Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horror Adventure, I summon thee Codex!

Alex

Arcane
@Darkforge

Could you be talking about noctropolis? The game isn't really horror, it has more of a super hero comic book kind of story, but it isn't half bad.

The next chapter is the (as it seems) shitty mmorpg, right? They won't be making "normal", single player adventure games anymore?

The mmorpg has nothing to do with the LJ series, except for obviously similar setting (il.e. Funcom going 'lol we own your IP Ragnhar Tornquist...get back in your box liittle author - after that MMORPG I wouldn't be surprised if Tornquist's 3rd chapter ends up with Funcom, or some suspiciously similar company, as the villlain).

On the upside, it doesn't mean that they're pushing this off as the 'real finale', unlike Bioware and KoTOR series. Tornquist still gives interviews every year or so, saying that he wants to finish the series as soon as someone lets him, but it might end up being via comic book or something.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Oh. Thanks for clarifying this. I thought the MMORPG was to be the "finale" and I couldn't understand how they would pull this off.

Longshanks

Augur
No one mentioned Realms of the Haunting yet?

It's Clive Barker's Undying but better with more Adventure.

Yes, it's an FPS/Adventure (in the Doom engine I think) but it is a big game and has more puzzles than many pure AGs. Well worth playing.

coaster

Liturgist
Still waiting for the release of the Last Crown, sequel to the aforementioned Lost Crown, which was supposed to be released in 2011 but, um, wasn't.

First one had great atmosphere even if I didn't like a/ the protagonists voice and b/ the third person perspective (first person is much scarier in horror games whether adventure or anything else). Although it did switch to FPP at some points in the narrative.

Phelot

Arcane
The Residents: Bad Day on the Midway is pretty horrific in a good way, though it also has no puzzles. Basically, you need to keep playing until you've experienced certain points in each character's life and unlock various endings. It's strange, almost like playing a movie, if that makes sense. The longer you stay alive, the more characters are killed off.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Quilty
Darkness Within.

Incredible atmosphere.

You have to read and underline clues...

Its...sorta a text adventure with graphics if that makes sense.....

Its a 2D 360 view myst interface....nice art and moody art, the best thing the game does is sound.

I recommend people to check it out.

grotsnik

Arcane
Sidenote: Any of you played Phantasmagoria and remember that scene with the woman forcefed through a metal funnel to death? How fucked up is that.

Even more fucked up; she was being force-fed someone/something's intestines, if I remember it correctly. Talk about overegging the pudding.

Arpad

Educated
Darkness Within.

Very good game but have you or anyone tried the sequel? Never heard people say anything about that one after it was released. Should probably give it a try one of these days.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Darkness Within.

Very good game but have you or anyone tried the sequel? Never heard people say anything about that one after it was released. Should probably give it a try one of these days.

If you loved the first...its worth it i say....They did the 3D OK enough...but You'll miss the Myst-view on occasions.

CorpseZeb

Learned
How about "Experience 112"? Very unusual adventure game, more SF than pure horror based, but nevertheless sense of isolation and danger is definitely there. Not to mention about very cool "fourth person" perspective... so to say.

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
Uhm...

The Zero / Fatal Frame / Project Zero games, all of which you can emulate perfectly on any modern PC. The games usually follow a girl or group of girls exploring someplace haunted and related to japanese folk beliefs with no more weapons than a special camera. Fatal Frame 1 is short, rough around the edges, very atmospheric, and has some brutally hardcore combat. Fatal Frame 2 is a bit longer, much easier, incredibly atmospheric, and probably the scariest game you will ever play. Fatal Frame 3 is very long, can have you wander for hours if you don't pay attention to the little clues that tell you what to look for and where to do so, is way harder than the second game while not reaching the levels of the first one, and has a couple of really creepy and disturbing sequences (Sure, Miku, CRAWLING UNDER THE FUCKING FLOOR sounds like a good plan.). I have yet to play the fourth one.

Special mention goes to the ghosts you face, most of which are pretty disturbing and have little implied-only backstories that rule their behaviour and appearance, and how thick the atmosphere is: Play them at night, alone, with headphones to lose your ability to sleep with the lights off for days. The puzzles are simple and straightforward, and usually take the form of either doors sealed by certain items or presences about which you only get vague information about in the form of a ghostly photograph you get by taking a shot at the seal and must then look for, or self-contained puzzles like those in games like Shivers.

Combat is mostly pattern recognition, timing, and cold blood (as it rewards being patient, keeping the enemy in focus as long as possible, and waiting for the very last moment before being touched to take a pic). The game plays in third person for exploration but goes into first person when you prepare your camera, and there are more than a couple of WTF moments when you take your camera out just because only to have something react to it unexpectedly and give you a beautifully subtle (or not so subtle) first person scare, or maybe you just notice some small detail that was hard to notice in third person mode and all of a sudden you want to hide because you are SURE SOMETHING HORRIBLE IS GOING TO HAPPEN THE MOMENT YOU TAKE ANOTHER STEP.

Finally, all games default to the BAD ending the first time you play them. You must play them on hard mode (and in some games complete an optional quest that is only activated during a second playthrough and whose existence you have to notice on your own from the reading materials you collect), unlocked after clearing the game in normal mode, to get the GOOD one. Canonical endings are the BAD ones for the first two games, and still unknown for the third and fourth. Contrary to most other games, though, atmosphere is so thick the games don't really become less scary if you replay, and at times is probably the opposite. Oh, and most ghost encounters are random (i.e: you enter this room, nothing attacks you. Next playthrough you enter this room, The Wandering Monk appears and serves you your butt), and certain boss fights change depending on variables no one is sure to have mapped.

In any case those are some of the few games that come close to completely paralyze me because I know something horrible is going to happen and I don't want to see because then I will not be able to sleep ever again. And for the record I may not be the bravest person to have ever lived but the second game managed to once completely paralyze me out of fear DURING THE DAY, to the point of making me physically ill for an hour or so. Fuckin' Kiryu twins. :(

Give also a try to Ju-On and The Calling for the Wii, though again both can be easily emulated on modern hardware. They are the same kind of games the Fatal Frame ones are: Asian Horror impecably translated into videogame form, you being a pretty much defenseless girl or boy in a very haunted place that wants you dead from a heart attack oh-so-very-much. They are both exploration heavy and first person, and very disturbing. And just like Fatal Frame they are not much into "BOO!", instead building a stupidly creepy atmosphere.

Then there's the Forbidden Siren games, a pretty weird mixture of sneaking puzzler (think commandos) with horror by some of the guys behind Silent Hill, though it is more unerving than scary: It's the mixture of creepy and OH-GOD-IM-GOING-TO-BE-FOUND that gets you, the game is very tense but it will not make you vomit your heart like some of the others I mentioned will. It has some pretty cool mechanics, too, in that your main tool to study the enemies' routes, recognize their vision cones, and scout the levels is to sight-jack them. Basically, you see through their eyes. Which, of course, gave them the idea of making the only character who can move while sight-jacking BLIND. Thank you, game. :roll:

It's hardcore and oh-so-frustrating.

And since both the Clocktower games and Haunting Ground were already mentioned I'll add White Day and Hellnight to the list, too. The first is a korean horror PC game that has an english patch, the second is a localized playstation one Japanese game. They are the same kind of game as Clocktower and Haunting Ground but in first person: You explore huge places and solve puzzles while trying not to get found, or caught when found, by something implacable and very killy. Hellnight is atmospheric but not very scary, White Day is one of the most disturbing games you will ever play.

That's about it. I'll post again if I remember anything else.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
Silent Hilll series are the best japanese survival horror has to offer.

Also, have you played Dracula 3: The Path of The Dragon? I liked it, and if you like classical vampires you should check it out. Very original take on putting the prince of bloodsuckers in WWI Romenia. Though I must say try the original one, there is a commercial "casual" version that really blows.

Arpad

Educated
Following Sukeban's dirty console game suggestions (and a +1 to Hellnight and Forbidden Siren), there was also Echo Night: Beyond on ps2. You played a man in spacesuit in a derelict and haunted moon base. First person adventure ,where your only defence was running away , focused on item puzzles (and backtracking a lot). Reminded me a bit of Penumbra even if the story had it's share of japcrap. I thought the sound design along with graphic variety was quite fine for atmosphere purposes. I quite liked the slow pace the game had.

Dracula 3 was also solid, maybe not very memorable but I didn't regret playing it.

Gregz

Arcane
System Shock 2 for a steady moderate horror vibe...you've probably already played it, but if you haven't it should be near the top of your list (well, it is a combat RPG, so maybe not for you).

coaster

Liturgist
OK here's some links to horror game freebies:

The Marionette: http://themarionette.game-host.org/
Cellar Door (Flash): http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/592223
Worry of Newport (Crysis 1 mod): http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-worry-of-newport
Slender (lots of internet buzz on this one at the moment): http://www.mediafire.com/?vql3a6fbjq0qbbv
Prodigal: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/Games.aspx/Detail/644/Prodigal
White Chamber (mentioned earlier in thread): http://www.studiotrophis.com/site/projects/thewhitechamber/

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
And since both the Clocktower games and Haunting Ground were already mentioned I'll add White Day and Hellnight to the list, too. The first is a korean horror PC game that has an english patch, the second is a localized playstation one Japanese game. They are the same kind of game as Clocktower and Haunting Ground but in first person: You explore huge places and solve puzzles while trying not to get found, or caught when found, by something implacable and very killy. Hellnight is atmospheric but not very scary, White Day is one of the most disturbing games you will ever play.

That's about it. I'll post again if I remember anything else.

Holy crap White Day is RIGHT UP MY ALLEY. Thanks for the tip, gotta hunt it down now.

There's this Japanese doujin horror game, Corpse Party.
http://www.memoriesoffear.com/games_corpsepartypc98/index.html

It's about some school kids trapped in an otherworldly school, where they get stalked and offed gorily by various ghosts while they try to solve the mystery and escape.

The PC-98 version is translated in English (link above), but I consider the PSP version superior because of the much better sound and the presence of some pretty good voice acting (at least if you can stand Japanimu voices). It's definitely a game where you should plug headphones in. PC version has voice acting, but the quality is a bit lacking, and only the first chapter is translated into English at any rate. There is some difference in story and characters between the various versions floating around, but the core story remains the same, with PSP and PC versions being the most fleshed out with more characters.

Gameplay is really pretty simple - moves like a 16-bit era SNES RPG. There are very few puzzles, but there's plenty of bad ends to trigger by being in the wrong place, doing the wrong things, or being overly inquisitive. Of course, creepiness mileage may vary depending on your acceptance of anime-style visuals.

edit: And since we're on the topic of console horror adventures...

Nanashi no Game for the NDS
http://gbatemp.net/topic/311302-nanashi-no-game-translation-patch-v10/

Translated, and it's atmospheric and spooky as fuck, making use of the crap DS hardware to its fullest. The experience won't be as good playing it on your 24-inch PC screen with an emulator in bright light, obviously.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
Check the lp on my sig for a very unique gem of a horror/sci-fi adventure. Read the first few updates and after being drawn to it, pick it up and play it. You won't regret it.

Also, "Black Sails" is a pretty cool horror adventure released in 2010, but sadly it hasn't ben translated in english and probably never will. For those of you that understand german, I heartily recomend it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Try to find some horror text adventure games. Those can be quite effective if you're into that sort of thing. Playing those games was actually pretty unnerving, much more so than when I played any games with graphics.

This. A good introduction to this genre is Lurking Horror, which to my surprise has not been mentioned yet in this thread.

Longshanks said:
Yes, it's an FPS/Adventure (in the Doom engine I think) but it is a big game and has more puzzles than many pure AGs. Well worth playing.

It's not the Doom engine, I think it's an in-house engine, but it's also used in Normality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom