Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview How CD Projekt RED treats gamers as people

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
RPGness aside, BG2 is a much better game than Diablo: Auction House Edition.

visions

Arcane
Ok Bros, it is time for me to make a shocking revelation. You see, Polish RPG scene has very little to do with cRPGs - in fact until not so long ago cRPGs were seen as reterded offshoots of the 'proper' P&P RPG systems. Why this is important?

Bacause when Polish devs talk about RPGs, their complexity and paving new paths they don't think of 'worthless and boring' games of yesteryears such as Ultima, Wizardry, Eye of Beholder, Dark Sun, Arcanum and stuff like that. They think more about all the fun adventures they had with Warhammer, Earthdawn, Vampire, AD&D... with a twist. RPG scene here has utmost contempt for rulesets, tables, digits, dice and all that nonsense - instead they focus on storytelling. Yep, in their eyes cRPGs should not about 'tactical combat' (there are wargames for that) nor about boring character progression (every shooter has that) - all RPGs are means of telling an interactive story.

I've kept my distance from the rpg scene here (Estonia) but from the occasional browsing of relevant local forums, I've gotten a similar impression. Shit like actual, real-life LARPING seems to be held in much higher regard than crpgs for instance (they also seem to think it's closer and on our biggest roleplaying forum when I've occasionally browsed it, I've seen Might & Magic called "not an rpg" whereas Dragon Age was being praised for how it, in contrast to most crpgs, manages to resemble their p&p experiences.

P&P and larp seem to go more hand in hand there than crpgs and p&p do, leaving the expression that their conception of roleplaying is as something more akin to what you do in drama class.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This is all you need to know about Poland:

No, this video isn't 30 years old.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
all gamers are people, but the specific demographic that your company is targeting are more people than others

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
. And yes, as far as storytelling is concerned they are doing much more complex RPGs than anyone since Planescape."

No. fuck no. Hell fuck no.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
6021cf76.png

________R00fles

made

Arcane
Bacause when Polish devs talk about RPGs, their complexity and paving new paths they don't think of 'worthless and boring' games of yesteryears such as Ultima [...]
That mindset isn't exactly unique to Poland. Or Eastern Europe. Or anywhere else.

You will have noticed that Bioware are hugely successful with their interpretation of "RPG" in the west. And Ultima is still considered a pioneer and seminal work of the genre despite being extremely light on complex "RPG" mechanics.

Only Codex aspies would reduce the genre to a particular narrow subset.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
You will have noticed that Infinity Ward are hugely successful with their interpretation of "FPS" in the west.

dats appeal to the people fallacy, you might as well say skrillex interpreted dubstep very successfully so those dubstep people who are probably resignedly mumbling 'electro-house' should stop being so protective of genre labels hooo yeah I am a heavy metal fan green day is awesome

also the ultima series has strengths and features rarely found in other genres despite having only 3 stats like the open world, freedom of action, interactivity, spellcasting and item management systems, bisexual pirate bathhouses etc etc and those are the strengths that should be built on instead of being referred to as chaucerriffic

nobody thinks amazing combat and character building when they think of ultima, surely you realise their fondness comes from the other traits which easily cemented the game's genre-specific worth for them

you need to come at this from another angle

Gerrard

Arcane
Ok Bros, it is time for me to make a shocking revelation. You see, Polish RPG scene has very little to do with cRPGs - in fact until not so long ago cRPGs were seen as reterded offshoots of the 'proper' P&P RPG systems. Why this is important?

Bacause when Polish devs talk about RPGs, their complexity and paving new paths they don't think of 'worthless and boring' games of yesteryears such as Ultima, Wizardry, Eye of Beholder, Dark Sun, Arcanum and stuff like that. They think more about all the fun adventures they had with Warhammer, Earthdawn, Vampire, AD&D... with a twist. RPG scene here has utmost contempt for rulesets, tables, digits, dice and all that nonsense - instead they focus on storytelling. Yep, in their eyes cRPGs should not about 'tactical combat' (there are wargames for that) nor about boring character progression (every shooter has that) - all RPGs are means of telling an interactive story.
Oh, the great "To roll or not to roll?" debates in the mail section of Magia i Miecz.

Bahamut

Arcane
This is all you need to know about Poland:

No, this video isn't 30 years old.

May I point out that this song is a parody of another song from 1987 1983, which even 25 years ago was intended as a joke? ;)

The problem is that, potatos (especialy those rural village people), take stupid mockeries and jokes as AWESOME SUMMER HITS, WUB WUB WUB, driving their cars in the evenings, maxing the vollume and pretend IM SO AWESOME

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Their ego = as big as David Gaider's earlobes. lots of mutual brown-nosing with their target potatoland drm obsessed fanboys going on there. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom