplay vids of Might and Magic World of Xeen though, so that makes it all worth it. ;) In a decade there will be a new Codexer whining about the decline and pining for the early 90's....

Awor Szurkrarz said:

That's a a good idea. Game is short enough to nt feel the rage if you die half-way through.

DraQ

Arcane
commie said:
Problem is he's into astronomy among other things, so he hogs the damn PC with programs about planets and all his toons are on here as well. He's taken a liking to youtube gameplay vids of Might and Magic World of Xeen though, so that makes it all worth it. ;) In a decade there will be a new Codexer whining about the decline and pining for the early 90's....

:salute: :incline:

Also, if he's into astronomy, get him into Frontier and JJFFE.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
DraQ said:
commie said:

:salute: :incline:

Also, if he's into astronomy, get him into Frontier and JJFFE.

So far he likes to scroll around with the mouse enjoying the space views in Nexus and Homeworld. A bit graphic whorish ATM I guess ( ;) ) but after seeing that he likes sprite based, step RPG's more than the 3D variety there's hope enough to get him to appreciate the classics as a grounding. I let him play along occasionally, loading up MM3 or 4 in DOSBox, he uses the cursor keys, clicks on beasts to fight. Doesn't understand all that much obviously but is interested and enjoys the sights and sounds. :tears of pride:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
commie said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:

That's a a good idea. Game is short enough to nt feel the rage if you die half-way through.
It's one of the reasons why I'd rather play a short re-playability heaven like Fallout than a super storyfag 200 hour epic :love: .

Elzair

Cipher
That is one way I feel that Fallout: New Vegas is inferior to Fallout. I too have replayed FO 1&2 (but especially 1) many times but I still have not completed New Vegas. Even though I plan to finish it, I doubt if I will replay it any time soon.

MMXI

Arcane
villain of the story said:
That reminds me, how fast can you finish New Vegas without actually rushing everything like a power gamer?
Uninstalling doesn't take too long. 30 seconds maximum?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
MMXI said:
villain of the story said:
That reminds me, how fast can you finish New Vegas without actually rushing everything like a power gamer?
Uninstalling doesn't take too long. 30 seconds maximum?

you should try uninstalling sacred 2 with the expansion and patch

fucking amazing experience

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Fallout 3 - 108 Hours ... 2 hours
TES Oblivion - 150 Hours .... 2 hours
Dragon Age Origins - 78 Hours .... 49 hours
Dragon Age 2 - 45 Hours ... 56 hours
Fallout New Vegas - 116 Hours .... 0 hours
Final Fantasy VIII - 121 Hours .... less than 50 hours IIRC
TES Morrowind - 688 Hours .... 5 HOURS... YEAH, I WAS PUNISHING MYSELF
Disgaea - 962 Hours .... 0 hours

'Nough said.

MMXI

Arcane
Volourn said:
Fallout 3 - 108 Hours ... 2 hours
TES Oblivion - 150 Hours .... 2 hours
Dragon Age Origins - 78 Hours .... 49 hours
Dragon Age 2 - 45 Hours ... 56 hours
Fallout New Vegas - 116 Hours .... 0 hours
Final Fantasy VIII - 121 Hours .... less than 50 hours IIRC
TES Morrowind - 688 Hours .... 5 HOURS... YEAH, I WAS PUNISHING MYSELF
Disgaea - 962 Hours .... 0 hours

'Nough said.
Neverwinter Nights - 0 hours

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom