Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How would the Death of Steam look like?

No one consider Steam bankrupcy possible scenario in a few following years but if it happens one day, what would it look like? What's your prediction?

Will Valve make enormous effort to remove DRM from every geam available?

First step will be to stop selling games but what about servers, for how long will they be available to downloand games?

For those who a hundreds or thousand games and some much of $$$$ spent - how will you prepare? Will you download thousand of gigabytes and storage it on external HDD's/SDD's, DVD's, Blue-Rays? Or do not give a shit, let it go and pirate things you bought bought when times comes with urge to play?

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
I nuked my account many years ago, never liked the platform and I always hated the overrated fatman. Can't wait to be nuked from orbit.

JTH.jpg

Sarathiour

Cipher
censorship

Probably the right answer, it's part of those "too big to fail", it would be bought by (((a company))) in order to serve as a propaganda tool, curating the games to be in accordance with the party line. Money problem will just be resolved trough the usual mean, aka syphoning taxpayer money.
Might also be bought by epic which would offer a carryover of game available on both platform.

.Pixote.

Augur
I only have two purchased games, and a small handful of freebies on Steam, so no big loss for me. I never felt comfortable with the idea of keeping a library of games on a server somewhere, and at anytime someone could pull the plug.

The ladder of insanity -

https://steamladder.com/ladder/games/

ADL

Prophet
Valve has always said there are "measures in place" to ensure you retain access to your library but I've always wondered what that actually means assuming they're not just saying it to cover their ass. Universal Steamworks DRM bypass along with hobbyists hosting the CDNs? This is their canned response every time someone asks.
4sa1Ln6.jpg

pickmeister

Learned
Valve has always said there are "measures in place" to ensure you retain access to your library but I've always wondered what that actually means assuming they're not just saying it to cover their ass. Universal Steamworks DRM bypass along with hobbyists hosting the CDNs? This is their canned response every time someone asks.
4sa1Ln6.jpg
Steam is going to transition into the greatest bideyo gayms torrent tracker of all time and it’s going to be glorious!

For real tho, I think everyone’s gonna get fucked.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
It's a private company. They would be fucking swimming in money.
When Gaben dies/becomes senile it might be made public if no one steps up.

The 'subscription service' thing for the games probably has some fine print in it where they can dump the userbase.
You might as well think that itunes is going to fail as well though or google play if you think steam is at risk.

Norfleet

Steam Bankruptcy would be nigh impossible: What costs do they even have, considering that they are siphoning a sizeable take off of everyone else's work? They don't need to ship product to stay solvent anymore, that's why there's still no Halflife 3. They print money off the backs of everyone else.

Now if Steam were annihilated from space by a flying saucer from Mars, we'd just have to go back to PirateBay.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For those who a hundreds or thousand games and some much of $$$$ spent - how will you prepare? Will you download thousand of gigabytes and storage it on external HDD's/SDD's, DVD's, Blue-Rays? Or do not give a shit, let it go and pirate things you bought bought when times comes with urge to play?
Download everything because I have games on Steam that exist nowhere else and are too obscure to be uploaded to pirate sites.

Indie games made by a single dude in his basement with MS Paint and DAZ 3D graphics.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Gog, Epic, and Humble Bundle would just get the distro marketshare split up. I'm not a fan of Steam at all, but clearly there's no monopoly. Gamers are just lazy and go to where the easy meat is.

And I'm all for going back to physical. Let's pray GoGamer.com makes a proud return one day.

J1M

Arcane
Steam could die if it is bought out and consolidated into, say, the Microsoft store.

Codex Year of the Donut
but clearly there's no monopoly.
They're a market leader, which is frequently confused with a monopoly.
A market leader isn't inherently bad. People who shout accusations of "monopoly" at Steam rarely, if ever, cite what negative effects Steam has on the market that wouldn't be present if the market share was evenly split especially when considering most alternatives have far worse features/policies. The consumer rejection of the epic store is proof of very few people caring about what size of a cut Valve takes and/or people find the cut to be fair for the services rendered.
Steam got its position because it was far superior than the alternatives, it maintains its position because it's still far superior to the alternatives.

Personally, I enjoy that Steam tends to put the gamers before the developers and frequently makes changes that developers dislike but benefit gamers.
Would any other platform have instituted such a liberal refund policy? I don't think so, maybe GOG, but I have a feeling that if I used the refund feature on GOG half as much as I use Steam's they'd have cut me off years ago. I've been told that Steam cuts your ability to refund games off after a while if you use it too much, but I've refunded a lot of games just to try them out leaving no reason at all for refund and it has never happened to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom