Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry How to best enjoy Wizardry 7?

Which factions in Wizardry 7 have the most interesting NPCs / quests / items?

• Umpani

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • T'Rang

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Munk

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Dane

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Gorn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rattkin

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Helazoid

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • The Dark Savant (kc)

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
One final question before I start sketching my party on a notebook:

Is pickpocketing (Legerdemain) completely useless? Can you actually steal anything useful with a skill of 50 or lower? I really like the idea of taking both a thief and a bard to my starting party just to be able to do some pickpocketing early on while simultaneously having a guy capable of picking locks. I'd imagine pickpocketing might become useless later on, but if it can be useful during the early/mid game I'd like to try it out.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
The party is ready to begin the grand adventure.

I had to make some adjustments because Tulsi is such a greedy bitch and wants to pickpocket everyone she meets. I really wanted to have a dedicated thief, but this time TJ Kirk will have to fill that role. Only two full melee characters, but AOC is a high CON character and she should be able to take a couple of hits.

Matt = Rawulf Lord
TJ Kirk = Dragon Ninja
AOC = Dwarf Priest > Valkyrie
Tulsi = Felpurr Bard > Samurai
Nadar = Mook Psionic > Monk... or perhaps Psionic > Mage > Ninja
Bernie = Faerie Alchemist > Ninja

The main goal of the party is to have lots of different skills and spells to try out. I read online that people don't consider Psionic very powerful, but I just love all the utility spells they have available.

Most party members got 17-18 extra points during character creation, but TJ Kirk blew my brains to the wall by getting 23 extra points! That's one heck of a Dragon Ninja.

Wiz7-party.png

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
Now the characters are on 4th level and have been steamrolling every fight. The hardest fight so far was 6 Savant Guards split in two groups, but even they fell pretty easily to my mostly 3rd level characters. They were immune to Sleep, but Confusing them made the fight pretty easy.

So far the party works very well. I have been neglecting utility skills like Scouting, Swimming, Artifacts and Mapping almost completely so far though and I feel I might be missing a lot of hidden objects due to not having anyone with a decent scouting skill.

I noticed that my bard can do a melee attack even from the 4th party position if she hides in shadows first. Is this the case with all backrow characters? If so, great! No need to invest heavily on ranged skills.

I'm actually surprised how much I'm enjoying the game so far. The character progression, spell selection and the way you learn new keywords and uncover more about the world is all done in a sublime way.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
One of my favorite endgame strategies is to have all characters be able to hide in shadows.

As to scouting, use the Detect Secret spell. And characters with a high perception will often notice stuff on their own.

Swimming you can learn by doing, as long as each of them has at least a couple of points in it to begin with.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
Are Psionic's spell effectiveness reliant on INT or PER? Or just Theosophy skill and caster level?

I just suddenly started to ponder whether Psionic powers actually used PER when calculating spell effectiveness. I mean it'd make total sense since they're all about altering mental states and PER is the stat for Diplomacy etc. But again, it's impossible to find any answers regarding the question from the user manual or even the internet.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
Pickpocketing seems very hard. My bard has skill of 19 and DEX 18 and she hasn't been able to steal anything yet, despite several tries with multiple different NPCs.

Lockpicking in New City on the contrary hasn't been that difficult - there's only 3-4 locks I haven't been able to lockpick with a skill of 25.

Last edited:

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
So what's the deal with food items? Do they give some bonus or are they just something you can give as gifts to NPCs?

Finally managed to steal a couple of pieces of armor from Paluke, which I sold back to him for ~80 gold. Still waiting for the big break.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Doesn't food increase stamina levels? It's useful for swimming.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, as far as I remember you can eat breadrolls to restore stamina, useful for when the Bard ran out from playing his lute. Doesn't it just cast Restore Stamina? ... last time I was played I was like 15... almost 20 years ago.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Every genre veteran should play Wiz 6-8 if he hasn't already. Even Wiz 1 is awesome. And Grimoire obviously.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
It's quite astonishing how difficult it's to find detailed info about Wiz7 online. Some guides and walkthroughs, but no basic info about how To Hit chance is calculated, what Attributes different skills are tied to etc. Finding out basic stuff about game mechanics is like solving a Rubik's Cube.

Grimoire didn't fall far from the tree in this regard.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's quite astonishing how difficult it's to find detailed info about Wiz7 online. Some guides and walkthroughs, but no basic info about how To Hit chance is calculated, what Attributes different skills are tied to etc. Finding out basic stuff about game mechanics is like solving a Rubik's Cube.

Here you go.

jackofshadows

Magister
Every genre veteran should play Wiz 6-8 if he hasn't already. Even Wiz 1 is awesome. And Grimoire obviously.
I wish I could play Grimoire but it's the ugliest game I've ever seen. UI is simply disgusting. But I'm sure gonna play Wiz 7 eventually since I enjoyed Wiz 8 tremendously not long ago so I'm curious about this thread. One thing stops me though: as far as I know, juggling classes is basically a mandatory thing, which seems... irritating compare to Wiz 8.

xuerebx

Erudite
I wish I could play Grimoire but it's the ugliest game I've ever seen. UI is simply disgusting. But I'm sure gonna play Wiz 7 eventually since I enjoyed Wiz 8 tremendously not long ago so I'm curious about this thread. One thing stops me though: as far as I know, juggling classes is basically a mandatory thing, which seems... irritating compare to Wiz 8.

Eh, you get used to it. It's the small text and how some functions work (e.g. you have to drag an item to the assay skill to get detailed information, if you do it the other way round it doesn't work) which get on your (well, my) nerves, but after 35 hours it's become second nature. I'm finding it fun in small doses as it's quite a long game. Keep in mind my only experience with blobbers so far is Wiz 8, MM Isles of Terra, and Grimoire. Bought the rest of the MM series to slowly go through them this year.

You reminded me of another point. The UI in some older 90s games can be really primitive. I'm playing Ultima VI concurrently and the "click on icon and then click on object" to interact with things takes time getting used to. Good thing there are some mods to improve upon this.

EDIT: I was referring to Grimoire's UI. I think the 2D art is charming, as is the "supersmooth" 2.5D movement option.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I wish I could play Grimoire but it's the ugliest game I've ever seen. UI is simply disgusting.

Stop posting cringey rubbish, dude. The art style in Grimoire is more than well done and the UI has both improvements over W7, as well as a few problems. Nothing in it qualifies as "disgusting".

One thing stops me though: as far as I know, juggling classes is basically a mandatory thing, which seems... irritating compare to Wiz 8.

Wiz 8 has the same class system as Wiz 7 and class change isn't "mandatory" in either case.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron

Here you go.

I stand corrected - it worse than trying to solve a Rubik's Cube.

Even this website doesn't tell how To Hit chance is calculated. It has certainly some useful info though.

jackofshadows

Magister
The art style in Grimoire is more than well done and the UI has both improvements over W7, as well as a few problems. Nothing in it qualifies as "disgusting".
I was talking about UI, not UX. It just looks... BAD. Agree to disagree.
Wiz 8 has the same class system as Wiz 7 and class change isn't "mandatory" in either case.
If you say so. Good to know, thanks.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

HitCalcMod
A hidden stat mentioned previously, used to determine your hit odds.

Base value for fighters, priests, samurai, lords, and ninjas is (CharacterLevel/3) + 2.

Base value for mages, thieves, and bishops is (CharacterLevel/5).

If your strength is higher than 15, you get a (Strength – 15) bonus. If it’s below 6, then you get a (6 – Strength) penalty.

This value is further increased by equipping weapons, each of which has an invisible value.

Each strike’s chance of hitting is:
(HitCalcMod + MonsterAC + (3*Victim) - 1) * 5%

I am not 100% sure what “victim” means, but I think it refers to the monster’s group position in the fight. A group in the first position would have a victim value of 1, a group in the second position would have a victim value of 2, and so on, meaning monster groups in the rear group ranks are more vulnerable. This would be counterintuitive, and I have had trouble testing this theory, but it’s still my best guess on how it works.

ArmorClass
Base of 10, and reduced by armor and magic. All magic effects stack, except for multiple casts of Maporfic. Parrying has the invisible effect of reducing your AC by 2 for the round.

Your chance to be hit in melee per strike is:
(MonsterLevel + ArmorClass) * 5%

HitDam
An invisible stat representing your damage dice. Base value is 2d2, and is overridden when equipping a weapon.

If your strength is higher than 15, you get a (Strength – 15) bonus. If it’s below 6, then you get a (6 – Strength) penalty.

So let’s say you are a level 1 ninja with 17 strength, and you have a 1d6+1 weapon. Your ninja class allows you two strikes per round at level 1, and your 17 strength confers a +2 HitDam bonus. When you attack, you hit up to twice, and each hit will do 1d6+3 damage.

Thievery
A thief's chance to successfully inspect traps is Agility * 6%, but never more than 95%.

A ninjas' chance to successfully inspect traps is Agility * 4%, but never more than 95%.

Calfo works 95% of the time.

All other's chance is Agility * 1%.

A failed inspect or Calfo will reveal the name of a random trap type.

The chance for a thief or ninja to disarm a correctly identified trap is:
(50 + Character Level - Maze Level)/70

The chance for anyone else is:
(Character Level - Maze Level)/70

If disarming fails, the chance to avoid setting off the trap is Agility * 5%.

http://datadrivengamer.blogspot.com/2019/08/the-not-so-basic-mechanics-of-wizardry.html

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
You know, it is really interesting and refreshing to read someones virgin conception of the game, some that I will never have again.

Keep at it.

:greatjob:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I guess the To-Hit chance you are talking about is the same as the miss chance discussed here:

Miss chance is an influential statistic, but it is neither documented nor ever
shown in the game. You will need to use Mad God's utility to see this. It is
the largest contributor to accuracy in physical combat, and is actually
somewhat more important than weapons skill. It does not affect number of
attacks or damage; those are primarily mediated by character level, Dexterity
and Speed (number of attacks), and Strength (damage).

Miss chance works like THAC0 from AD&D 1st and 2nd edition, except that the
important die roll uses a 100-sided die, not a 20-sided die. Miss chance for
every class starts at 100 for every character, regardless of race or class. It
is modified by weapon skill, the to-hit modifier of the weapon used, the
specific attack mode you employ, and the effects of status conditions like
Irritated. +1 to hit appears to be the equivalent of -5 to miss chance. Like
THAC0, the lower your miss chance is, the more likely you are to hit a monster
in combat.

Miss chance can go down if a character gains a level, but only if the following
three criteria are met: (a) The level attained is not higher than 20; once a
character reaches 21st level, that character is forever barred further miss
chance reductions. (b) The level attained is not lower than the highest level
the character has ever achieved. (c) Base miss chance may not drop below 0.

Example: You create a brand new. At level 1 she starts with a miss chance of
100 like everyone else. You advance her to level 8; at each level-up, she gets
a reduction in miss chance (1d4+1 from being a Valkyrie). You then switch her
class to Psionic. While her level drops to 1, her miss chance remains
100-7d4-7. You then advance her to level 11. Her miss chance does not change
until level 8, when she gets a second level 8 miss chance reduction (1d3 for
being a Psionic). The level-ups from 9 to 11 also each reduce her miss chance
by 1d3, making her miss chance at the end of all this equal to 100-7d4-4d3-7.

If you are minmaxing your characters by changing class multiple times, this
ability to double-dip miss chance reductions at maximum achieved level is
something to keep in mind: if you are doing many class changes you should try
to do so at exactly the highest level that character has achieved. This target
can go upward as you reach new areas that give more experience. The game
however sometimes messes up keeping track of what your highest level achieved
is, which makes getting miss chance reductions easier (the bug described in
section 1D(6)).

Miss chance reduction by class is given in section 4, but to summarize here:

Class | Miss chance reduction at level-up
----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
Mage, Alchemist, Psionic, Bishop | 1d3 (1 to 3)
Priest, Thief, Bard | 1d4 (1 to 4)
Fighter, Ranger, Valkyrie, Lord, Monk | 1d4+1 (2 to 5)
Samurai, Ninja | 1d4+2 (3 to 6)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
....it does look pretty bad. Acceptable, certainly, but aesthetic? No way. Look how the 'brick' texture clashes with the UI element design. Check out how the marble pattern visually clashes with the bricks. Check out how small the brick 'tile' is, making the tiling pop out. Check out how the main five middle icons look as if they were clip arts from an old MS Word processor data disk. The font is hard to read because it's white on gray when it comes to the names. The 'L' is positioned poorly and looks as if it had been misplaced. The mouse cursor is a little too cheeky for this type of game. The shading on the buttons is slightly uneven, which irritates the eyes once you notice it. The middle screen element, where the game is shown, is not properly integrated into the brick wall and looks like it doesn't belong there.

I do like the dragons and the skeleton elements, but even those look like they were cropped on the left and right rather than drawn completely, which slightly reduces the appeal.

I wish to stress that none of this really bothers me as much as this post might lead you to believe; these are minor niggles. However, they are certainly things that one can improve upon.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Well, that was actually an older screenshot and there are also different backgrounds to choose from:

B138B1877C27DC5182E848EFE73FDD44C645664B

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron

HitCalcMod
A hidden stat mentioned previously, used to determine your hit odds.

Base value for fighters, priests, samurai, lords, and ninjas is (CharacterLevel/3) + 2.

Base value for mages, thieves, and bishops is (CharacterLevel/5).

This value is further increased by equipping weapons, each of which has an invisible value.

Each strike’s chance of hitting is:
(HitCalcMod + MonsterAC + (3*Victim) - 1) * 5%

I am not 100% sure what “victim” means, but I think it refers to the monster’s group position in the fight. A group in the first position would have a victim value of 1, a group in the second position would have a victim value of 2, and so on, meaning monster groups in the rear group ranks are more vulnerable. This would be counterintuitive, and I have had trouble testing this theory, but it’s still my best guess on how it works.

ArmorClass
Base of 10, and reduced by armor and magic. All magic effects stack, except for multiple casts of Maporfic. Parrying has the invisible effect of reducing your AC by 2 for the round.

Your chance to be hit in melee per strike is:
(MonsterLevel + ArmorClass) * 5%

HitDam
An invisible stat representing your damage dice. Base value is 2d2, and is overridden when equipping a weapon.

So let’s say you are a level 1 ninja with 17 strength, and you have a 1d6+1 weapon. Your ninja class allows you two strikes per round at level 1, and your 17 strength confers a +2 HitDam bonus. When you attack, you hit up to twice, and each hit will do 1d6+3 damage.

Thievery
A thief's chance to successfully inspect traps is Agility * 6%, but never more than 95%.

A ninjas' chance to successfully inspect traps is Agility * 4%, but never more than 95%.

Calfo works 95% of the time.

All other's chance is Agility * 1%.

A failed inspect or Calfo will reveal the name of a random trap type.

The chance for a thief or ninja to disarm a correctly identified trap is:
(50 + Character Level - Maze Level)/70

The chance for anyone else is:
(Character Level - Maze Level)/70

If disarming fails, the chance to avoid setting off the trap is Agility * 5%.

http://datadrivengamer.blogspot.com/2019/08/the-not-so-basic-mechanics-of-wizardry.html

Now we're talking. Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom