Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do obviously bad ideas like endurance system in poe end up in the final game?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
- Both games suffer from level being too important syndrome, where you are basically forced into a linear exploration path (on hardest difficulty), because encounters will be too easy, too hard or just right, all within 1 level of each other.
This honestly strikes me as the more endemic issue, because the issues of the previous games - and I think you're lowballing it on very small issues with there being much bigger ones in each of those games in the context of "obviously bad ideas" - because "level being too important"-syndrome isn't really being discussed much, yet you see it more and more in both PnPs and CRPGs, where "leveling" has to "matter" and has to be "felt", which in turn often reduces levels to numbers bloat that throws the entire curve of the game off, and along with it, any degree of verisimilitude that could possibly exist, since even a group of lower-level goons often pose no threat whatsoever to even a single over-leveled character.

Pitchforks should still hurt, dammit, and a whole mob of peasants should still be a threat to a mid-to-high-level character.

This was THE issue with D:OS II

This was already an issue with D:OS 1. Enemies even one or two levels above you were incredibly more powerful than your party, more so than the growth of stats per level should be.

I think the D:OS games treat level like its own stat, so whenever there's a big difference in levels between two entities, certain bonuses are given to the higher level entity, independently from the actual benefits of a higher level (like HP, stats and skills).

Erebus

Arcane
My favorite approach to hit points, wounds and healing is the system used in Betrayal at Krondor. Each character has Health points and Stamina points (roughly 50/50). When a character is hurt, he loses Stamina points ; if he has no Stamina points left, he loses Health points. The loss of Stamina points has no impact on the effectiveness of the character, but the loss of Health points does : all your other stats diminish proportionally to your Health (meaning that a character with a single Health point left has very little chance of hitting an enemy).

In PnP, having to keep track of how your lowered Health modifies your other stats would be a pain in the ass, but that's not a problem in a CRPG.

Also, if a character drops to 0 Health but the battle is won, the character isn't truly dead, he's just seriously wounded. After that he'll remain stuck at 1 Health until he drinks a massive amount of healing potions (or rests for a really long time).

That eliminates the need for resurrection spells (always a source of contradictions and absurdities in settings where they're widely available). At the same time, it makes dropping to 0 Health something you really want to avoid.

I'm not sure how many CRPGs use a system like that (other than Betrayal in Antara, obviously, as its rules are almost identical to BaK's).

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
My favorite approach to hit points, wounds and healing is the system used in Betrayal at Krondor. Each character has Health points and Stamina points (roughly 50/50). When a character is hurt, he loses Stamina points ; if he has no Stamina points left, he loses Health points. The loss of Stamina points has no impact on the effectiveness of the character, but the loss of Health points does : all your other stats diminish proportionally to your Health (meaning that a character with a single Health point left has very little chance of hitting an enemy).

In PnP, having to keep track of how your lowered Health modifies your other stats would be a pain in the ass, but that's not a problem in a CRPG.

Also, if a character drops to 0 Health but the battle is won, the character isn't truly dead, he's just seriously wounded. After that he'll remain stuck at 1 Health until he drinks a massive amount of healing potions (or rests for a really long time).

That eliminates the need for resurrection spells (always a source of contradictions and absurdities in settings where they're widely available). At the same time, it makes dropping to 0 Health something you really want to avoid.

I'm not sure how many CRPGsYou use a system like that (other than Betrayal in Antara, obviously, as its rules are almost identical to BaK's).

Health and Endurance in PoE was similar along with the wounds. I liked that system. As for the title of the thread ppl use words like obviously and clearly to cover up (mostly to themselves) the missing arguments they’re unable to muster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom