Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How long did you lurk before registering?

How long did you lurk before registering?

• Lurk? I simply registered and started whining about the codex being a cesspool.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • A few weeks/months to make up my mind before I wanted to chime in in bitching about the decline/befo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Around a year.

• 1-2 years.

• 2-3 years.

• 3-5 years.

• 6-8 years.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • >8 years.

• Drugs destroyed my sense of time. Is KC still mod? (KC option)

• Total voters

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MMXI said:
thought up the username MMXI so that I could use my username as an excuse for being a 2011 newfag
I think the first post you made that I noticed was in the M&M thread. Of course the MM in your username did not escape my attention. I have to admit I was slightly disappointed when it turned not to mean you were working on a new Might and Magic :(

ElectricOtter

MMXI said:
I was lurking for a good 3 to 4 years before signing up. I couldn't be bothered during all that time because I was fine reading through interesting threads every few days. I had always planned to register eventually, but kept putting it off because my willingness to do so at various points (not that great) was offset by the difficulty of thinking up a username. In other words, I couldn't be fucked. Then eventually I must have read some dumbfuck non-trolling post, probably something positive about a crappy game, snapped, thought up the username MMXI so that I could use my username as an excuse for being a 2011 newfag, registered and made my first post.

That's my story, anyhow.
You are one of the very few 2011 posters who's posts I've genuinely enjoyed reading. :thumbsup:

MMXI

Arcane
Sceptic said:
I have to admit I was slightly disappointed when it turned not to mean you were working on a new Might and Magic :(
I'm working on something much more ambitious.

Shannow

Waster of Time
MMXI said:
I was lurking for a good 3 to 4 years before signing up. I couldn't be bothered during all that time because I was fine reading through interesting threads every few days. I had always planned to register eventually, but kept putting it off because my willingness to do so at various points (not that great) was offset by the difficulty of thinking up a username. In other words, I couldn't be fucked. Then eventually I must have read some dumbfuck non-trolling post, probably something positive about a crappy game, snapped, thought up the username MMXI so that I could use my username as an excuse for being a 2011 newfag, registered and made my first post.

That's my story, anyhow.
Not to forget you also started off with a stupid claim about the codex that I was able to disprove in a little poll :love:
But we need more hardcore newfags, so yeah, good you registered :salute:

More ambitious than a new M&M? Are you going to fix M&M9? *g*

ChristofferC

Magister
I don't remember exactly but it wasn't more than a few weeks. I have no idea how I did not stumble upon this site earlier in my Internet life.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
I dont really remember how i came by the codex, it was probably through nma. One of the things that made me stay and lurk, was the Oblivion review by vault dweller. :salute:

So i guess i lurked for a year or two and then made a few posts, then returned to lurking for years. Now i'm back in full idiot mode.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
REGISTA INSTA CAUSE FULL OF INSIGHT THY FORUMS ARE!

Melcar

Arcane
Shit man, I don´t know. I started around the time the old BIS boards started to decline. Did not actually register until the Lair´s 5th implosion.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I first heard about this place in late 2006 when I rediscovered all my old RPGs and looked for some place to distill my fora addiction. Why I didn't end up registring I don't know though. Then I occasionally would look at the frontpage and the news, I remember reading much of VDs good articles back then. Then, last year at November or so, I thought eh, for the heck of it, just register, but lurked 1-2 months to learn codex lore and here I am.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Registered because it was the latest Rex website on the block. There were so many fansites and shit back then as well as the fallout community and even arcanum community.
So I registered, posted a bit. Then a year passed and I kind of forgot about the codex. Then I just visited and read it now and then. When I returned to posting like 5 years later I had to PM DU for a password reset because I had forgot it, lols.

Last post before posting hiatus:
Forum: RPG Codex News & Content Comments Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:11 pm Subject: Temple of Elemental Evil Review
Good stuff Surprised

Next post:
Forum: RPG Codex News & Content Comments Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:35 am Subject: Three Musketeers the RPG
So it's not turn-based? lol pass.
6 year gap of not posting. But I did visit and read quite a bit. I've never been much of a poster, as you can see from the kind of crappy one-lines I usually post.

sick

Educated
Project: Eternity
i found codex via google when i was playing baldurs gate for first time (late 2005) and than i visited it like every 2-3 months to find out what's going on in rpg world. hilarity and randomness of DA2 threads finallly made me register (however i'm pretty sure i have alrady done that in past, probalby on some spam email i dont use anymore), but i'm still more of a lurker just having lulz while reading this forum.

curry

Arcane
Haba said:
I've been here from the very start, though I did have another account at some point, so not sure if that counts as lurking.

I've been reading codex since 2003 or 2004. Had an account or two but didn't bother posting.

Proud of the newfag status though :smug:

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
15 months. The occasion for starting lurking was this post, and it soon evolved into severe lurking addiction.

I was more active on NMA before, lurking from 2000-2004 (a part of the 'Roshambo era'), then finally registering there. Have been posting mostly in the modding section over the past 7 years. You may recognise the pattern here, stumbling upon my posts usually in the Workshop and News Comments.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Pretty typical ESF refugee. I first started really getting into PC RPGs around 2002, with Baldur's Gate 2 followed by Morrowind, and various Morrowind-related forums became my internet home. Thanks to a few literate chaps in the ESF Community Discussion board, I discovered Fallout, PS:T, Bloodlines et al, and so when Oblivion came around, I enjoyed it for a while and then discovered how hollow and lacking it really was. I made the mistake of expressing this on the board, and during the glorious post-Oblivion flame wars that I take pride in having been in the thick of, one forum's name caught my eye more and more. Oblivion haters are all just trolls from RPG Codex. Only bitter assholes from RPG Codex can dislike this game. Go back to RPG Codex, lol. I had no idea what RPG Codex was, but they seemed to be doing something right. The catalyst for my visiting was a post by Rosenphelia Godot (whitemithrandir here), and a poster I knew/liked pretty well commented that he'd posted it at the Codex too. I wondered if the Codex was some ESF spinoff site that had Gone Wrong somewhere, and went to check it out. What followed was the internet equivalent of turning down a dark alley to get home quickly, being hit over the head and everything going black. Returning to ESF with a mind filled with multi-headed dicks and coherent, intelligent arguments against Oblivion phrased better than I could have managed myself, I was quickly banned on the pretense that I'd posted shock site links in a topic I'd never seen before.

So probably option 2. I joined the quickly growing crowd in the same boat that grew up around mid-late 2006, and have posted pretty much consistently since. I was never as obsessed with ESF/Oblivion as many of them, which is why I'm one of the few (only?) to stick around from that initial 2006 batch. I just wanted somewhere to discuss RPGs, and while I still loved Morrowind, my tastes had expanded and I sought fellows of a more dignified stature. This is my second account - the original is now known as "Admiral rimjob POOBUM", the sad consequence of asking DU to change my name to POOPOO MCBUMFACE. This account was originally called just that, but I've since gone back to my old name anyway.

I've been lurking since 2007, and then I got bored of being a spectator and joined up in the hopes of making something out of myself.

Three years later and I'm still nothing more than a shitstain on the face of Dark Blunderlord. Oh well.

Morkar Left

Aprox 2 years lurking before registering. Usually I'm too lazy to post stuff on the internet. I came to the side from the TES forums. Somebody linked VDs Oblivion review. I was amazed and happy to finally read somebody who has the same opinion about the game as I have.

mangsy

Educated
Didn't lurk at all. I had visited the Codex a few times for news, but had never looked at the forums. While at work one day, I decided to venture inside, and saw that people talking about good RPGs and adventure games. In particular, old stuff (like The Magic Candle series) that I hardly see anyone ever mention. I also liked that people weren't afraid to bash Baldur's Gate 2, which seems to be held beyond reproach almost everywhere else (not that it's a bad game, IMO, I just get tired of people across the internet proclaiming it the greatest RPG ever made).

Outside of the gaming subforums, GD is good for what it is: a cesspool of idiocy and racism. Reason will never retain a foothold in that place, but that's okay... It can be funny and the inanity satisfies a certain morbid curiosity re the depths of human fatuousness, creepiness, psychosis, etc.

More recently, I've been checking out the LP section. Never quite understood the point of LP's still I started exploring there. Some good stuff. :thumbsup:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
2-3 years. Even more. I had an obsession with another private forum. But then, it went into the ground and I really needed a place to vent some shit. Unfortunately, for some reason, I cannot rage properly on codex, so my activity is reduced to some retarded rage suppressed posts.
Anyway, the reason for this post is that I feel a quality drop between the old forum (4+ years ago) and the new forum. Or maybe is just an impression.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
Pretty typical ESF refugee. I first started really getting into PC RPGs around 2002, with Baldur's Gate 2 followed by Morrowind, and various Morrowind-related forums became my internet home. Thanks to a few literate chaps in the ESF Community Discussion board, I discovered Fallout, PS:T, Bloodlines et al, and so when Oblivion came around, I enjoyed it for a while and then discovered how hollow and lacking it really was. I made the mistake of expressing this on the board, and during the glorious post-Oblivion flame wars that I take pride in having been in the thick of, one forum's name caught my eye more and more. Oblivion haters are all just trolls from RPG Codex. Only bitter assholes from RPG Codex can dislike this game. Go back to RPG Codex, lol. I had no idea what RPG Codex was, but they seemed to be doing something right. The catalyst for my visiting was a post by Rosenphelia Godot (whitemithrandir here), and a poster I knew/liked pretty well commented that he'd posted it at the Codex too. I wondered if the Codex was some ESF spinoff site that had Gone Wrong somewhere, and went to check it out. What followed was the internet equivalent of turning down a dark alley to get home quickly, being hit over the head and everything going black. Returning to ESF with a mind filled with multi-headed dicks and coherent, intelligent arguments against Oblivion phrased better than I could have managed myself, I was quickly banned on the pretense that I'd posted shock site links in a topic I'd never seen before.
Well, I'll be frank. I was sort of okay with Oblivion. I mean, I never installed that game with particularly high expectations, I enjoyed it for the week or two I played it, and then I never played it again, until Shivering Isles was released, which I also played for a week. Didn't lose anything by playing it, and didn't lose anything by ceasing to play it. That's what I expect would or should have been anyone's reaction.

So my question to all you ESF guys is: why do you care? You had strong words to describe ESF games when you liked them. You had strong words to describe ESF games when you stopped liking them. And while I do think that the ESF people have a poor sense of proportion, if what you say is true, I do wonder why the ones wanting to make "coherent, intelligent arguments against Oblivion" bother. They too seem to have a bad sense of proportion as well. Is it because they want to convert others and make sure they see the light too? I don't know.

I'd say it is sort of like Father James Coughlin (or was Loughlin?), who was once a communist who believed that FDR was a Wall Street puppet and international financiers were responsible for every bad thing, and then later became an anti-communist who saw communist conspiracies everywhere.

It's as if the strongest Oblivion critics are trying to cleanse their former love for Oblivion and Morrowind, by posting theses on what's wrong with Oblivion. Surely a point of equilibrium has to come for you guys, when you say, "Eh, whatever."

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Morrowind was my favourite game, I had huge expectations for Oblivion, I was 14-15 and angry and I had too much free time. There's not really much more to it.

Surely a point of equilibrium has to come for you guys, when you say, "Eh, whatever."
I was never as obsessed with ESF/Oblivion as many of them, which is why I'm one of the few (only?) to stick around from that initial 2006 batch. I just wanted somewhere to discuss RPGs, and while I still loved Morrowind, my tastes had expanded and I sought fellows of a more dignified stature.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I learned about the Codex on NMA, I joined after about two years of lurking. I got lured out by the thread about Fallout vs. Arcanum.

The newest mainstream cRPG that I have played was NWN which I uninstalled in the first chapter when I discovered that I can't kill civilians.

Well, I found the site after SaintP's Neverwinter Nights review, which was one of the few critical ones there was (still wish I would have read it before buying that turd). Didn't register for awhile for two reasons:

1. The Codex was a very different place back then, and not my kind of place.

2. Forums (for me) were just for trolling/shitposting back then.

Topher

Cipher
I lurked (read without registering for a little under a year) but I didn't actually start actively posting (more then a few times each year) until 2009-2010, about 2-3 years after first lurking/registering. I registered more or less just because and to be honest I'm not even sure that I post often enough to be considered anything more then a lurker.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
MMXI said:
I was lurking for a good 3 to 4 years before signing up. I couldn't be bothered during all that time because I was fine reading through interesting threads every few days. I had always planned to register eventually, but kept putting it off because my willingness to do so at various points (not that great) was offset by the difficulty of thinking up a username. In other words, I couldn't be fucked. Then eventually I must have read some dumbfuck non-trolling post, probably something positive about a crappy game, snapped, That's my story, anyhow.

That's exactly mine story too. :salute: :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom