Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How much demand is there for first person RPGs with turn-based isometric combat?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Just curious, since there are a few RPGs currently in development with this premise, such as Archaelund and Saregnar.

I can see the attraction for devs, as it would make numerous elements of first person combat easier to develop and balance.

What's the attraction for players though? Is it a desire to have more cerebral turn-based combat? To have parties without the clusterfuck of first person combat? Because it combines the immersion of first person exploration with a more sophisticated combat system?

Would you like to see more of these games?

Mortmal

Arcane
Just curious, since there are a few RPGs currently in development with this premise, such as Archaelund and Saregnar.

I can see the attraction for devs, as it would make numerous elements of first person combat easier to develop and balance.

What's the attraction for players though? Is it a desire to have more cerebral turn-based combat? To have parties without the clusterfuck of first person combat? Because it combines the immersion of first person exploration with a more sophisticated combat system?

Would you like to see more of these games?
Dude, you got it wrong. There's very little demand for that alone. First and foremost, it's all about storytelling. If you want the Codex crowd, for example, go for some grimdark setting—Warhammer 40k, Fallout, anything, whatever, but grimdark and adult, with bastard choices, with a story that flatters the ego or provides a good power trip. The turn-based aspect is good to have, but it comes well after that. As long as it's tactically sound enough and does the job, there's no point in having a headache about it; people will forgive everything, even if you go first person shooter instead, aka deus ex. If you don't want the Codex but want a bigger customer base, go for a setting like the Forgotten Realms, exactly like Larian did. The combat system is a minor thing, good to have, but not the priority at all. Think setting and writing above all. The best settings are still those from the 80s and 90s—quite a sad state of affairs...

Butter

Arcane
Patron
My preference is for Wizardry combat that never breaks the perspective, but there are a lot of great games that break perspective to get the best of both worlds, e.g. the Gold Box games, some of the Ultima games, The Dark Heart of Uukrul, Betrayal at Krondor. Exploration is better in first-person, but combat is better when it can account for movement, AoO, line of sight, etc.

Just Locus

Educated
First-person RPGs with Isometric, turn-based combat sounds like a very niche mishmash of subgenres to me. I suppose I'd like to see some experimentation with that sorta idea as it sounds interesting.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
First person is good for exploring if you play a single character. For a party based game, though, I don't think much is gained by the FPP and TB isometric combat combo. The Gold Box games would have not lost any of its appeal with an overhead view while exploring.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
The Gold Box games would have not lost any of its appeal with an overhead view while exploring.
So... Hillsfar?

Hillsfar.jpg

Somehow I do not think so.

Ysaye

Arbiter
BG3 may have (slightly) increased the general public's interest in isometric turn based games, but IMO there is little interest by said audience in the specific medium.

For the Codexers, there is an interest in some quarters because it follows on the traditions of the Gold Box, Krondor and Realms of Arkania games which were quality strategy RPGs.

Additionally, I am sure many of us (as players) believe the best visual perspective for exploring a world / dungeon crawling is first person, whilst the best perspective for a quality combat that incorporates spatial elements is isometric. The downside from a player perspective with isometric combat is that it can become slow and tedious if there are lots of trash-battles, and some of us are old enough to be counting each second before we die / have to go back to work, so we place a higher value on time.

BG3 made isometric stuff fresh by adding modern touches, the thing is that most crpgs of the "new golden era" are made by burn out guys who want to cope with their mid life crisis and they just make banal copies of the games they used to do. You gotta bring something new in there.

Glop_dweller

Prophet

scytheavatar

Scholar
I feel that the Wizardry 8 gameplay is underrated and it is a shame we didn't get more games like it. But as for switching the view to isometric...... that would simply make it an isometric game with first person exploring. Hardly some great innovation from third person exploring.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
the "demand" for this combination doesnt matter tho

if you believe in your vision just make it

I would play it regardless, assuming it has quality

tons of cult RPGs are RTwP or have bad design decisions but are still timeless

Stasgard

Liturgist
I can only feel this particular choice only detracts from a game by trying to do two contradictory thing. If one desires immersive exploration that first-person provides the switch into isometric for combat is wildly jarring and going rip you right out of that experience. If you're in it for the tactical combat element, the forced first-person reduces your control of party positioning prior to combat beginning, I can't be flanking the enemy before turn one of combat for an obvious example.

Doesn't even seem like it would be particularly great for developers, you're splitting your design focus and spinning plates rather than just making one good thing.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I loathe Wizardry style first person combat (or really any non FPS first person combat), so yeah... if you're doing 1st person pov exploration, I'd rather switch to TB isometric for combat a la the Goldbox games. I'd prefer full isometric, in general though.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom