Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News How George Ziets would make BG3

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Didn't DnD have a ruleset for ascending to godhood back in the AD&D/pre A&D days?
I mentioned BECMI in post #12 but nobody cared :(
They weren't bad but it seemed they weren't really thought out that well - they changed the scope and focus of D&D completely. Plus, young teenager me had a terrible time trying to figure out a campaign in it. Master rules were already bad, by only giving you very loose ideas for campaigns. At least Basic had a proper example dungeon, Expert had a proper example MontyHaul-campaign and Champion had a proper BecomeAKing!-campaign, which really helped our group. Mind you, we were all pretty young and it was our first P&P RPG ever.

That explains why he's always frolicking with the Seven Sisters.
If you know more, please share. I've heard that one before but no-one has ever explained if there was something special about Seven Sisters, aside from the typical "Ed can hardly get any IRL, so his alter ego bangs gorgeous babes left & right, including the Goddess of Magic"-shtick.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I feel the need to point out that one of the resolutions of ToB was for PC to reject his divine heritage and decline godhood.

Therefore, the underlying fundamentals of this pitch is aimed at only a specific ending of the Bhaalspawn saga. The decisions of a developer do not invalidate the actions of the player, and it is a misfortune every time it happens. That's why the more limited the background for the PC, the better.

Unless, of course, he wants to design a console like God of War, and really have nothing to do with the baldur's gate legacy.
Too late, they already invalidated BG1 decisions in BG2.

Dorateen

Arcane
I know, for example, the party that was pre-selected to be caged up in Irenicus' dungeon with the PC, right? A lot of people were upset with that decision, as it would seem to negate whatever joinables the player took along and finished BG with. That was pretty horrible.

However, I played with a custom party, so it didn't much affect me. Even when Imoen comes along to release the PC, she was simply patted on the head and sent away. The meddling of the developers was to a degree limited for me.

I was thinking some more about what I posted. If one wants to dwell upon it deeper, the essence of Bhaal, the very godhood of the Lord of Murder, represents the game designer's heavey-handed attempt to force a narrative on the player. In that sense, rejecting godhood at the end of ToB, had this satisfying sense of rejecting the writer's vision as well. One of the concluding passages in that particular epilogue is "Your life is yours."

That was glorious.

Kirtai

Augur
That explains why he's always frolicking with the Seven Sisters.
If you know more, please share. I've heard that one before but no-one has ever explained if there was something special about Seven Sisters, aside from the typical "Ed can hardly get any IRL, so his alter ego bangs gorgeous babes left & right, including the Goddess of Magic"-shtick.
Didn't Elminster raise some of them after their parents died?
Wow, that sounds so creepy.

Moribund

A droglike
Not to mention he spent most of his time training under the goddess mystra transformed into a female, who chose him as her chosen one because of god knows why. And he easily beat every other wizard he faced almost immediately with no effort at all.

It's the most masturbatory self indulgent nonsense possible, or so I thought until the later bioware games came along.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well, to be fair, Elminster did struggle with some of his early opponents, but yeah, he did overcome them easily enough and later it just becomes utterly boring because nothing can even challenge him. Hell, even in "Elminster in Hell", he has all these tricks up his sleeves. Why the original Mystra chose him as her first Chosen is never explained. But at least the centuries-long apprenticeship explains why they fell in love - though why the second Mystra chose to fuck him as well is beyond me. At least she then erased his memories so they wouldn't hamper him from serving her "properly".

As for the Seven Sisters, yes, Mystra gave them to Elminster as little pre-pubescent girls, to raise. That Simbul fell in love with him is easy to understand - happens often enough in such relationships - but that E fell in love with her as well is pretty creepy. Though they only consummated their relationship a century or two later. Still, it's pretty laughable how the other six just shrug and go "well, everyone deserves love", instead of raising a fuss. Storm, at least, should have been raising hell, considering her personality.

It's the most masturbatory self indulgent nonsense possible, or so I thought until the later bioware games came along.
Pretty much yeah. Though the fact that big parts of it were brought directly from their P&P-sessions explains it, partially. Which is why I was wondering there was some behind-the-scenes explanation for the Seven Sisters.

Still, there are some juvenile awesome moments in the books, like when Simbul throws a fucking mountain on top of an army of demons in Abyss while trying to rescue Elminster.

Ah, just remembered that in one of the books, his apprentice turns against him. Of course, she's yet another gorgeous babe, wearing thigh-high black leather boots and when, at the end of the book, she gets killed, her dying words went something like: "I only turned to evil because you wouldn't love me like you love Mystra". This was before the Seven Sisters appeared. IIRC, the original Mystra thought that after that ordeal, Elminster needed therapy so after fucking him silly, she dropped the girls in his lap so he could properly play Daddy.

So yeah, Ed Greenwood probably has some interesting issues. :?

Kirtai

Augur
It gets even better. I not long ago read that Elminsters body was destroyed so he's currently a disembodied spirit living in the head of one of his great granddaughters. Yet another cutie who happens to be a thief. Not to mention also a stripper & prostitute. Whos body he can control.

So yeah...

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Oh shit, I haven't kept up with the books in years - Elminster in Hell was the last I read. Now I gotta track down the newer ones if it really gets that twisted. Ed Greenwood probably writes the sex scenes as well but only publishes them at Literotica under a pen name or something.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Didn't DnD have a ruleset for ascending to godhood back in the AD&D/pre A&D days?
I mentioned BECMI in post #12 but nobody cared :(
They weren't bad but it seemed they weren't really thought out that well - they changed the scope and focus of D&D completely. Plus, young teenager me had a terrible time trying to figure out a campaign in it. Master rules were already bad, by only giving you very loose ideas for campaigns. At least Basic had a proper example dungeon, Expert had a proper example MontyHaul-campaign and Champion had a proper BecomeAKing!-campaign, which really helped our group. Mind you, we were all pretty young and it was our first P&P RPG ever.
Oh, I agree completely. And as with any P&P rules, they would need work and lots of house-ruling to implement in a game. Still, it was the first thing that crossed my mind, and I still prefer them to 3rd ed Epic levels :)

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Ah, just remembered that in one of the books, his apprentice turns against him. Of course, she's yet another gorgeous babe, wearing thigh-high black leather boots and when, at the end of the book, she gets killed, her dying words went something like: "I only turned to evil because you wouldn't love me like you love Mystra". This was before the Seven Sisters appeared. IIRC, the original Mystra thought that after that ordeal, Elminster needed therapy so after fucking him silly, she dropped the girls in his lap so he could properly play Daddy.

So yeah, Ed Greenwood probably has some interesting issues. :?
It's extra creepy because the Seven Sisters were basically Mystra's biological daughters.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I'm surprised Roguey missed that Lesi reviewed Greenwood's Silverfall book, that mostly deals with the Seven Sisters dropping their clothes on every page.

http://requireshate.wordpress.com/2...enwood-ed-greenwood-neckbeard-extraordinaire/

2776890864_fdbcdec02e.jpg

Kirtai

Augur
Stormlight is mostly about Storm (one of the seven sisters) losing her clothes a lot iirc. Sad thing is he manages to justify it. (If you can accept that the characters are superhumanly tough and can heal but clothes can't as an explanation which is kinda ehhh...).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm surprised Roguey missed that Lesi reviewed Greenwood's Silverfall book, that mostly deals with the Seven Sisters dropping their clothes on every page.
I haven't read the majority of her reviews because fantasy fiction is garbage, especially the licensed kind. I don't need to spend an hour or more reading all those "Here's why this book is bad!" articles when I can tell they're bad just from looking at the covers.

Johannes

Arcane

http://requireshate.wordpress.com/2...enwood-ed-greenwood-neckbeard-extraordinaire/
"Every male eye below turned toward her. The lady was daring indeed, to come as an outlawed, evil being, wearing little more than a pair of gleaming black buttock-high boots, with silver heel spikes, and elbow-length gloves of the same material. Her breasts and loins were covered by little more than crisscrossing leather straps hung with spindle-shaped rock crystal stones, and a black ribbon encircled her throat. Her hair reached to the backs of her knees in a magnificent, raven-dark sweep that was bound in a cage of silver chain ending in two delicate chains, little larger than glittering threads, that hung in loops attached to the spurs of her boots. Two tiny bells hung from pointed silver medallions glued to her nipples, and she wore a calm, crooked smile that broadened as the man known as Dauntless swept up to her and proffered his arm. As she turned to display herself to him, the two gaping cousins saw that a walnut-sized diamond bulged glitteringly from her navel, and that a tiny sculpted dagger hung point downward from the cluster of diamonds and silver scrollwork at her loins."

:bravo:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Let me guess, the entire review revolves around how the book is offensive to each and every woman that ever walked the earth and says nothing otherwise. Good reviews are good reviews. I always check if a book is offensive to women before I read it. It's an important aspect of literature.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

"Every male eye below turned toward her. The lady was daring indeed, to come as an outlawed, evil being, wearing little more than a pair of gleaming black buttock-high boots, with silver heel spikes, and elbow-length gloves of the same material. Her breasts and loins were covered by little more than crisscrossing leather straps hung with spindle-shaped rock crystal stones, and a black ribbon encircled her throat. Her hair reached to the backs of her knees in a magnificent, raven-dark sweep that was bound in a cage of silver chain ending in two delicate chains, little larger than glittering threads, that hung in loops attached to the spurs of her boots. Two tiny bells hung from pointed silver medallions glued to her nipples, and she wore a calm, crooked smile that broadened as the man known as Dauntless swept up to her and proffered his arm. As she turned to display herself to him, the two gaping cousins saw that a walnut-sized diamond bulged glitteringly from her navel, and that a tiny sculpted dagger hung point downward from the cluster of diamonds and silver scrollwork at her loins."

:bounce:

FTFY

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I thought the line "I’m not sure what exactly this guy is wearing, but whatever it is I’m positive it looks fucking stupid." was pretty funny. Also Ed Greenwood is creepy as hell. Love his crazy eyes in the very first second of that video.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom