Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How Is Larian's BG3 Treating the Lore? And Returning Characters? BG3 Spoiler Herein.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I expect we've all noticed a trend in games/films in recent years where the new company wants to make the IP their own. This usually involves treating established characters and lore like shit. I probably wont play BG3, but I am curious as to how it treats the returning characters. So far:

Jaheira seems to have poor voice acting, Minsc doesn't have the humor of the original Minsc and I just watched a video of Viconia where:

SPOILER:

She also looks like a moose (English expression for fugly). I'm sure there is another path to this scenario? But this one in particular just looks like Larian decided it's never gonna please the grognards, so why not just troll 'em instead?.

Although if they do happen to treat these three returning characters with skill, I probably would buy the game. Just that I'm not really impressed with what I'm seeing so far.

Edit: Just read the "Will You Play BG3 Thread?" guess I can't take back saying I'd play it if they handled the returning characters well now. Although this may be the opportunity to find out if Jaheira had a cock. Might have explained Khalid's stutter...

Last edited:

Aemar

Arcane
Minsc doesn't have the humor of the original Minsc
You actually need people with some writing talent and a genuine sense of humour in order to come up with something decent that might match up the quality of the original games to some degree. The xe/xir people are usually seriously lacking in the sense of humour department.

You actually need people with some writing talent and a genuine sense of humour in order to come up with something decent that might match up the quality of the original games to some degree. The xe/xir people are usually seriously lacking in the sense of humour department.
What the fuck? Are we defending Minsc now? It's always been seen as a mumbling meme retard, how was that "quality"?

Also, I wonder what happened to Jaheira's original VA.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What the fuck? Are we defending Minsc now? It's always been seen as a mumbling meme retard, how was that "quality"?

Also, I wonder what happened to Jaheira's original VA.
Agreed, Minsc was as bland as retarded as an NPC could be.

Funny NPCs? Xzar-Montaron. Edwin. Safana.

But Minsc and Dynaheir were always just cringe overload.

Longes

Augur
I really hate the canonization of "giant miniature space hamster" as a totally real thing. Instead of "this one brain-damaged retard thinks his hamster is a space alien, but what if he's right *x-files music*", we have constantly and repeatedly confirmed that no, Minsc is totally right and his hamster is the speciallest hamster ever.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I really hate the canonization of "giant miniature space hamster" as a totally real thing.
The miniature giant space hamster was established as canon in the AD&D 2nd edition Monstrous Compendium Spelljammer Appendix, released in 1990!

kxytj9.jpg

jqd1lo.jpg

"Miniature Giant Space Hamster: Being the same size as a normal hamster (AC 10, MV 1, hp 1, etc.) this creature is often kept as a pet."

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I’m pretty sure the miniature giant space hamster was a joke the writers threw in, but I can’t be sure since the squark and duckbunny et al exist.

Mauman

Learned
I’m pretty sure the miniature giant space hamster was a joke the writers threw in, but I can’t be sure since the squark and duckbunny et al exist.
Spelljammer was made intentionally goofy as a "screw you" from the authors to the publishers as they (the publishers) mandated that the dnd crew make a serious space-oriented dnd setting.

WTF is point of miniaturized variant when it's has the same stats as normal hamster?

See above.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Spelljammer was made intentionally goofy as a "screw you" from the authors to the publishers as they (the publishers) mandated that the dnd crew make a serious space-oriented dnd setting.

Are you sure since Spelljammer Campaign Box Set is pretty serious in tone. All it does is link the various campaign settings together using outer space.

Now there has been a very long history up to that point where TSR didn't take itself too seriously. There are plenty of jokes if you know where to look.

Mauman

Learned

Are you sure since Spelljammer Campaign Box Set is pretty serious in tone. All it does is link the various campaign settings together using outer space.

Now there has been a very long history up to that point where TSR didn't take itself too seriously. There are plenty of jokes if you know where to look.
http://grubbstreet.blogspot.com/2011/02/spelljamming-innnn-spppaaaaaace.html

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/539/539628p1.html

TLDR - they were demanded a standard sci-fi setting, and they went off the rails as much as possible.

That's not to say there weren't serious elements, but they intentionally went from spaceships to "flying snail-things". That says quite a lot.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

http://grubbstreet.blogspot.com/2011/02/spelljamming-innnn-spppaaaaaace.html

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/539/539628p1.html

TLDR - they were demanded a standard sci-fi setting, and they went off the rails as much as possible.

That's not to say there weren't serious elements, but they intentionally went from spaceships to "flying snail-things". That says quite a lot.

You seem to be under the impression that I was disagreeing with you. I wasn't. I'm just stating what we saw when it was released. I was alive then when it did release.

It's hilarious that the first article said essentially what I did in that it was used to link all the campaign worlds together.

Your Gamespy article is wrong on a great many things. Like AD&D 2E came about due to how badly Saint Gary had written 1E. Saint Gary was a great idea man, but he was a shit writer. That's why every one of the successful versions of original D&D were written by someone else. 2E was begun as a project in 1985 long before Lorraine ousted Saint Gary. David Zeb Cook was personally appointed by Saint Gary to oversee the rewrite. In fact, Saint Gary wrote a few articles before his ouster about what would be in AD&D 2E. Pretty much everything he wrote was put into the final product even against Lorraine's wishes.

Mauman

Learned
You seem to be under the impression that I was disagreeing with you. I wasn't. I'm just stating what we saw when it was released. I was alive then when it did release.

It's hilarious that the first article said essentially what I did in that it was used to link all the campaign worlds together.

Your Gamespy article is wrong on a great many things. Like AD&D 2E came about due to how badly Saint Gary had written 1E. Saint Gary was a great idea man, but he was a shit writer. That's why every one of the successful versions of original D&D were written by someone else. 2E was begun as a project in 1985 long before Lorraine ousted Saint Gary. David Zeb Cook was personally appointed by Saint Gary to oversee the rewrite. In fact, Saint Gary wrote a few articles before his ouster about what would be in AD&D 2E. Pretty much everything he wrote was put into the final product even against Lorraine's wishes.

A - so was I. Alive, that is.

B - ok.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

A - so was I. Alive, that is.

B - ok.

:hero:

Notice that in the second part of my statement about the humor is that it was present in a lot of what they did. Take for example rust monsters. They were added as a joke based upon finding a toy in Hong Kong and added to depower the party.

Sunri

Liturgist
Sarevok got the worst treatment, it's like they made whole ToB non canon

Jesus fucking Christ.

First Viconia, now Sarevok.

Both slaves to the gods without their own agenda, is that how worship in dnd works? Viconia even admits that she destroyed shar enclave and killed her worshiper because shar ordered her to do it ??? that was so weird

N'wah

Literate

I don't know. They turned Balduran into a Mind Flayer you can fuck.

So yeah, next time you play Tales of the Sword Coast fret not about Balduran's fate. Take solace in the knowledge that Balduran, long after Gorion's Ward (who bore his sword, shield, and armor into battle) fades into legend, will still be around - enjoying bear dick.

Longes

Augur

John Baldursgate Abdel Adrian, the Chaotic Neutral Human Fighter from the novelization, is the canon Gorion's Ward. Novels are the canon version of what happened in BG 1 and BG 2, and AFAIK Abdel Adrian canonically does not redeem Sarevok (although he does resurrect him). He eventually becomes the Duke of Baldur's Gate, lives to ~150 years old, and dies by transforming into the Slayer and massacring a bunch of townsfolk before being put down by the adventuring party from Murder In Baldur's Gate.

PmHaSv2.png
X7bGhrd.png

Q48hoZw.png

Longes

Augur
They turned Balduran into a Mind Flayer you can fuck.

:hmmm:

i somehow do and don't want to know more at the same time
The Dream Visitor waifu you create in chargen is actually Balduran who's been turned into a mindflayer. You are getting catfished. You can fuck him, but you get busted by your party who have an appropriate reaction.

1FkIU4b.png

ChAfJIx.png

XDrOjaG.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom