Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How Much Longer Until Warhammer is Shut Down?

Cambios

Scholar
How much longer do you think this MMO has? 6 months? 12? 3?

Where did Warhammer Online Go Wrong?

My guess is 6 months, tops. A large company like EA won't keep a big budget embarassment like this around if its under 100k. This is not Ultima Online.

Shannow

Waster of Time
AlaCarcuss said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Cambios said:
This is not Ultima Online.

No MMO at the market, bar maybe EVE, is UO. That's the problem

Apparently Darkfall is a pretty hardcore attempt at an UO style MMO. Don't know personally, havn't tried it.... but I'm thinking about it.
Have a look at the codex threads about it first. Seems Darkfall isn't all it wanted to be (or it wanted to be something really sucky)...
But maybe they ironed out the problems by now.

MapMan

Arcane
The producers must understand that if people want to play an almost WoW-like game they'll play... WoW. You cant beat WoW with WoW-clone, simple as that. We need more mmos like EVE.

Suicidal

Arcane
Cambios is like Andhaira in a way that I can recognize their topics without looking at who made them.

MapMan said:
The producers must understand that if people want to play an almost WoW-like game they'll play... WoW. You cant beat WoW with WoW-clone, simple as that.

Amen.

Silellak

Cipher
Emotional Vampire said:
Cambios said:

This.

MapMan said:
The producers must understand that if people want to play an almost WoW-like game they'll play... WoW. You cant beat WoW with WoW-clone, simple as that. We need more mmos like EVE.

Yes and no. A WoW clone doesn't have to actually beat WoW - it only needs to have a fraction of WoW's business in order to be considered a success. I imagine that's why we see so many of them - much easier to create a WoW clone with one or two new "killer" features, than to actually innovate and take a chance with something more original.

This is why I've started calling the MMO genre the "WoW, but with..." genre.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
This got me thinking on the categories of MMORPGs..

Space mmo: Eve-online, and a few other smaller ones.

Phase based mmo: Final fantasy, atlantica online

Fantasy mmo: WoW.. and everything else.

Skill-based mmo: Ultima online

Hero based mmo: CoH, CO

Did i miss any other categories?

Wulfstand

Prophet
Emotional Vampire said:
Cambios said:

That's kinda beside the point. Warhammer Online was pretty much designed to be the next big shit for the DaoC fans, leaving most of the fans of the above-mentioned mmo pretty excited. I guess there's no need to say mention the fact that it failed miserably, but I will, and I'll tell you why too: The game had massive realm-balancing issues. It was allways the same : so this month Order's gonna outzerg Destro 3 to 1, and the next three months Destro's gonna outzerg Order 5 to 1. There was barely any fun being constantly wiped by a hugely overwhelming army in almost any fight, and it was very boring to constantly outnumber the enemy army in almost every fight. Not to mention the constant disconecting issues caused by the huge army-blob. Add to that the fact that you'd basically see pretty much all of your keeps, towns & etc capped by the enemy realm, and I doubt you'd have any real desire to keep playing.
Also, the classes were very boring, most classes using pretty much just 2-3 skills, plus one class (the Red Wizard) being HUGELY overpowered, made the general gameplay feel very stiff and boring. I could also mention about how pretty much the only sane way of leveling up was by keep-defending all day, basically going afk with your character in the keep, letting the ranged classes defend, while you passively receive xp and renown, but some might argue about that.
All in all,I really, REALLY wanted to like the game, but it almost felt like the game didn't want to be played. A shame really, since the fantasy-Warhammer setting proved to be a pretty damn fine setting for a mmo, but meh.

obediah

Erudite
A tear for what the first warhammer MMORPG was supposed to be. But if I remember correctly it was a scam from the get go.

AlaCarcuss said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Cambios said:

Apparently Darkfall is a pretty hardcore attempt at an UO style MMO. Don't know personally, havn't tried it.... but I'm thinking about it.

Mortal Online too, apparently, but it's not out yet (in fact, I'm not sure on its current state)

Cambios

Scholar
Wulfstand said:
The game had massive realm-balancing issues.

Also, the classes were very boring, most classes using pretty much just 2-3 skills, plus one class (the Red Wizard) being HUGELY overpowered, made the general gameplay feel very stiff and boring.

Good points, and I obviously agree since those are two points that were both made here: Where Did Warhammer Go Wrong.

I should note that it is "Bright Wizard", but you definitely made your point. :)

A third realm and identical classes for all sides (perhaps only renamed or with purely cosmetic differences) would have helped enormously.

ChristofferC

Magister
Too bad this game didn't deliver after release, especially in Europe. Closed beta was pretty fun and promising. No Idea when it will be shut down but it can't be too long.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Darkfall is apparently completely in beta-stage still. Edit: that is, you are paying to betatest it.

Mortal Online would probably be a better choice since they could learn from Darkfall's mistakes (going public too early, horribly misbalanced skills, pvp issues).

But not like I'm very actively following either, so take with a grain of salt.

hal900x

Augur
Too bad about Darkfall, but if you know the history it can't be a big surprise. IIRC, it was dumped by the original devs. Some teensy little dev house in like Greece or somewhere, bought it up halfway finished. By a miracle is was actually released.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Actually, the main dick of it moved the studio to Greece due to operating costs in Norway.

Anyway, WAR now has Tier 1 free forever. Interesting move on their part.

LazyD

Liturgist
I play Darkfall online. And ive played a bit of UO in the past. I can say that DFO is the closest thing to UO on the market to date.

mortal online falls short in many aspects that darkfall has already implemented. Such as naval combat and city sieges.

with a second free expansion pack coming out soon thats going to further balance magic, archery and melee combat and more content.. things are looking good.

edit:

I realize that mortal online isnt out yet.. but they have already stated that sieging and naval combat is not in at release.. along with a lot of other things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom