Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How much did Baldur's Gate 2 sell?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I wonder how it compares with the Dragon Age numbers:

XBOX 360
Week 1 - 335,941
Week 2 - 173,230
Week 3 - 96,340
Week 4 - 134,460
Week 5 - 107,755

PS3
Week 1 - 155,660
Week 2 - 72,304
Week 3 - 80,920
Week 4 - 77,414
Week 5 - 59,219

Dragon Age 2

XBOX 360
Week 1 - 392,508
Week 2 - 128,897
Week 3 - 61,735

PS3
Week 1 - 163,410
Week 2 - 61,210
Week 3 - 35,455

PC
Week 1 - 148.830
Week 2 - 38.002
Week 3 - 26.165

I thought console games sold in the order of millions. Those figures aren't that impressive.

Cynic

Arcane
fucking LOL @ week 3 sales for DA2. Yep, honest reviews of shit games hurt sales, who would have thought?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They are fake magical numbers. I can come up with fake magical numbers too. So can you.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Lyric Suite said:
They are actual sale numbers. Shut the fuck up.

VGCharts is NOT actual sales data. VGCharts makes up some magical numbers and then posts them as fact (which they are NOT).

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Also remember that DA:O was released in the holiday season with a massive ad blitz before hand.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
BG2 sold 2.5-3mil copies over its entire lifetime.

"I thought console games sold in the order of millions."

Nah. The majority of console games don't. In fact, MS considers games that sell .5mil copies for their 'platinum hit' series.

As for VGChartz, it's a joke. Made up numbers are made up numbers.

Seolas

Liturgist
BG2's sales were pretty great considering it was PC only (consolepopamolemania hadn't erupted yet anyway) and didn't have the sort of mainstream advertising you see now (ie, Dragon Age 2 was a sponsor of WWE Raw a few weeks ago).

Cynic

Arcane
Volourn said:
"I thought console games sold in the order of millions."

Nah. The majority of console games don't. In fact, MS considers games that sell .5mil copies for their 'platinum hit' series.

Who are their main competitors in the console fantasy genre "niche"? Oh that'd be Square Enix. How many copies did the very shitty FFXIII sell? Around 5.5 million (pretty much all on ONE PLATFORM). How many copies did FFXII sell? Around 4.6 million, again one ONLY PS2!

FFXIII had sold over 1 million copies in the first 4 days. So Bioware wants to be getting 4.5 million in sales? They should try making BETTER games, not fucking shit games. Is it so hard to understand basic kindergarten logic?

Oh and who did they bag out for making a "linear" game before releasing DA2? That'd also be Squenix for FFXIII, then they release a 1 dungeon, 1 room copy & paste bugged out lolfest and expect it to get 4.5 million in sales?

r00fles!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
It also had the advantage of being D&D.

Then again...

DriacKin

Arbiter
Cynic said:
So Bioware wants to be getting 4.5 million in sales? They should try making BETTER games, not fucking shit games. Is it so hard to understand basic kindergarten logic?
Apparently you failed kindergarten. History has shown us numerous times that there is little to no correlation whatsoever between the quality of the product and the sales figures.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Cynic said:
So Bioware wants to be getting 4.5 million in sales? They should try making BETTER games, not fucking shit games. Is it so hard to understand basic kindergarten logic?
Apparently you failed kindergarten. History has shown us numerous times that there is little to no correlation whatsoever between the quality of the product and the sales figures.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No way now how does BIO really expect to compete with SS espicially none of their past games save mabe ME2 got past 4mil.

People really like to make up numbers, take things out of contextm, and also throw in nonsensical other companies for some shit reason.

LMFAO

Cynic

Arcane
Explain why they would not try to compete with the largest name in the fantasy genre on the consoles. Oh wait they wanted the CoD crowd. Right. Fuck that shit makes me laugh. Also I didn't make up any numbers, Japanese companies routinely report on their sales figures and I'm pretty damn sure Laidlaw said he was expecting above 4 million.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Cynic said:
Japanese companies routinely report on their sales figures

Reporting sales figures and actual sales figures are two different things. The company I worked for also routinely reported some sales figures. And every time I read one of our public announcements of sales figures I went r00fles! Because I had access to our actual sales data.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Jaesun said:
Cynic said:

Reporting sales figures and actual sales figures are two different things. The company I worked for also routinely reported some sales figures. And every time I read one of our public announcements of sales figures I went r00fles! Because I had access to our actual sales data.

Jap companies actually tend to report their sales data as sales figures (at least in smaller circles). Weird folks.

Anyway, # of copies sold is asshat measure anyway, tells nothing about the actual profit.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Haba said:
Jaesun said:
Cynic said:

Jap companies actually tend to report their sales data as sales figures (at least in smaller circles). Weird folks.

The thing is, are they reporting ACTUAL sales data. No company I know of does this. Take for example the company I used to work for:

Public News: We sold over 400 units of Product X in 6 months!
Me: (Check actual sales data. Units actually sold in over 6 months 1000). It's is really weird how they sometimes word things to the public....

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Jaesun said:
Lyric Suite said:
They are actual sale numbers. Shut the fuck up.

VGCharts is NOT actual sales data. VGCharts makes up some magical numbers and then posts them as fact (which they are NOT).

I know the developers of NBA Live and Elite follow vgchartz's numbers. One of the devs mentioned on operationsports.com that they are close enough to NPD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom