Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hollow Knight

Visperas

Augur
Why ask such a stupid question?

Papanada...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'll be the first to say Hobo Knight is generally overrated but bro your wall of text is not only stupid, it also has 'git gud' written all over it.

It's particularly absurd to say its locations are forgettable because visuals and shit are objectively one of this game's greatest strengths. I can still name a lot of the levels even though I played this 5 years ago or something.
I beat all bosses (except the last one) using only the basic slash attack, heal and dash therefore I think I can recognize what's a fair fight and what is not.

Hornet and Mantis Lords are fair. Galien or Enranged Guardian are not fair. Basically there are boss fights in which you will take damage no matter what because the boss attack starts outside of the visible area or some shit is spawn right above you and so on. In the end, even after you beat a boss you don't know for sure that you have won only because of your skills or you were lucky and personally I get no satisfaction out of that.

The last boss simply required too many hits with my approach and I simply gave up knowing that there is no payoff for me. I don't really care about "git gud".

I can also name most areas from the game but my point is that most rooms layout is forgetable so much that without a map it's hard to say where you are within an area. During the end game backtracking I was surprised to traverse the same rooms and not recognize them despite the fact that I've already cleared them a couple of hours before.

I don't know. Maybe this happened because I didn't approach the game with the right mindset. Honestly I think the whole pace thing broke me more than anything.
Dude you had 70% completion. You didn't even see all the bosses. There are two bosses in the game that is arguably unfair. One is Markoth, who isn't that difficult but does have a small chance of cheapshotting you. The other is Radiance, which can create some bullshit patterns. Everything else is well within the range of fair, with varying levels of difficulty. Since you only ever found 3 pale ore (how bad are you at exploring, jesus christ?) your basic slash was underpowered for the final boss. You also presumably had fewer and worse charms available, and weren't using spells, which can do far more damage than a badly upgraded slash. Judging by the amount of money you claim you claim to have amassed I suspect you may have never found one of the main merchants, and presumably missed a lot of mask shards too. In short, an easy boss was rendered difficult by your inability to find secrets.

Like, how the fuck can you consider a boss fight where the main attack is a fucking bouncing ball following very predictable gravity 'unfair'? What the fuck is wrong with you? Does this look difficult to anyone else?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'll be the first to say Hobo Knight is generally overrated but bro your wall of text is not only stupid, it also has 'git gud' written all over it.

It's particularly absurd to say its locations are forgettable because visuals and shit are objectively one of this game's greatest strengths. I can still name a lot of the levels even though I played this 5 years ago or something.
I beat all bosses (except the last one) using only the basic slash attack, heal and dash therefore I think I can recognize what's a fair fight and what is not.

Hornet and Mantis Lords are fair. Galien or Enranged Guardian are not fair. Basically there are boss fights in which you will take damage no matter what because the boss attack starts outside of the visible area or some shit is spawn right above you and so on. In the end, even after you beat a boss you don't know for sure that you have won only because of your skills or you were lucky and personally I get no satisfaction out of that.

The last boss simply required too many hits with my approach and I simply gave up knowing that there is no payoff for me. I don't really care about "git gud".

I can also name most areas from the game but my point is that most rooms layout is forgetable so much that without a map it's hard to say where you are within an area. During the end game backtracking I was surprised to traverse the same rooms and not recognize them despite the fact that I've already cleared them a couple of hours before.

I don't know. Maybe this happened because I didn't approach the game with the right mindset. Honestly I think the whole pace thing broke me more than anything.
Dude you had 70% completion. You didn't even see all the bosses. There are two bosses in the game that is arguably unfair. One is Markoth, who isn't that difficult but does have a small chance of cheapshotting you. The other is Radiance, which can create some bullshit patterns. Everything else is well within the range of fair, with varying levels of difficulty. Since you only ever found 3 pale ore (how bad are you at exploring, jesus christ?) your basic slash was underpowered for the final boss. You also presumably had fewer and worse charms available, and weren't using spells, which can do far more damage than a badly upgraded slash. Judging by the amount of money you claim you claim to have amassed I suspect you may have never found one of the main merchants, and presumably missed a lot of mask shards too. In short, an easy boss was rendered difficult by your inability to find secrets.

Like, how the fuck can you consider a boss fight where the main attack is a fucking bouncing ball following very predictable gravity 'unfair'? What the fuck is wrong with you? Does this look difficult to anyone else?

70% completion should be enough but the game is definetly tuned for 100% completion.

Anyway I'm going through some low period in my life and the stress from the game was too much. That's why I basically rushed the end game.

Maybe I will revisit it in the future.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've beat the hardest variant of every single boss in the game without taking a hit. Galien/Enraged Guardian are both extremely easy fights, and you didn't even get to Markoth or Grey Prince Zote, which are much less "fair". After beating the game I did look up some hints so that I could find every single upgrade to prep for the boss fight room, but I found the vast majority of the resources in the game by myself just trolling around. You literally have a map that shows when you haven't explored a part of the world yet.

I will say your assessment of the early game being slow/clunky/not good is correct though, which is why I bounced off a few times before finally soldiering through and realizing how great the game is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom