Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Howard: Codexers 'A Lot Less Crazy Than People Think'

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ion Flux said:
Brother None said:
Thrasher said:
Fallout fans = Codexers (mostly)

wtf?

No you're not. He's talking about his own forums mostly since Bethesda devs aren't supposed to go to the Codex or NMA, and when people say Fallout fans - at least the traditional ones - they're talking about NMA, not the Codex.

E-peen +1. I win.

BN's right. NMA are the ones who are gay for Fallout. We just like good games.

NMA has enough retards that think that F3 will be a good game now. So no wonder that they became not that crazy now that some of their members went "oh you know that game where everything is retarded will be awsum". It is only the Codex that shines like a lone beacon of truth in the sea of bullshit.

Texas Red

Whiner
skyway said:
Ion Flux said:
Brother None said:
Thrasher said:
Fallout fans = Codexers (mostly)

wtf?

No you're not. He's talking about his own forums mostly since Bethesda devs aren't supposed to go to the Codex or NMA, and when people say Fallout fans - at least the traditional ones - they're talking about NMA, not the Codex.

E-peen +1. I win.

BN's right. NMA are the ones who are gay for Fallout. We just like good games.

NMA has enough retards that think that F3 will be a good game now. So no wonder that they became not that crazy now that some of their members went "oh you know that game where everything is retarded will be awsum". It is only the Codex that shines like a lone beacon of truth in the sea of bullshit.

It doesn't shine. From what I've seen absolutely everything gets bashed with no reason behind it. The Codex is not informative on FO 3. Same applies to DA, TW and NWN 2 OC which have been called shit. It's no more informative than reading financed reviews on JRPGs.

Solohk

Scholar
Dark Individual said:
It doesn't shine. From what I've seen absolutely everything gets bashed with no reason behind it. The Codex is not informative on FO 3. Same applies to DA, TW and NWN 2 OC which have been called shit. It's no more informative than reading financed reviews on JRPGs.
Well... the NWN2 OC was shit. Not sure why you included TW though. It's got a nice following on this site.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Chefe said:
Instead of reading the excerpt, read the whole thing.
Only if you post it here.

It sounds good.
With Bethesda, there is a pattern of things sounding better than they end up being.

They talk about how great the animation looks, and how crazy it is when you kill people. And if you were to just pop the game in and play it, those things wouldn't register with you now, but they registered then.
Bah, nonsense. What registers with me is how uninspired ragdoll deaths with blood showers look.

If there was one thing I learned from trying to play all those old lauded RPGs a while back is that nostalgia clouds everything. After spending almost a decade with Fallout, it's hard to imagine it in a different way.
So you learned nothing. It's a cheap, paper-thin argument. You know what sucks? Monkey Island. Everyone who thinks otherwise is just nostalgic, lol!
When Fallout came out, I played it once. Later I played Fallout 2, once. Then I didn't play them for almost a decade. And then, when someone told me about a sequel being in the works, I decided to replay them, and still found them great, graphics notwithstanding.
Liking a game from the nineties after not playing it or even thinking about it for seven or eight years is a clear sign of nostalgia, not quality!

They're making games they want to play, and trying to attract an audience that also enjoys those same games.
Too bad they bought an existing franchise and thus attracted an audience that enjoyed those games.

Most anger comes from their refusal to admit that they are catering to their own audience more than to the old fans. Change? No, Fallout 3 is totally true to the spirit of the old games and even has "turnbased" combat. Choo-choo!

Solohk

Scholar
Claw said:
Choo-choo!
If I got FO3 as a gift, I don't think I could even attempt playing it until someone modded that sound out of the rail gun. For me it somehow managed to beat out nuclear catapulting teddy bears for the ultimate title of "you've gotta be fucking kidding me."

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Shannow said:
And BN, do you really think "the internet" discriminates between NMA and the Codex when they talk about "rabid" FO fans?

I don't know, but my point wasn't about the internet (well ok "people" might've been, but this is about Todd Howard specifically), it was about who Todd Howard was talking about, which is primarily his own people, on the BGSF forum. Which started out with a lot of criticaster, but they've been weeded out by now.

I think the analysis "RPGCodex is rabid about anything, NMA is rabid about Fallout 3" is accurate, and in that sense when people say "Fallout fans" they're more likely to be talking about NMA than the generalist Codex. And no wonder they dislike all of us, it's no fun to be constantly told you're wrong.

raving nincompoop said:

It always surprises me when people just flatout lie about NMA. I mean, there's plenty of stupid people on NMA, plenty of things to criticize about our attitude. But comments like "their review contained not a single positive note, not one!" is a lie, as is any claim that we hold up Fallout 1/2 as perfect games. I mean we love 'em, obviously, but perfect? Nah.

skyway said:
NMA has enough retards that think that F3 will be a good game now.

Not really.

And the recent info from the streams/videos from the pirated version converted quite a few of the people posting on NMA who "kinda liked" Fallout 3 to "fuck this game is stupid", and turned the negative ones amongst us into people just laughing about how stupid this game is.

Maybe we were on two legs about it before, y'know, the whole "looks like a good game but a bad Fallout" thing, but I think the current majority attitude is "holy shit this game looks terrible"

S_Verner

Scholar
Guys, check and see if the retards have taken over NMA with their alts and started talking about how RTwP or bullet time has been talked about.

I think they actually think that they've been listening to the fans.

D:

Sigmar help us all.

EDIT:Oh, the beth forums.

Welp.

I mean, who the fuck would actually believe that there is criticis...

Oh.

I really pity Howard right now.

Chefe

Erudite
baby arm said:
Todd's always been better than Pete at PR. Makes me wonder why they've stuck with Pete for so long. Must be his super duper backrubs.

He photographs good.

BethesdaLove said:
3. Fucklivion - guess what?... and from what ive seen in the vids, its crap

Clever.

And what's nice about all that is that you, by default, connect all the dots. When you're designing content, you know these things are there, so you can reference them. It feels tighter than if you sat down and designed a series of specific quests first. I'm inspecting set pieces, like, "Oh, this would be a really cool quest," and then we fit it into the environment.

Since when is it an achievement if you do something not completly retarded? Every dev does the world first ... And even if quest are done before the completition of all the world docs, they dont have to be crap and unfitting. Its just that beth creates games fot mentally challenged minors.

Here's strawman. Here's you attacking strawman. Run, strawman, run!

Todd: "Here's how we do things. We create the world, then put quests in it. Alot of other companies do it differently."
BL: "No you fucking idiot! That's not an achievement!"
Todd: "I never..."
BL: "Shutup Toddler! Oooh good for you! You're not doing something retarded! Big fucking whoop!"
Todd: "Anyways, we design a quest, then see how we can fit it..."
BL: "And another thing! The quests don't have to be stupid!"
Todd: "Uh..."
BL: "If quests are done first they don't have to suck!"
Todd: "I never said tha..."
BL: "You make stupid game for stupid retarded minors! Stupidhead!"

Bullshit, i dont need nostalgia to see that fucklivion sucks. I dont compare it to fallout. I just say that fucklivion sucks.

Also what retard sees "gaming journalism reviewers" as a reference?... wtf, those retards nowadays are dropouts from school and cant write for shit.

Todd: "Continuing on..."
BL: "Oblivion? More like Fucklivion! It sucks! Don't need nostalgia to see that!"
Todd: "Riiiight... Anyways, you can go back and look at those old reviews..."
BL: "You smelly pineapple porridge brain head! You dummy duck ass! Only retards see gaming journalists as a reference!"
Todd: "I... uh... said that to illustrate how perceptions have..."
BL: "No! You crazy cookie dildo breath! You slimy ugly hairball nerfish doofbag ballchin dweebenheimer!"
Todd: "..."

fuck this shit, do i have to link the thread with blantant lies about oblivion here...

Chefe: "Instead of instinctively taking what I wrote out of context, did you bother to actually read it?"
BL: "Don't make me insult you like I insulted Todd!
Chefe: "Point taken."

They. Aren't. Promising. The. Crazy. Amount. Of. Stuff. That...

Oh, damnit to hell. You won't listen anyways.

I dont give a shit about him or his retarded audience... I want fallout 3. And because of this Beth should burn to the ground! THIS IS CODEX!

Todd: "We're spending all this money and time to make a game that we want to..."
BL: "Shutup you foolish nincompoop baddie daddy! You greasy geezer mousketeer dograper! I don't care about you or what you like or what you do or who you make the game for!"
Todd: "Then why..."
BL: "Make Fallout 3 for me because I HATE YOU! I LOATHE YOU! I WANT TO THROW ABORTED FETUSES AT YOUR FACE! I WANT TO RAPE YOUR FAMILY, MUTILATE YOUR PETS, AND BURN YOU HOUSE TO THE GROUND!"
Todd: "We're... uh... making a... video game."
BL: "THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! RUN CHICKEN LITTLE! THE SKY IS BETHESDA AND IT'S GOING TO STRAP YOU UP TO A BURNING CROSS OF ACID AND SHOOT METEORS AT YOUR DICK!"
Todd: "... moving on."

... fuck himself in the eye.

You must be referring to the massive size of my cock.

Claw said:
Chefe said:
Instead of reading the excerpt, read the whole thing.
Only if you post it here.

There's a link at the end of the summary which directs you to the full review. It's not hard to miss, unless you didn't read the summary either, or are incredibly obtuse.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3 ... ector_.php

With Bethesda, there is a pattern of things sounding better than they end up being.

I believe that's a case with every gaming company. The trick is, as I mentioned, to look past the hype.

So you learned nothing. It's a cheap, paper-thin argument. You know what sucks? Monkey Island. Everyone who thinks otherwise is just nostalgic, lol!
When Fallout came out, I played it once. Later I played Fallout 2, once. Then I didn't play them for almost a decade. And then, when someone told me about a sequel being in the works, I decided to replay them, and still found them great, graphics notwithstanding.
Liking a game from the nineties after not playing it or even thinking about it for seven or eight years is a clear sign of nostalgia, not quality!

I didn't say that Fallout was a bad game. Nor did Todd, Gamasutra, or anyone else with at least half a brain. Far from learning nothing, I learned that nostalgia can bestow a mythical status upon something to make it seem greater than it really was at the time. That's not to say it wasn't great, or that it should be taken out of context with it's own time, or that it cannot be picked up by someone today and enjoyed like it was when it first came out. What it is saying is that you're turning the game into something it is not; an almost sublime and perfect status that can never be achieved.

Of course, no one is stopping you from believing that. After all, the Christians have been doing it for two thousand years. But unlike that group, you shouldn't be so quick to crucify anyone who thinks differently, unless you have a valid reason (or a really funny one). Otherwise these attacks are inane and pointless and the poor strawman is in witness protection.

Too bad they bought an existing franchise and thus attracted an audience that enjoyed those games.

How many of us would make a franchise in our own vision, and the vision of those who agree with us, if we had the opportunity? I've had dreams about taking over the Zelda franchise and deliver a proper sequel to the first two games. It would be difficult, it would do away with alot of the nonsense that ALTTP brought in, it would make the player feel alone and scared in a harsh world. I would, however, make it third person like OOT and TP. Would it be exactly like the first two? No, of course not. Would those rabid Nintendo fanboys try to crucify me? Of course. Would the world get an amazing fucking game and view the world of Hyrule in a different and new light? I believe so.

1eyedking

Erudite
skyway said:
Even though I generally despise the Codex's despising, I can't back down on Fallout 3 bitching simply because there isn't enough.

That game blatantly represents everything that is wrong with gaming today: franchise raping and milking, excessive emphasis on graphics and presentation, ludicrous amounts of publicity, dumbed-down gameplay, quasi-null fan feedback, three-line dialogues, PR spinning, journalism bribing, and a lot more.

Goddamit people, I thought you were intelligent.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Chefe, whats you point? Oblov.. Fucklivion (i mean fallout 3 - omg i called it that way - because im not funny i couldnt find a better word -.-) is a good game? For whom? For you? Define good? Run and Gun?

BL: "You make stupid game for stupid retarded minors! Stupidhead!"
Now he did stfu after that...

Todd: "I... uh... said that to illustrate how perceptions have..."
wat? No, you didnt. You said it because Oblvionv is super awesome according to reviews and Fucklivion is gonna be too, accroding to reviews.

Chefe: "Instead of instinctively taking what I wrote out of context, did you bother to actually read it?"

Dont go all euphemismic on me! Here ... read that stuff
they tried to throw out there to the community all these wild ideas, and encouraged speculation on them.
Its called lying around here!

They. Aren't. Promising. The. Crazy. Amount. Of. Stuff. That...
wat... The hype train is on full speed, 110%, fucklivion is gonna be the super duper mart shit, a bargain for 65 euros!!! Its aweshum!!!11

BL: "Shutup you foolish nincompoop baddie daddy! You greasy geezer mousketeer dograper! I don't care about you or what you like or what you do or who you make the game for!"
Todd: "Then why..."
Why what? Why rant? Because your "points" should be illegal with a punishment of 25 to life. And because beth is turning a universe, a part of my consiecnes to shit, IN PUBLIC!
But i also dont care enough to try and start an uprising to burn beth to the ground... so the 100 kcal i ate for lunch have to be used for proving you wrong.

You must be referring to the massive size of my cock.
pics or it didnt happen.

I believe that's a case with every gaming company.
no.

What it is saying is that you're turning the game into something it is not; an almost sublime and perfect status that can never be achieved.
And you fail again. I do not. I also dont speak for the guy you seem to be able to speak.

you shouldn't be so quick to crucify anyone who thinks differently, unless you have a valid reason (or a really funny one). Otherwise these attacks are inane and pointless
FIrst of, they dont think, they sell... to retards. Now do we need a definition of quality? The "wolf guy" had a list with fucklivion shit on it. To lazy to search.

Would the world get an amazing fucking game and view the world of Hyrule in a different and new light? I believe so.
Keep your beliefs to yourself, son. We are not in a church!

Chefe

Erudite
I will enjoy responding when you decide to pull your head out of your ass. Until then, I can do nothing. I actually expected your follow-up post to contain some meat since this is the Codex (insult first, then respond with intelligence), but instead there's only stupidity and whatever you call that poor excuse for English.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Well, Chefe, now that you saw past the hype, can you please tell us what is it you saw worthy of yours (and hopefully ours) attention?

Unradscorpion said:
Well, Chefe, now that you saw past the hype, can you please tell us what is it you saw worthy of yours (and hopefully ours) attention?
Chefe, what do your elven eyes see?

aries202

Erudite
I, too, have the leaked version on the internet (my curiosity got the better of me - this doesn't mean I support piracy in anay shape or form...)

I have to say that this game looks bad. The animations are poorly done, the voice acting is terrible. The destruction in the world stands out as something Bethesda has done right, but why, oh why, does everything have to so much bloom. The ghouls looks like zombies from Oblivion, the combat animations look stupid, I find, as there is something wrong with them. The interface reminds of Call of Duty 4.

And rumour has it that the main quest is taken directly from or is similar to Oblivion's. (innovation for the win here or what ? irony used..)

Basically Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns. There is nothing wrong with that, I find, as long as it is a good & fun shooter, but then they shouldn't have named the game Fallout 3 ? (rhetorical question, I know). Alas, Bethesda does not seem capable of making even that - a fun shooter with a decent main story....

Might and Magic: Dark Messiah has a better story and is the better fps game here, I find. So is FEAR.

-sigh-

and i had so much hope for this game...

-sigh.

Based on the leaked gameplay and the official gametrailer videos my cautious optimism is gone. All you do know, it seems, are fightning monsters left and right... and then maybe solve a quest a two while your doing it, ehm, I mean, in the breaks you get from fighting monsters.

I'll save my money for either a good adventure game like Rhiannon or the second NWN2 Expansion: Storm of Zehir.

Drakron

Arcane
No, the main quest is different from Oblivion.

Oblivion main quest was wasted potential as it pretty much just fetch quests with too much of "gates of hell".

Fallout 3 main quest is more "personal" but that puts it worst that the one from Oblivion since some things really do not make much sense, for example if Vault 101 was "nobody enters, nobody leaves" then how the hell did two people left and THEN returned since the other option (that was it happen before the war) is too absurd (since the war was 200 years ago).

They should taken a page from Fallout were the initial main quest was nothing but rationalization to why the player is set upon the world and its not directly connected to the real Main Quest, the biggest subversion that Bethsoft did with Fallout 3 was that they made the whole thing "personal" as previous Fallout games followed more of the TES tradition.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Chefe, are you trying to troll and get a rise out of us on every point where you are wrong, just to get attention or are you actually trying to discuss something?

For example, you put up the strawman yourself. You praised Beth for not fucking up. Then somebody points out that not fucking up "all the time" is not exactly an achievement, only for you to turn around a call "strawman!"
Seems very trollish to me, but suit yourself.

bossjimbob

Liturgist
denizsi said:
Was Chefe always this stupid?

Yes, but Bethesda, who is making the Fallout game, did not want to make a turn based game. This is far from saying that turn based is archaic.

You know they actually did say it before, that both isometric and turn-based are "old tech", "things of the past", do you not?. Todd is basically backpedaling with some damage control there.

Isometric views and turn-based mechanics *are* old tech. How is pointing out those facts heresy? Because the truth hurts?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
bossjimbob said:
denizsi said:
Was Chefe always this stupid?

Yes, but Bethesda, who is making the Fallout game, did not want to make a turn based game. This is far from saying that turn based is archaic.

You know they actually did say it before, that both isometric and turn-based are "old tech", "things of the past", do you not?. Todd is basically backpedaling with some damage control there.

Isometric views and turn-based mechanics *are* old tech. How is pointing out those facts heresy? Because the truth hurts?
First person and real-time are old tech too you know.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Drakron said:
Fallout 3 main quest is more "personal" but that puts it worst that the one from Oblivion since some things really do not make much sense, for example if Vault 101 was "nobody enters, nobody leaves" then how the hell did two people left and THEN returned since the other option (that was it happen before the war) is too absurd (since the war was 200 years ago).

I HATE THIS ARGUMENT SO MUCH

not really.

In Megaton you find out that people enter and leave all the time. You weren't even born in the Vault.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
bossjimbob said:

I just played this game called King's Bounty and it felt anything but old.

bossjimbob

Liturgist
Vaarna_Aarne said:
First person and real-time are old tech too you know.

Sure, but first person has seen its share of iterative improvements over the years. Wolfenstein 3D had everything on a single plane. DOOM introduced a "faked" Z axis, even though you couldn't look or shoot up (it was automatic). Quake and Duke 3D brought mouselook. Shaders, destructable environments, blah blah blah. You get the picture.

Taking an isometric, turn-based RPG and turning it into a 3D action game with RPG leanings is certainly a different approach than the original, for better or worse. I have no serious attachments to the original Fallout that make my blood boil with every Fallout 3 announcement. I'm actually looking forward to it. And I've got FO1 and 2 on my laptop, so it's not like I have no reference point. I just don't get the caustic vitriol.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
bossjimbob said:
Sure, but first person has seen its share of iterative improvements over the years. Wolfenstein 3D had everything on a single plane. DOOM introduced a "faked" Z axis, even though you couldn't look or shoot up (it was automatic). Quake and Duke 3D brought mouselook. Shaders, destructable environments, blah blah blah. You get the picture.

Silent Storm featured improvements over JA2, which featured improvements over X-Com. And that's only tactical turn-based games. In 4X, you have Civ IV and GalCiv2, which are deeper and graphically better than, say, Civ II or MOO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom