Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How about them BG3 rumours?

Eldar

Novice
I can understand the argument that, if gameplay is the major factor, then the game should be called something else. In fact, though, I just don't see why it's a major issue to the consumer. Of course they want to use the BG name to sell more games. That's the point. On the other hand, I just want a good game and if the publisher wants to slap the name Baldur's Gate on the package, I don't care.

Jedi359

Liturgist
I understand what you're saying. It just makes me mad that the developer's essentially ended the series, and now, years later, they've decided to say "Hey, fuck that. Let's milk this cash cow." It also seems lazy to me, I guess.

If it ends up being a good game, it's not a big deal. But I think we can all agree that if this game turns out sucky, that slapping the Balder's Gate name on is just a ploy to try to add some of the series prestige to it. We'll see.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"just feel as though they are beating a dead horse"

Really? Dead horses tend not to sell... I wonder if BG3 - any BG3 - won't sell. Hmm..

"It just makes me mad that the developer's essentially ended the series"

Well... TOB was actually invisioned to be BG3; not just an expansion to BG2. Obviously, lots of things that had to cut and/or changed because of Interplay rushing it out as an expansion pack. A big expansion; but an expansion nontheless. In fact, amny of TOB's weaknesses probably could be traced beck to that decision. ie. The quick levelling, the ph@t lewt, and the underdveloped main villainess, etc., etc.

The BG series deserves a true BG3. :cool:

plin

Liturgist
Jedi359 said:
I think that's the problem with marketing these days. It's more important to turn a quick profit than it is to create new, original games.

Maybe so. But they could also be making a spiritual successor of gameplay. Not just story.

A good example of just making a quick buck and beating a dead horse is the final fantasy series. But Baldur's Gate is more of a series, and I would have had no problem with a BG III which had nothing to do with the first two, especially with what J.E. was doing with Jefferson. I'd say something like that isn't making a quick buck, but making a buck.

And since they bought the rights, then good for them for naming it Baldur's Gate III, they deserve it. Hopefully it will be a good CRPG though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"beating a dead horse is the final fantasy series."

Piss poor example. The FF series is *not* a dead horses. dead horses don't sell millions of copies. :roll:

Seven

Erudite
Really? Dead horses tend not to sell... I wonder if BG3 - any BG3 - won't sell. Hmm..

Why not just kill the anology and go with the truth; they're milking the franchaise name not beating a dead horse. I suppose this was you point, right?

The BG series deserves a true BG3.

That's the whole point of disagreement isn't it? Because of TOB the alleged BG3 will not even be a spiritual successor to BG2+expansion. Why is it you're not at all worried about this?

plin

Liturgist
Volourn said:
"beating a dead horse is the final fantasy series."

Piss poor example. The FF series is *not* a dead horses. dead horses don't sell millions of copies. :roll:

I think he meant beating a dead horse as in, whoring it out to no end. Which they are. Whatever, it's been a long day. Fuck off volourn.

Surlent

Liturgist
But rehashing titles will lead to beating dead horse if they don't sell.

FOBOS was a good example, old (appreciated?) title used to make just another action hack 'n slash game especially on new platform. The people who knew the title were likely PC players who liked the original two, but knowing the new title would bear nothing what made the originals good games, they decided to skip it.The ones who didn't know the title (likely many console gamers) just looked the game once, didn't notice anything different from other action games and moved on.

However it's too early to say that about BG3. We don't know enough who is going to make it, even if Bio is involved or not, just likely possibilites.
It doesn't have to be another console game.
But there is possibiliity it is.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Whatever, it's been a long day. Fuck off volourn."

R00fles! Don't blame me for your long day. :roll:

"But rehashing titles will lead to beating dead horse if they don't sell."

This is true; but your FOBOS example is a poor one as it wasn' eevn trying to keep what made the first two as successful as they were. We don't really know the final direction a hypothetical BG3 will go. These tidbits semi count. :wink:

"Why is it you're not at all worried about this?"

Because, in the end, I don't care if BG3 follows exactly like the others. I'm not that anal. As long as it's fun is all that matters to me. i couldn't care less if they change things up. Besdies, as much fun as I have with games; they're simply not important enough to worry at that scale - espicially when we know almost nothing about "BG3".

Example: i complained about Bethesda's FO3 because all signs point to a agme I will not enjoy. I cna't say the same... yet... about x developer's BG3.. In the end, when I see the crap that Bethesda makes that passes off for FO3; I'll complain then I'll move. My life will not be forfeit.

suibhne

Erudite
The game is apparently set as a prequel, and that has slight potential even as part of the Bhaalspawn storyline. You could play, post-Time of Troubles, with or against the Harpers gathering the Bhaalspawn. I could be interested in a game exploring the machinations between the various semi-secret societies, and it would be amusing to encounter, second-hand, news of Gorion the Harper sequestering two newborn Bhaalspawn in Candlekeep. The whole "development by focus group" attitude evinced by Atari is pretty dismaying, though. Iit might even inspire the more cynical among us to expect BG3 to be total shit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"The game is apparently set as a prequel, and that has slight potential even as part of the Bhaalspawn storyline. You could play, post-Time of Troubles, with or against the Harpers gathering the Bhaalspawn. I could be interested in a game exploring the machinations between the various semi-secret societies, and it would be amusing to encounter, second-hand, news of Gorion the Harper sequestering two newborn Bhaalspawn in Candlekeep."

Agreed. Story possibilities are endless.

"Iit might even inspire the more cynical among us to expect BG3 to be total shit."

Expect the worst; hope for the best.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
dead horses don't sell millions of copies. :roll:

I don't know about that, there's some pretty sick people out there. I mean, I had no idea people were amused with someone using hamsters as suppositories, but Baldur's Gate 2's acceptance opened my eyes.

Avin

Liturgist
my hopes for bg3 are dead. i won't spent my money on an freaking action game with "rpg" typed on the box.

Briosafreak

Augur
Let`s have a bet. I`ll say that Saint is right and Bioware will send D&D projects in other(s) directions, while keeping some light conection to the projects, so the name will show up on the boxes and they can make some money, without the problems that the D&D brand now brings to devs, giving that the conection to BG3 will be at the most like in NWN2. If someone wants to say that Bioware is making BG3 or it will make it as the development team and proves me wrong then i´ll hapilly say i was wrong and give a price to the lucky winner.

Enderandrew

Novice
For better or worse, the Final Fantasy series doesn't have sequels save for FF:X-2. Each new game is a unique game set in a new world, with new systems, and new characters. That's not really a dead horse.

It's akin to the Might and Magic series in that respect.

I'm one of the few people who was not impressed with Baldur's Gate. The game looked pretty, but the story did nothing for me. I would have loved to play the Black Hound, and would have had no qualms with it being BG3 since the Bhaalspawn story did nothing for me.

Fallout had better combat, and a better story. Ultima 7 had a much better story, and was much more immersive. Baldur's Gate was the commercial success that titles like Ultima 7, Fallout and Torment should have been.

Even worse, for many Baldur's Gate was the first influential RPG that so many people base their opinions off today.

I'm only 26, yet I feel old in the CRPG market where people are quick to call Baldur's Gate one of the greatest RPGs of all time, and call Zelda and Diablo RPGs.

I grew up on Wizardry, Ultima, Might and Magic, Eye of the Beholder, etc.

Personally, I hope Troika or a new up-and-coming outfit makes BG3 using Troika's ToEE engine.

TheGlow

Novice
I'd like to see them follow the story of Sarevok after the events personally.

He's free to go evil like before or reform himself, plus he's the coolest character by far.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Sarevok's ending:

In the years following his resurrection by <CHARNAME>, Sarevok never settled in any one place for long. In Berdusk he is said to have routed an army of invading orcs, displaying such fearsome power and rage that terrified locals weren't sure whom to fear more. In Westgate he arrived as conqueror, brutally enforcing his will only to mysteriously vanish months later. He acted like a man that did not know himself, and all the stories agreed that Sarevok was a tortured soul, balancing between life and death, never to achieve either.

Eventually he disappeared, said to have assaulted the Abyss itself, or even taken his own life. In truth, he journeyed to Kara-Tur to bury his one true love, the warrior Tamoko. He never returned, though the stories endure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom