Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horror games for the season (and beyond)

fork

You're a bit harsh there. Yes, it's more linear than the Spencer Mansion (which is one of the best places ever created for a video game), but after the train segment, the training facility (and to a lesser extent the rest of the game as well) does allow for some non-linear exploration, and that and the two characters coupled with the item management and beautiful art make it easy for me to like the game. But I'm also unnaturally fond of tank controls and pre-rendered backgrounds, and RE:0 mastered these. The cam angles are masterfully chosen (an underrated skill) and the art is just outstanding. I think it's severely underrated.

Ash

Arcane
Meh. I think it's overrated. Even though it's not very popular at all. Alongside Code Veronica, Dead Aim and other resident evil spinoff shovelware it put me off Resident Evil. RE4 drew me back in even though it is not Resident Evil because the gameplay is fun. Then 6-7-8 came along and I have ZERO hope for it anymore.

fork

What put me off was RE4, which is more linear than 0, has QTEs and loot, looks like shit, and is a whole different genre.

Ash

Arcane
As long as you consider it a separate entity from Resident Evil as a series and concept it is a pretty cool game.

I remember vividly my first experience with it. there was a dog fighting a giant troll in a weird village setting. The young teen NERD Rage. "What the fuck is this shit!? This isn't Resident Evil!".. I was 14 if I recall.

I was taught a good lesson not to have knee jerk reactions, jump to conclusions or judge based on first impressions and/or emotional ties to previous experiences because sitting down with it it was quite a bit of fun.

Last edited:

fork

Disagree. RE4 is decline in every single way.
That it killed off Resident Evil just adds insult to injury (that's how the idiom goes, right? :/).

Ash

Arcane
Injury to insult in this case, since it killed it off. According to you. According to me it was already dead. 1999 was the last good one (RE3). Then it was endless shovelware and shit spinoffs until 2005. Declined REmake, light gun shooters, online crap, trash like code veronica and zero...RE4 was the final nail in the coffin for fixed cam, survival horror and RE as a concept, but it itself was nonetheless a cool action horror game.

What put me off was RE4, which is more linear than 0, has QTEs and loot, looks like shit, and is a whole different genre.

So you never learned to put those emotional ties to past experiences aside and judge it for what it is like I did, is what you're saying.

As for linearity, bro half of zero is set on a train. RE4 isn't as linear as 0. Not to mention it does linearity way better. RE0 had no place being that linear since exploration/navigation challenge is something classic fixed cam survival horrors absolutely needed to not be utterly boring, since they all have terrible combat.

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
What about The Legacy: Realm of Terror, isn't that kinda Lovecraftian dungeon crawler/adventure game?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Legacy is interesting, but kind of misses out on its promises. Its not really balanced well and some of the skills are entirely useless. One weapon path completely dominates the others, and magic is awkward to use because you don't know if you need to save it for later. And the adventure game aspect is a bit overhyped, since its not really any more like one than most Dungeon Master-clones. There are screens where the idea is to solve a puzzle though. Hope you don't accidentally throw an item behind a dresser or something.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
No idea if it's been mentioned, but Ghost Master is somewhat fun puzzle/management game where you have to use some gheists to scare people.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

REmake 1 + Silent Hill 3 = best horror gaymes ever made. An art fag will argue SH2 is better than 3 from an art fag perspective but 3 is legit scary and looks incredible to this very day.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

This covers only RE clones and therefore falls into a more narrow category than the wider horror genre being discussed here, but it's a great video with a large amount of games and proper critique of each.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I'm waiting for patches, for some reason the current version does not allow you to remap movement keys (by default you move with arrows, not WASD).
Isn't it a Resident Evil-style game with tank controls? Why would it matter that its arrows and not WASD...?

Ash

Arcane

This covers only RE clones and therefore falls into a more narrow category than the wider horror genre being discussed here, but it it's a great video with a large amount of games and proper critique of each.

Too bad he's too much of a casual to appreciate Martian Gothic. But yeah, it's an OK vid.

Zlaja

Arcane
An art fag will argue SH2 is better than 3 from an art fag perspective but 3 is legit scary and looks incredible to this very day

Yeah, the graphics of SH3 are probably the best on the PS2. I did like the games otherworld. It was genuinely creepy as fuck. Those bleeding walls were ace.

838c0f007fa8183fffb8a4fe8019f42ef25ebd64.gifv

Q40fcbx.gif

SumDrunkGuy

Zlaja you get a brofist my bro. Silent Hill 3 is the PS2's audio/visual masterpiece. This praise does not mean I want to have violent butt secks with you, it just means that I agree with you my bro.

SumDrunkGuy

I've always thought Valtiel was the spookiest mother fucker in Silent Hill. It's probably a good thing Konami isn't around because they would try to explain him and ruin everything.

Riskbreaker

SH3's texturework and lighting were something else alright. I remember replaying the PC version 5, 6 years ago and just taking screenshot after screenshot after fucking screenshot. It's not that your memory is deceiving you or that PS2's resolution hid the shortcomings, rather you see how much detail was obscured due to it.

toughasnails

Silent Hill 2 had the biggest wow effect on me visually at the time... The generational switch from PS1 to PS2 era was the last time we saw a truly huge, instantly noticeable jump in visuals, already at the next generational switch, from late PS2 to early PS3 and Xbox 360 era, we had the effect of diminishing returns.
When I first played Silent Hill 2 it had my jaw on the floor at times. The opening looks great but once you enter the apartments and see the details and shadows... Holy shit. How come I can't recognize polygons, how come everything casts shadows, what sort of black magic is at work here? And that was even in comparison with other early PS2 titles that had reputation of graphic powerhouses. SH2 left the impression on being on the whole other level.

toughasnails

The port of the Wii U Fatal Frame game is close to release.

I'm not too sure about that pricetag given the game's age... Ninja Gaiden collection costs the same and contains three content heavy games from PS3 era and even there people complained about its price.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom