Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How much Dragon Age do I have left? (SPOILERS)

Monocause

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
The Deep Roads almost made me quit and uninstall. What a fucking horrible mess of identical cavern tunnels, chests and barrels.

They were roads that passed through caverns. Now they are ruined roads infested with an ocean of darkspawn, still in the caverns. What did you really expect, lots of NPCs, frescoes and beatiful tapestries? :D

On a serious note, I liked them. On the other hand, I found the Haven temple+caves to be very boring and tedious, especially with that pathetic press-the-button puzzle at the end of it. I consider the dragon there to be the only redeeming feature of the locale.
They could've done it so much better. When still in the village I was hoping for a trap like the yuan-ti cult disguised as humans in IWD1.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Deep Roads makes the shittiest dungeon in Arcanum look like the best designed ever in comparison."

Bullshit.

dscape750

Novice
Elzair said:
Furthermore, I have heard that this RPG has some strategy elements, but I have seen nothing like that. Does it only show up at the end?

No. Well I guess ... all your party members come out at the same time for 1 scene battle. Fucking Wow. Who gives a shit. Once I got down the spell combos there was no point to even interact with anything. Just roll through and play a half assed story that doesn't make any sense.

Epic emo tears of rage and sadness fill my heart with distant sounds of cutting and blood, and my nostrils fill with shit in the agony that is this stupid fucking game.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Yeah when I walk through the woods I get that feeling of this all looks the same. Also go spelunking enough and the underground looks the same. Pick up some dirt and tell me it does not look the same...

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Clockwork Knight said:
Lesifoere said:
DreadMessiah said:
Shale is a she not a he...dumbfuck :D

Golems don't have gender, dumbfuck, and even when you talk about it, Shale doesn't really acknowledge being female as such. You're trying too hard, cretin.

"Gender" as in "behaves and thinks of self as a woman", not "has a pussy"

I'm amused at how hung-up some of you are over Shale's being or not being female. Actually, does his (and I'm using male pronouns to aggravate you fags) past life even come up if you don't bring him to the Caridin encounter?

DreadMessiah: go play Oblivion. What a pathetic excuse.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Lesifoere said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Lesifoere said:
DreadMessiah said:

Golems don't have gender, dumbfuck, and even when you talk about it, Shale doesn't really acknowledge being female as such. You're trying too hard, cretin.

"Gender" as in "behaves and thinks of self as a woman", not "has a pussy"

I'm amused at how hung-up some of you are over Shale's being or not being female. Actually, does his (and I'm using male pronouns to aggravate you fags) past life even come up if you don't bring him to the Caridin encounter?

DreadMessiah: go play Oblivion. What a pathetic excuse.
In coversation with shale in camp it is mentioned. Also your wrong and suck (not in a good way) dumbfuck.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
So, what flavor of retard do you need to be to get this worked up over DA's NPCs? Are you one of those people who raged when you found Zevran flirting with Leliana, perhaps?

Monocause said:
Lesifoere said:
The Deep Roads almost made me quit and uninstall. What a fucking horrible mess of identical cavern tunnels, chests and barrels.

They were roads that passed through caverns. Now they are ruined roads infested with an ocean of darkspawn, still in the caverns. What did you really expect, lots of NPCs, frescoes and beatiful tapestries? :D

The Underdark in BG2 is, uh, the Underdark. You know, extremely hostile, grimdark and shit. Yet, strangely enough, there're plenty of things to do there--a svirfneblin (sp?) village, the beholder caves, the illithid city, and so on. It's actually interesting. The Deep Roads and, yes, the piece of shit dungeon before the urn of sacred ashes (and to a lesser extent, the Brecilian ruins), are just tedious filler content put there to artificially extend gameplay hours. Anyone trying to excuse this as "well, it's UNDERGROUND CAVERNS DUH" is either dumb or masochistic.

Difera

Educated
Why is nobody complaining about that boring Fade/Sloth demon segment inside the Circle of Magi tower? Besides re-using the tower tilesets, had a lot of backtracking, and it kind of forces you to keep going back to every area after you get all 4 powers so you won't miss the permanent stat bonuses those shrines give...

Lesifoere

Liturgist
That too, though it was kind of fun at first trying out the shapes and what they can do. It was interesting until I realized I had to backtrack a lot. Not as bad as Deep Roads et al, but it's one of the reasons I'll never replay DA.

Data4

Arcane
Deep Roads only got tedious to me AFTER I got to
the Brood Mother
, realized I needed a shit-ton of health poultices and Lyrium potions, and went back. I saved right before the encounter, but it meant making that long trip back and forth, trying varying party combos until finally getting past that.

Grifthin

Educated
The Broodmother fight isn't that hard if you do a few things:

Stay out of the Brood Mothers Melee range while you kill the tentacles.
Pull back and shoot her full of arrows/spells while you kill all the tentacles.
Kill the mobs that swarm you.
Then attack her with warriors - preferably ones with some kind of knockdown/stun immunity.
Heal up warriors with mages when broodmother concentrates on melee. Alternately hang back, and spread out your characters cause the brood mother spit is Area of effect.
Then Pinata her with lots of Bows/singel target spells.

It's rather easy that way - no potions required, no need to back track to town. God that would be tedious to travel back and forth.

Data4

Arcane
Grifthin said:
The Broodmother fight isn't that hard if you do a few things:

Stay out of the Brood Mothers Melee range while you kill the tentacles.
Pull back and shoot her full of arrows/spells while you kill all the tentacles.
Kill the mobs that swarm you.
Then attack her with warriors - preferably ones with some kind of knockdown/stun immunity.
Heal up warriors with mages when broodmother concentrates on melee. Alternately hang back, and spread out your characters cause the brood mother spit is Area of effect.
Then Pinata her with lots of Bows/singel target spells.

It's rather easy that way - no potions required, no need to back track to town. God that would be tedious to travel back and forth.

That's basically what I ended up doing. I had everyone but Wynne and equipped with crossbows or bows in the secondary slot. I had the whole group against the back wall to melee the tentacles and darkspawn, then switched to fire/ice arrows/bolts. I also had the dog, and he was specced with high strength, dexterity, and constitution. He basically tanked while everyone else deat ranged damage.

It took me about 3 tries to settle on that strategy, so it was only 3 trips, but GOD DAMN was it a long trek through the cleared out parts. That's probably my only real beef with the game, but it's not a gamebreaker.

Project: Eternity
In the brood mother fight, there is a spot of rocky ground right in front of the brood mother where the tentacles don't reach you. My mage and Leliana stayed on that while Oghren and Alistair were sent up front to melee the brood mother. It was a pretty chaotic fight, but I could do it without too many potions used up that way. I pretty much ignored the tentacles during the entire fight.

Weresloth

Novice
Lesifoere said:
DreadMessiah said:

You are wrong a lot. Try to be right more often.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"Deep Roads makes the shittiest dungeon in Arcanum look like the best designed ever in comparison."

Bullshit.
Indeed. Even the worst dungeon in DA (the first Deep Roads cave imo, I liked all the others a lot) is better than Arcanum's. Not even close to being as incredibly shitty as the fucking BMC mines, Thanatos, and the Void, with all their copy/pasted bullshit and boring garden maze-like structure.

Why is nobody complaining about that boring Fade/Sloth demon segment inside the Circle of Magi tower? Besides re-using the tower tilesets, had a lot of backtracking, and it kind of forces you to keep going back to every area after you get all 4 powers so you won't miss the permanent stat bonuses those shrines give...
I liked that part, it felt like a nice tribute to Metroid/Castlevania-type games. Being on your own also made you consider how you engaged battles differently. And it isn't very long either, only took me about thirty minutes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom