Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HoMM3

a budda

Arbiter
what is your high score?
i can't seem to get over 444 and all the time get 442...

what maps and settings are best to set hs?
size? dungeons? water? monsters? computer players? teams?

what race for what map?

do you take +350gold hero?

Necropolis - Aislinn
Artifact

All other things are moot, because I have a blast every single time I play HoMM3.

Does anybody dare face the Stereotypical Villain?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
ZbojLamignat said:
Necro is banned in multi games for being too strong
Really?
How so? I mean yeah the Dread lords and vampires are awesome... but the rest are a bit meh.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Because they have tons of awesome heroes and can spam so many skeletons that they will fuck everyone and everybody over. Plus 4th, 5th and 6th lvl units are pure awsome.

There were leagues that allowed choosing Necro under certain regulations (not using the building for transforming living creatures for example), but yeah - necro is definately imba.

Other no-no'es included conflux, certain artifacts (angelic wings) and spells (town portal).

HoM&M3 would be too good if not for the imbalanace;)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jaedar said:
ZbojLamignat said:
Really?
How so? I mean yeah the Dread lords and vampires are awesome... but the rest are a bit meh.

A friend of mine loves to get himself the combination of artifacts that improves the resurrected creatures. As in, you get zombies instead of skeles with one artifact, and with all of them it's liches.

This way, he gets fucking huge armies of good troops and after a while he becomes fawking invincible.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Well, all the combined artifacts from Shadow of death are banned as well, duh.

They're fucking stupid, anyway. Can be cool for a campaign game, but who plays Heroes single-player?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
JarlFrank said:
Jaedar said:
ZbojLamignat said:
Really?

A friend of mine loves to get himself the combination of artifacts that improves the resurrected creatures. As in, you get zombies instead of skeles with one artifact, and with all of them it's liches.

This way, he gets fucking huge armies of good troops and after a while he becomes fawking invincible.
I don't have any of the expansions, so I don't think those artefacts exist in my version of the game :)

Suicidal

Arcane
Compared to how overpowered Necros are in HoMM 5 in HoMM 3 they seem rather balanced.

Phelot

Arcane
They're fucking stupid, anyway. Can be cool for a campaign game, but who plays Heroes single-player?

:oops: I do...

I like playing Necro, Sandro with artifact. SOmetimes I play elves or stronghold.

Can't recall the name of the maps, but they'll mostly the large or the XL.

No idea what scores I get.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
JarlFrank said:

No, it's not 'liches with all of them'. You need to get the whole artifact set first (IIRC the skull helmet, death knight's blade, the skull shield thingy and the ribcage), and then what undead you get depends on your necromancy skill (basic -> zombies, advanced -> wraiths, master -> liches).

Anyway, dungeon > necropolis. I see your sucky vampires and liches and I bring you superpowered minotaur kings. Not to mention that dungeon has pretty good archers, second only maybe to castle (priests are awesome, so are marksmen, although they are fragile as hell).

Favourite hero is obvious, I think :smug:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
My favourite is tower... love the amount of ranged units they have and the nagas.

Gargoyles can suck it though, they are complete shit.

Favorite hero is Solmyr or the 350 gold one.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Tower is the best, with three ranged creatures and two flying? Insane for castle combat. Also overall good spells, library and good heroes. And gremlin rushing to stop them pesky necros if need be.

Overall I always considered necro to be a weak castle as their creatures are rather slow and have low stats. Didnt know they are so good in competetive games.

You guys give too much credit to those combined artifacts, in normal games You dont stand a chance of making them anyway.

Texas Red

Whiner
How active is the HoMM community anyway? Do people only play HoMM 3 and pretty much ignore 5 and 4?

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
I don't know why but i feel compelled to post in this thread.
orwald.jpg

I used to play HoMM3 in my dorm net without any faggy regulations, it was awesome and i don't remember anyone complaining. If you can't stand the heat...

a budda

Arbiter
what good heroes wizards have?

4 was absymal, i doubt anyone touches it... 5 isn't bad, i played it a bit, quite fun, but then, 3 is the best

elves are the best :)
then warlock
and tactics
wizard good for creeping, but overall too costly

Erebus

Arcane
I like the Dungeon best. The Troglo are a nice meat shield, the harpies can be very annoying for the opponent once they're improved (especially with Bless), you get two ranged units fairly early (with no penalty in close combat !), the minotaurs kick ass and the black dragon's always cool. The manticores are a bit sucky, but that's all.

I like the swampy design of the Fortress, but it's probably the weakest Town. It has only one ranged unit and said unit sucks a lot. The flying units aren't so strong. The strongest unit, the Hydra, is much too slow to be useful, unless you have Teleport. The only good unit is the Mighty Gorgon.

MetalCraze

Arcane
ZbojLamignat said:
Can be cool for a campaign game, but who plays Heroes single-player?

I do. What's wrong with this? HoMM3 is good, addictive and enjoyable both in MP and SP

Dark Individual said:
How active is the HoMM community anyway? Do people only play HoMM 3 and pretty much ignore 5 and 4?

Yeah HoMM3 has the most active MP community p. much

visions

Arcane
Rampart and Inferno for me.

And yes, I used to play HoMM3 in single player quite often, although my best memories are from all night hotseat sessions.

Never played it on net, since I didn't have internet access at home back when I used to play it often.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I liked Tower for my magic fix and Inferno/Dungeon just because they seem fun. Necropolis is also cool but in my hot seat games with friends there was always one guy who wanted to play it.

I hear that Fortress is also quite nice if used correctly - ie You dont attack but defend with creatures and use their high defense stat. But never liked it myself...

And I did enjoy certain aspects of H4, mainly the fighting heroes, music, alternative paths in castle development (C&C!).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Malakal said:
I hear that Fortress is also quite nice if used correctly - ie You dont attack but defend with creatures and use their high defense stat. But never liked it myself...

How does that make sense? Fortress creatures (except gorgons) are fragile as hell. Wyverns barely have 70 hp IIRC, compare that to dread knights' 120 or champions' 100. Basilisks have 40, but their defence sucks, I think, and other tier 4 creatures like crusaders rip through them with ease. Gorgons are the only ones that are pretty much tanks, not to mention the rather mean 'kill by looking at things' ability.

Ghoulem

Erudite
Not to mention that they don't have any proper range-unit to speak off. But the Hydra's attack all adjacent creatures ability + no retaliation can do quite some damage. The big problem however is that when they rely so heavy on melee combat and have no range they are often ranged down or spelled. The high mobility wyverns and dragonflies offer is somewhat cancelled by the fact that they can't hold their ground in a melee fight. Tazar however is an awesome hero and can make almost any creature a melee god. Almost makes up for how lousy their town really is.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Although the dragonflies are pretty useful due to their hueg speed. You can get them very, very fast, since they are 3rd tier, and they often give you the first turn in a fight, which is pretty significant if you have master-level in any magic (multi-target slowdown/bless/haste/curse FTW)

ZbojLamignat

Educated
I don't have anything against people playing Heroes single, I just don't see a point considering how much more fun the multi/hot-seat is. But there are some really good fan-made single-player maps, yes.

Playing a lot versus AI also explains why you might think that tower or dungeon is better than necro;)

Also remember that difficulty level matters a lot, especially in case of factions that are expensive and/or shit at creeping. That is, if you play on impossible, as you probably should (excluding S-map deathmatches that end very quickly).

Malakal said:
Tower is the best, with three ranged creatures and two flying? Insane for castle combat. Also overall good spells, library and good heroes. And gremlin rushing to stop them pesky necros if need be.
I like Tower, but I'm afraid that shit heroes and lack of strong flying unit (though gargoyles are actually ok, especially early) are two of their three main cons, the last and most important one of course being how ridiculously overpriced they are. Fortunately for them thanks to gremlins and gargoyles they gain terrain very quickly, but still, when you go past golems the prices will hurt you badly on impossible.

Suicidal said:
Compared to how overpowered Necros are in HoMM 5 in HoMM 3 they seem rather balanced.
Really? I didn't play H5 much, but from what I've seen and heard from my friend, who is one of the better H5 players in Poland, they are very mediocre and only looking really dangerous on smaller maps.
Them being more overpowered than in H3 would be pretty strange, considering that H5 is definitely best balanced from all the series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom