Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hoard everything.

Naraya

Arcane
I wrote a lengthy post but to spare you the pain of reading it I'll just sum up my problem:

1. Hoard EVERYTHING.
2. Ignore crafting, potions etc... Who needs this, right? Play perfectly so I don't need to use all this boosters for filthy casuals. Don't use this Potion of Short Invulnerability because I MIGHT REALLY NEED IT LATER!11!!1
3. When backpack full, quickly lose motivation to play and rage due to losing so much time on inventory management - eventually dropping the game altogether.

I play every game like this. I finished PoE with my bags filled to the brim with all sorts of crap. Same in BG/BG2, same in M&M and many others...

It really detriments from my gaming experiences. Is it my problem, or the problem is with these games?

How do you deal with that, help?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wrote a lengthy post but to spare you the pain of reading it I'll just sum up my problem:

1. Hoard EVERYTHING.
2. Ignore crafting, potions etc... Who needs this, right? Play perfectly so I don't need to use all this boosters for filthy casuals. Don't use this Potion of Short Invulnerability because I MIGHT REALLY NEED IT LATER!11!!1
3. When backpack full, quickly lose motivation to play and rage due to losing so much time on inventory management - eventually dropping the game altogether.

I play every game like this. I finished PoE with my bags filled to the brim with all sorts of crap. Same in BG/BG2, same in M&M and many others...

It really detriments from my gaming experiences. Is it my problem, or the problem is with these games?

We're all autistic, some just suffer from some symptoms more than others.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

1. Hoard EVERYTHING.

I never use such stuff, because – I might really need it later! I also never sell stuff, because – I might need it later.

Azarkon

Arcane
Usually a problem with the game not providing a stash. Unless there's a compelling design for why the player ought to deal with inventory management, it ought to just be designed away, because it's never been fun. In this, it is similar to mandatory food/drink mechanics where you have to keep buying food/drinks even when it's not a limited resource.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's developers fault.Stuff like this actually annoys me

rubbish.png

"Rubbish with no value.
Who in their right mind would bother carrying this around? Perhaps you need help."

Fuck you!

Shin

Cipher
Half my time in UR is spend travelling back and forth to the locker in my room at SGS. I'd put points in either STR or the carry perk, but I'm too OCD for that shit. Can't miss out on another point of PER, even tho I'm not really sure what it precisely does for me (I know what it effects, but not exactly how much). At least the IE games had bags of holding, gem/scroll containers and even pocket planes. I seriously need pocket planes in every game so I can move all objects from the prime plane into MY plane. I WANT ALL THE SHITS

IS THIS BECAUSE I GREW UP POOR?!

fanta

Arcane
Playing roguelikes helps greatly with this. The difference between a bad player and a decent one is being to play without using consumables. The difference between a decent player and a good one is the ability to use consumables again.

I recommend Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, one of the best games evar regardless of genre. Try it, it's free!

Neanderthal

Arcane
My opinion, no progression in the system, no strategy involved on what you take, no limits and so you start out wi exactly system you have at end robbing game of gameplay, challenge, satisfaction and ironically the importance of loot. Like combat modern devs just throw crap at a problem, and expect copious amounts o it to cover the cracks and make up for game changing, thematically relevant and precious gear. You get so much squealing for it that nobody'll ever change this now though, best you can hope for is a realism mod.

Exact same mechanic as achievements, i'm as autistic as next fucker and maybe then some, but i'm fucked if i'm doing all this shit once again.

Siobhan

Arbiter
The difference between a decent player and a good one is the ability to use consumables again.

This. And if it helps your OCD: change your goal from a frugal-efficient playstyle to a time-efficient one. Why waste 5 minutes on a trashmob if you can instanuke them with that firebomb? Or maybe run past them with that speed potion. Keep an emergency stock of one or two powerful items, use everything else whenever the opportunity presents itself. Very few games require more careful resource management than that --- rogue-likes being the noteworthy exception.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Just consider it a measure of your awesomeness. The more shit you have the more awesome you are.

I have 100 ratskins in my backpack, baby. :smug:

Works everytime, everywhere.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Usually a problem with the game not providing a stash. Unless there's a compelling design for why the player ought to deal with inventory management, it ought to just be designed away, because it's never been fun.
PoE had a stash, and as a result looting was even more boring as usual since there was no reason not to pick everything up. You still had to face the same amount of inventory management when you hauled all that shit to the nearest vendor anyway. There were also other negative side effects, like having inflated prices and still ending up with way more cash than you could ever possibly hope to use in the game (which, admittedly, is a very common problem even without a stash).

Inventory limitations are generally much more interesting and effective to prevent hoarding, as it can force you into making strategic decisions and putting some thought into what you want to carry, use or drop. If you remove the need for thinking and decision-making, looting just becomes pointless busywork. Having to manage a small inventory and keep an eye on your resources is certainly much more fun than brainlessly picking everything up and managing an endless list of mostly useless items.

hell bovine

Arcane
I have the opposite problem: I dont use items, even if they would make a tough battle easier, because I simply forget my character has them. And that includes forgetting to switch weapons or armor. Its like the inventory stops existing for me as soon as I close it on the screen...

Azarkon

Arcane
I've had less issues with junk in Pillars of Eternity because of the stash, actually, though the default display mode for the stash in Pillars of Eternity is shitty and gets in the way. Selling from a well-implemented stash ought to be easy because you just sell all the equipment that is worse than what you have, and all the $ only junk ought to be marked with just one click. I don't remember whether it was in Pillars of Eternity, though.

Oh, and inventory management is never interesting in games where "hoarding" becomes a problem. You're thinking about games where the inventory is small, so you have to decide what to keep and what to carry, etc. But that's not the case for games where you're carrying hundreds of items around, eg Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity, etc. These games are designed in such a way that no one - not even the developers - are able to keep track of all that you could be carrying into a fight, so making it a "strategic decision" leads to comical situations eg "I can't beat this fight!" => "just drink those fire resistance potions you looted from that dungeon in chapter 2" => "what fire resistance potions?" => "uh... you got three of them from that dungeon, didn't you?" => "??? I might've sold them?" => "well then you're fucked?" => "are you fucking-? give my money back!"

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have a pretty similar condition with the OP and I loved D:OS just for the fact that it would EXPLICITLY tell me that I should sell this golden cup or spoon.

Higher Game

Arcane
I usually grind out as much exp as I can with the items I get before moving on. If there's a camping/resting system then the game might as well have an "instant win" mode so it's not worth taking too seriously in the first place. :baka:

xrm1

Educated
Usually a problem with the game not providing a stash. Unless there's a compelling design for why the player ought to deal with inventory management, it ought to just be designed away, because it's never been fun. In this, it is similar to mandatory food/drink mechanics where you have to keep buying food/drinks even when it's not a limited resource.

How does a stash help? If you're a hoarding autist that just means you'll run back to town all the time to store these potions of pitiful strength instead of consuming them while they're still useful like the game designers intended.

laclongquan

Arcane

1. Hoard EVERYTHING.

Raise the difficulty/lethality of the game. you can hoard combat-use stuffs is because your game is a bit too easy. If it's too hard, you will spend them like water. Another alternative is to play some novel characters, which sound interesting to play, but not a min-max type

Arrange and store shits in groups in OTHER place than the inventory. Example: You got 10 potions of health, keep 3 as combat-use, and store 7 in a barrel or box, and keep storing more health potions there. Dont let it clutter your inventory which will drive you crazy.

With the method above, never let your inventory go past half full. And try to tidy it so it wont drive you crazy.

Saduj

Arcane
Well timed thread. The amount of time I spend ferrying junk while playing Underrail has recently forced me to recognize the extent of my sperglordishness.

But I will never change.

:rpgcodex:

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter

1. Hoard EVERYTHING.

i think i just caught OCD and mild down syndrome

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
*If its not nailed down I'll loot it.
*Potions and similar consumables are precioussssss to me, must resist to drink/use them even if it means my death.
*One of a kind item? I'm sure there'll be some quest involving it so I'll keep it in my inventory till end of days.
*Spend minutes to arrange backpack for 1 kg loot.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Games should allow us pack animals so we can finally stash our stuff on the move.

Our army's elite jungle fighting commandos decided to experiment with ussing Buffalos as pack animals.

bufalos-sao-novas-armas-do-exercito-brasileiro.jpg

bufalos-sao-novas-armas-do-exercito-brasileiro-.jpg

Each buffalo can carry 500kg and they do well on the jungle, drinking river water and eating grass.

Why go back to town to stash the loot when you can bring it with you?

I always use my companions in Fallout for that purpose

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom