Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HistWar: Les Grognards (huge 500,000 men Napoleonic battles)

Llyranor

Liturgist
Let's get it out of the way first. The game features pretty primitive 3D, blah blah blah. For those interested in an in-depth grand tactical wargame featuring high-level gameplay at the helm of a Napoleonic army, that may not matter. HistWar: Les Grognards is an indie game being made by French designer Jean-Michel Mathé and published by Battlefront (the developers of Combat Mission). Expected in Q3 2009 (end-September?).

For a fairly comprehensive preview, check this thread http://www.napoleonic.commandersatwar.com/...?f=26&t=149 (which I will be quoting quite a bit in here)

The game is being advertised as being "one of the first - if not the first - FPC (First Person commander) game". But what does that actually mean? FPC is one of the game modes (you have a good variety of options re: the amount of realism you want - and you can play it with a bird's eye view scrolling through the map as well) which attempts to recreate the player's role as the Commander-in-Chief in a Napoleonic battle as realistically as possible. Why does it matter? Realism isn't necessarily fun, but it certainly can be in the proper context. The implications of realism in a strategy/tactics game is that the focus of the gameplay would be heavily aimed at decisions that an actual *commander* would have to do. This means not being able to jump in and micromanage every single unit in the battlefield at once, not being able to issue orders and have them carried out instantaneously; limiting game abstraction as much as possible (but again, the balance needs to be such that it isn't detrimental to fun).

So, again, how does this work? The player is the C-in-C, as in the actual person. Your HQ actually moves around the map, situating itself in positions from which to better view the battlefield. There are 3 levels of AI: "Grand-Tactical (GT),Tactical AI and Regimental AI." As the C-in-C, you replace the Grand-Tactical AI. You issue orders to your corps and divisional commanders, who then issue orders to the subordinates (regimental commander --> brigades, and so on). You can also step in and give orders to regiments if that's what you want. How do you issue orders? With couriers, aides de camp - of which you have a finite number of.

Aides de camp
http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=85171
This feature is the one that has me the most excited. It sounds like a really neat gameplay feature. Could lead to pretty tense scenarios of information warfare. To issue orders to another commander, you take an aide de camp and send him off to the commander. This takes TIME. If you've sent a commander a long way off, it will take a lot of time to carry new orders there, and it will also take a lot of time for info/intel (corps status/strength/morale, enemy and friendly positions) to get back from there. Furthermore, couriers aren't just abstracted. If they get caught by the enemy (eg. there is an actual enemy unit between you and the commander you wanted to send a message to), that message will never get sent, and the enemy will actually get the message/intel that was being sent.

This actually also works in multiplayer - where it may take quite a while for a message sent by one player to reach another. This can make for some pretty tense co-op/adversarial sessions.

So, in summary, aides de camp are how you issue orders, get situational updates on the battle and the fog of war (info for which can be outdated depending on when aides de camp get to you, if they do at all). Furthermore, they require time to carry out their missions, and can also get captured if they run into enemy formations (and thus provide information to the enemy).

Orders
http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=83211
The video in that thread shows off how ridiculously easy it is to issue out orders. Now, the graphics may not be pretty, but look at how massive the battlefield actually is. Yet, a few clicks, and you're done issuing orders (including the extent of the frontage - very cool). The bulk of the gameplay lies in the actual decision-making and high-level command, rather than constantly interacting with the interface in order to carry out your plan.
You can give chain orders, telling a corps to march to a certain area then change formation and deploy on a certain line immediately after it has arrived to the area or after a certain delay.
Which only takes a few seconds to order - very very cool.
zhistwar-grognards-2d.jpg

Now, just because orders are easy to do issue doesn't mean they're easy to carried. Not only does it take time to SEND out your orders by couriers, but it also takes time to carry them out.
New players can start with immediate order transmission (which is like most other startegy games work) whereas true Grognards can play with historical communication times (via rider/messenger for example) that can take up to two hours; organizing an army corps of 40000 men necessitates a little bit of time.
This isn't a battle of clicks-per-minute, nor is a matter of rapid micro or memorizing queues. It is a battle of wits. Using limited information, and limited means through which you can act upon that information - given the amount of time it may take to react upon an enemy's action - you as the C-in-C need to out-plan, out-wit, and predict your opponent's moves. You CAN'T just improvise and queue in new counter-units in your build list. You need to anticipate your opponent, defend your vulnerable areas, set your reserves, and so on - IN ADVANCE.

Doctrine Editor
Want your corps and divisions to act a certain way under certain conditions? Implement it into your doctrine!
This feature, which I have never seen before in any game, is a crucial part of your army making, and overall plan. It specifies what reactions your junior commanders (colonels) will have in specific situations. For example, do you want to allow heavy cavalry to chase down fleeing enemy units? Sure, that might guarantee a destruction of said unit or its capture, but what if while chasing the enemy it encounters stiffer resistance and is itself routed or captured. Do you want to take that risk or do you play it safe?
If a detached unit meets a stronger opponent, do you want it to engage at all cost, engage only if attacked or try to disengage?
These and many other parameters will be available for you to customize to your war waging taste.
More info and examples/screenshots here: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=84817

Order of Battle
So there's no in-game base/unit building. Yet, your army is extremely customization. Your entire Order of Battle can be adjusted to fit your needs.
The game will ship with ten historical battles and their historical OOBs. But for more customized games you can make your own OOB. The OOB editor has such wealth of information that it alone warrants buying the game by any Napoleonic buff. You first have to pick the year of your army, as the percentages of Guard, cavalry and artillery in your army varied historically by the year. This feature will prevent spamming as you cannot abuse a type of units to a historically unrealistic degree. Every historical unit is there to pick for your army (with its custom uniform) with all Marshals, generals, Division and brigade commanders faithfully represented with attributes that would influence to a certain degree how units under their command react.
The customization is so in depth that you can pick how many battalions/squadrons you want for each regiment and for an extra price you may assign it artillery pieces to make it more deadly.
If you do not have time for this tedious but addicting micromanagement of the composition of your army, no problem; just let the software pick a random but balanced OOB for you according to the year and the size that you specified.
Another amazing feature in the OOB is that you can assign a delay for certain corps or individual units before they join the battlefield. This way, you can simulate reinforcements arriving.

Multiplayer
http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=85868
8 players. PvP or co-op. Can be split any way. 1 v 7. Players vs AI. Units can be split out any way (eg. one C-in-C, one player controls 2 corps, another 1 corps, or mix-and-match. Units can also be shared between multiple players).
Example of messages in multiplayer:
MP%20Ordres.jpg

Screenshots
Seriously! The game almost looks as bad as Age of Decadence!
HistWar007.jpg

060711-30.jpg

Capture002.jpg

081110-68.jpg

081110-A0.jpg

081110-45.jpg

I'm really excited about this game. Sure, it's low-budget indie, but the gameplay features impress me far beyond that of any conventional RTS. The multiplayer sounds particularly awesome (especially sending couriers between players).

* I am not Jean-Michel Mathé

Pliskin

Arbiter
Yah, I've been waiting for this game to finish up for, oh... two years now?

Hurry the fuck up, already!

So there's no in-game base/unit building. Yet, your army is extremely customization. Your entire Order of Battle can be adjusted to fit your needs.

Do you really need to explain this to all the RTS-tards out there? This is supposed to be a simulation --- you know, an actual wargame --- not "Starcraft" on horseback.

Durwyn

Prophet
Shit, I don't really like Napoleonic times. A little too geyish with their fancy uniforms and pretty colors. But I think I'll try it anyways.

Korgan

Arbiter
Whoa, sounds great. I hope commanders get their own stats and personalities to determine how they would act without orders or creatively misinterpret them. Like Grouchy chickening out at Waterloo.

Panthera

Scholar
I am really excited for this, and have been for a few years. There aren't nearly enough real-time wargames on the market.

L'ennui

Magister
I'm having a Grognardgasm, even though I'm not really that much of a grognard. Will definitely be looking out for this one, and I will probably BUY (as opposed to dl and have a look. Fuck you, Blizzard.) when it comes out.

Also, the term "grognard" is pretty cool.

Erebus

Arcane
L'ennui said:

"Grognard" means "grumbler". Napoleon used to say "They grumble, yet they march on." about his soldiers.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Erebus said:
L'ennui said:

"Grognard" means "grumbler". Napoleon used to say "They grumble, yet they march on." about his soldiers.

Actually, he said it specifically about the grenadiers of the Imperial Guard --- the French Old Guard of legend.

If anybody had a right to complain, it was them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom