Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to win Hot Seat games, while not losing friends

GoldLeader

Scholar
Hot Seat is my fav way of playing TBS games. I've played almost any TBS game there is, this way. (curse you, master of orion, master of magic and alpha centauri!) I live in a flat, together with some friends of mine, and we have a nice big couch there, with a pc, right next to it, and a plasma monitor in front of the couch, hanging by the wall. We use all of those luxuries to play HoF 2.1 in a 4-player random castle free-for-all almost every evening.

Hot seat differs from normal multiplayer with the following things: 1. It's much more diplomatically oriented, meaning that more out-of-game factors take place during a hot seat game. 2. Unless specified otherwise, all turns will be seen by other players. 3. Usually, the game will be more fun, and much faster that the usual internet games.

The Diplomatical side is also important, because we don't want to lose our friends while beating them to pulp. Why beating them to pulp is important? Well, we play heroes on hard cash. Every one tosses in 10 euros, and the winner takes all. And the loser has to buy beer for the next time when we play.

What you mostly have to remember is, that people who don't read internet sites dedicated to homm5 are addicted to that impossible-to-get-in-a-normal-game-ultimate-skill. They all do. That's why they waste their skills, and are predictable. This also enables you some options, for example, seeing that Ossir levelupping, and going for the ultimate, then gaining some brain, and trying to get destructive magic for his imbue arrow, allows you to give some "nice" advices. "No, why should you pick basic destructive magic? Pick stand your ground instead, you need it for your ultimate skill!" That way, you sound nice, and everyone's sattisfied. He, for getting closer to that ultimate skill. (Which he'll never accquire, and even if he does, you'll have more balanced skills) And you, for him, not being able to cast that imbued ice bolt - to chain lightning - to implosion.

Other important thing is, that in Hot Seat, your resources aren't limited to in-game resources. "Hmm...so you want that last beer that i'm holding? That'll cost you 5 sulfur." "Hey, i'll give you 3 cigarettes if you promise to not to take that alchemist's lab!"

More on resources - it's always better to trade with other players that using marketplace. Firstly, you can sell them that excess wood for 200gp a piece, secondly, by trading them something, you make yourself more valuable in your eyes, so they'll be less inclined to create a 3-player alliance to wipe the floor with you.

One more thing that i've noticed. In Magic:The Gathering terminology, it's called overextending. Taking more than you can hold. Some guys just want to grab that neutral castle, ASAP. That is good, right? Well, yes, if you have the resources to develop that castle. Basically, by seeing where he's going, and by knowing what resources the castle will need to develop, you can try to trade in those resources from him, and other players, to stop him from developing military, and forcing him to develop economics. And then, in a week or so, waltz in into that poorly defended, but economically boosted castle, quickly raise the military units, and enjoy the benefits of economical playing.

Other thing that you must remember is not to piss other players off with your actions - over the internet that might be not important, but here, if you piss them off, in the next game they unite and bash you to a bloody pulp. Reading Sun Tzu's "Art of War" and Machiavelli's "Prince" also helps. Actually reading those help you do everything, but HoMM hot seat has the most direct application of those.

I hope that this article was helpful, and that you'll beat those n00bs into a bloody pulp.

GoldLeader.

Atrokkus

Erudite
You can lose friends during hot seats only if they are complete and utter dumbfucks (or you are), in which case they are perfectly expendable. And how can you possibly piss them off so badly that it would evolve into a real-life conflict?

Shagnak

Shagadelic
GoldLeader said:
Other important thing is, that in Hot Seat, your resources aren't limited to in-game resources. "Hmm...so you want that last beer that i'm holding? That'll cost you 5 sulfur." "Hey, i'll give you 3 cigarettes if you promise to not to take that alchemist's lab!"
:lol:

I used to love hot seat games.
They usually involved drinking with my mates. Strategic planning got worse and worse throughout the game until we were all fucking hopeless.
Then someone would go downstairs and not come back and we would find them unconscious or throwing up in the kitchen and then we would know that the night is done.
Oh the memories. Fun times.

Fez

Erudite
I do like the option of hotseat mode in games. Any recommendations for hotseat titles?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fez said:
I do like the option of hotseat mode in games. Any recommendations for hotseat titles?

Wesnoth can be fun, as well as the HoMM games [especially 3, haven't tried with 5 yet, and I know that in 4 there is no hotseat mode]

Top Hat

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
Wesnoth can be fun, as well as the HoMM games [especially 3, haven't tried with 5 yet, and I know that in 4 there is no hotseat mode]

Yes there is, although I can't quite remember how you do it, since I haven't played the game in a while.

But then again, it's HoMM 4 - nobody's going to like you after foistering that piece of shit on them.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, how could I forget to mention it, Master of Orion 2 for some great fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom