Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hey everybody's making fallout 3 thread so why not ME2

roll-a-die

Magister
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR558wTjOUU

This guy should amuse you guys. He's tearing apart ME2 like red letter media did to the star wars prequels.

Be warned though he did like ME1.

Dragula

Augur
I call bull, ME2s story was superior to that of ME1, but ME1s gameplay mechanics were superior to those of ME2.

roll-a-die

Magister
Dragula said:
I call bull, ME2s story was superior to that of ME1, but ME1s gameplay mechanics were superior to those of ME2.

HUHwha? That's sarcasm I hope. ME1 was better if you liked to run and gun. ME2 had a certain amount of "tactics." It was nearly as exploitable, but had more penalties for being stupid. The ammo system added more tension to the combat, at least if you tried to spray and pray.

About the only systems I could think of that are worse are the door minigames and the mining.

The main plot was absolutely gonzo and scatter brained. And the companion side quests at times made no sense and had 0 relation to the main plot bar Legion. ME1 at least tried to make everything tie in at least slightly.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
I just read some interviews by that star wars review guy and he says that he came up with all the "maniac reviewing movies while constantly making jokes" stuff because when he tried doing the review in his own voice it was unbearably boring. Guess what, this video proves how spot on he was.

roll-a-die

Magister
Hamster said:
I just read some interviews by that star wars review guy and he says that he came up with all the "maniac reviewing movies while constantly making jokes" stuff because when he tried doing the review in his own voice it was unbearably boring. Guess what, that smudboy guy proves how spot on he was.

If anything this has more merit than RLM, in that it has a more intelligent tone and can be taken more seriously because of that. RLM was more of a humorous review, that most legitimate critics and people won't take seriously. This is just blatantly and most importantly seriously pointing out flaws in the story. RLM is more, "RETARD JOKE, CRAZY JOKE, LEGITIMATE CRITICISM CROSSED WITH A JOKE, FUNNY DISTURBING MOMENT." It's entertaining, sure, but then so is assembling model death stars and droids or playing with Lego's. Doesn't make people take you seriously, though, does it?

I found it's tone perfectly bearable, but than I had to sit through lectures on the pancreas, so what do I know?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
The problem is that RLM knew what he was talking about and what i saw in the first part of this review is pathetic bitching desperately trying to emulate RLM.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I know what's going on in this thread, and Mass Effect 2 was actually pretty enjoyable. In before people call me an idiot.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hamster said:
The problem is that RLM knew what he was talking about and what i saw in the first part of this review is pathetic bitching desperately trying to emulate RLM.

I think RLM had a winning combination in being both funny and intelligent. His criticisms are legitimate, and the jokes make it watchable. Without both of those elements, the videos wouldn't be nearly as good.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
roll-a-die said:
Hamster said:
I just read some interviews by that star wars review guy and he says that he came up with all the "maniac reviewing movies while constantly making jokes" stuff because when he tried doing the review in his own voice it was unbearably boring. Guess what, that smudboy guy proves how spot on he was.

If anything this has more merit than RLM, in that it has a more intelligent tone and can be taken more seriously because of that. RLM was more of a humorous review, that most legitimate critics and people won't take seriously. This is just blatantly and most importantly seriously pointing out flaws in the story. RLM is more, "RETARD JOKE, CRAZY JOKE, LEGITIMATE CRITICISM CROSSED WITH A JOKE, FUNNY DISTURBING MOMENT." It's entertaining, sure, but then so is assembling model death stars and droids or playing with Lego's. Doesn't make people take you seriously, though, does it?

I found it's tone perfectly bearable, but than I had to sit through lectures on the pancreas, so what do I know?

Yeah. Exactly. What do you know, not much. Me either but that's not the point. We're talking about two reviews which concern the exact same thing, which is magic in space. You can't be serious about magic in space. Either you don't take yourself seriously, try to be entertaining and make valid points for the sake of conversation, like RLM, or you write an essay thinking what you say matters.

Of course I didn't watch those videos, I mean ME2 had no story so it would be pretty absurd to criticise what's not there to begin with. The story was just a pretext to have you run around shooting things, just like ME1, except that it was probably less pretentious.

roll-a-die

Magister
Hamster said:

Only it's not, RLM review is a persuasive essay attempting to explain what is wrong with the given elements as a whole and bring you in line with the thoughts that he went through, through the use of humor. It takes an everything is bad approach to the review.

This guy is attempting to deconstruct and describe the plot elements and tell you what went right and what went wrong. Giving pros and cons to each element, and maintaining a level head throughout.

RLM is a satirist and comedian, this guy is a true critic, in that he doesn't attempt to, so much as directly, bring you about to his train of thought, but rather, puts forward the evidence and lets you form the valid conclusions.

If he were attempting to emulate RLM, you would see a vast amount more in the joke department. You would see much more off color remarks, and more gags. He would also be focusing more on the game itself, rather than just the plot. About the only things similar between them are the use of lists and the opening phrase.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
roll-a-die said:
This guy is attempting to deconstruct and describe the plot elements and tell you what went right and what went wrong.

And he fails miserably. He just fails to understand the difference between story in movies and videogames. You see, RLM spent 70 minutes explaining the flaws that ruined SW prequels, this guy spent 60 minuted ranting about stuff nobody cares about and is not important to enjoyment player gets from the game. Thats why RLM is regarded as talented critic and this guy is just a raging nerd.

roll-a-die

Magister
Hamster said:
roll-a-die said:
This guy is attempting to deconstruct and describe the plot elements and tell you what went right and what went wrong.

And he fails miserably. He just fails to understand the difference between story in movies and videogames. You see, RLM spent 70 minutes explaining the flaws that ruined SW prequels, this guy spent 60 minuted ranting about stuff nobody cares about and is not important to enjoyment player gets from the game. Thats why RLM is regarded as talented critic and this guy is just a raging nerd.
So because he focus's on the STORY of a STORY BASED game, he's just a raging nerd?

roll-a-die

Magister
Wyrmlord said:
roll-a-die said:
This guy is attempting to deconstruct
A FUCKING SPACE SHOOTER

THAT CENTERS AROUND A STORY! THAT WAS HYPED FOR ITS STORY! THAT MAINLY FEATURES STORY. THAT WAS MADE TO SUPPORT A STORY THAT WAS MADE BY PEOPLE WHO ARE REGARDED AS GOOD STORY TELLERS, MAYBE NOT HERE BUT ELSEWHERE.

Gears of War has a story, but it doesn't center on that story. The story is mainly a method of furthering gameplay. ME2 was made so gameplay furthers story. It's a bad story, and that is what he's trying to point out. He's directly pointing out flaws in the story because it is generally regarded, by people who are not us, as having a good... STORY!

Someone who likes Mass Effect (oh noes its me):

I thought the story was acceptable, only it didn't move forward the action at all for the whole "reaper fight." I found the game itself acceptable and it was an enjoyable idea that anyone could die. But you're basically back at square one, you have no new insight into the reapers besides the fact of how they are made.

roll-a-die

Magister
circ said:
It's hilarious because apparently he loved ME 1, but it had the exact same problems that ME 2 did. So he's deconstructing ME 1.

Actually most of his complaints are on the fact that you are fixing peoples "daddy issues" for little actual reason, the fact that the plot itself has VERY little to do with ME1 and that most of the actions you or others take make little sense, if they make any at all.

Xor

Arcane
I don't feel like watching that video and I especially don't feel like standing up for ME2, but I do think that you're trying too hard.

roll-a-die

Magister
Xor said:
I don't feel like watching that video and I especially don't feel like standing up for ME2, but I do think that you're trying too hard.
Meh. I, quite honestly, have nothing better to do with my time. I suppose I could play a video game or read a book. But that's not as fun as talking or arguing with what I assume are actual people.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
roll-a-die said:
Xor said:
Meh. I, quite honestly, have nothing better to do with my time. I suppose I could play a video game or read a book. But that's not as fun as talking or arguing with what I assume are actual people.

Code error.
Answer not found.
Rebooting system.
Please wait...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom