Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroquest returns

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
For his 25th anniversary, the famous boardgame returns under a Kickstarster campaign.
The campagn has been launched since only 2 days, asking for only 58k$, and by now, it's just a crazy succes.They have raised more than 800% of their goal by reaching about 520k$

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2113976860/heroquest-25th-anniversary?ref=category

You can also preorder your game directly at Gamezone Miniatures too, there are 3 different editions from 65€ to 110€
http://www.gamezoneminiatures.com/tienda/en/86-heroquest

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
God, I'm old. Funny thing, here in Brazil it was too expensive to make those plastic models, so out Hero Quest box came with paper dolls instead:

hero-quest-estrela-lote-pecas-2-ac-trocas_MLB-F-197970567_5175.jpg

But really, $90 is too much for my pockets.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Same rules or have they updated them at all? To be honest vanilla HeroQuest is kinda shit and hasn't aged that well. There are are plenty of better board games for a better price than what they are asking here.

Edit: The bling is real cool though and I'm a sucker for bling

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Same rules or have they updated them at all? To be honest vanilla HeroQuest is kinda shit and hasn't aged that well. There are are plenty of better board games for a better price than what they are asking here.

My thoughts exactly. Our Heroquest games seem to be fun mostly because of reasons of nostalgia or because we invent our own shit or do it more in the style of oldschool P&P or something.

mondblut

Arcane
Didn't Issaries snatch the name for their post-Runequest Glorantha RPG? No wonder the name as generic as that gets to move places. Quest for Glory says hi :lol:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Given that Heroquest was a joint publication by Milton Bradley (now Hasbro), and Games Workshop, I'm not too surprised about the legal issues.

kazgar

Arcane
There's some talk in the kickstarter thread in GG, they allegedly got the rights to the spanish version, but were going to sell it worldwide and talking about shipping it as a gift to get around various laws.

Seems dodgy.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Given that Heroquest was a joint publication by Milton Bradley (now Hasbro), and Games Workshop, I'm not too surprised about the legal issues.
Yea, the moment I noticed Games Workshop NOT being mentioned, I could heard the rushing feet of an army of bloodthirsty lawyers circling in.

Alex

Arcane

My thoughts exactly. Our Heroquest games seem to be fun mostly because of reasons of nostalgia or because we invent our own shit or do it more in the style of oldschool P&P or something.

You ever play Warhammer Quest, Grunker?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

You ever play Warhammer Quest, Grunker?

Can't say I have :)

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was wrong, it was not GW/Hasbro sending the Cease and Desist, it was Moon Design Publications LLC the TradeMark holders of Glorantha's heroquest (which is a RPG set in the same universe than King of the Dragon Pass, that has nothing to do with MB/GW's Heroquest). That said, it looks like GameZone had not worked any deal with Hasbro/GW, and only secured the Trademark in Spain as it was not claimed there. So they did no work on the game (except for a few renders), paid around 200$ for trademark in Spain, and that's it. To put it bluntly, they look more like Trademark trolls to me, and maybe it is a good thing this KS did not make it.

Anyway, I still have my copy of HQ, and replayed it this summer : the game does not work well when players exploit the rules... You get them searching for half the treasure deck in the first room, then proceed at a snail pace so that the positionning is optimal before breaching each door. The problem is that the more tactical dungeon crawling games do not have Heroquest's (or Warhammer Quest) charisma.

Falksi

Arcane
Just what the absolute FUCK have they done to the artwork on the re-release?

z79PL3L.jpg

Ne0oRgE.jpg

What an abomination.

Why? Just...why?

Cleanse your palette with the original........

xe1PU1N.jpg

Humbaba

Arcane
Classically trained artists have become economically unviable and died out that's what's happened.

Falksi

Arcane
Classically trained artists have become economically unviable and died out that's what's happened.

Surely there's someone who can draw out there who understands that hands aren't bigger than a head though?

It looks like something I drew as a teen.

Humbaba

Arcane
Surely there's someone who can draw out there who understands that hands aren't bigger than a head though?

It looks like something I drew as a teen.

On a serious note, the most likely answer is that traditional artists are very expensive and this is a kickstarter project. Furthermore, tastes have changed in the last decades. I personally blame Warcraft and Anime for the decline in more grounded, not to say realistic depictions of fantasy characters but who knows. Even GW succumbed to that trend with AoS, though 40k is still intact and Fantasy is coming back. Not much demand in Frazetta or Ken Kelly style artwork when there's cheaper digital art that is also much more palatable to the mainstream.

For instance, look at poor Slambo (green chaos warrior to the immediate right of barb). The original is a prime example of the old school fantasy style, being at the base level a regular armored figure with fantastical elements and proportions merely added. He is easily readable as some sort of knight. Nu-Slambo is an abomination, very much the epitome of the flanderisation of fantasy art. Jagged edges everywhere, a shield 3 times his own size that has a mouth, his armor that also has a mouth and looks like its 10x thicker than it needs to be, a stupid helmet that makes him look like an ant and wielding a mace (?) that looks like a can opener. It's fantasy right? It only needs to look cool!

Arbaces

Novice
I had the misfortune of seeing this in person. It just felt totally wrong. The box was too thick about the size of two originals stacked on top of each other, the miniature sculpts were awful overdesigned crap, references to chaos were expunged, and they took the gargoyle's whip away. The only area I'll grudgingly concede an improvement is the idea to use plastic furniture instead of cardboard, but it suffered for the the awful art style used. The rules are the same as eve: bad, and stripping away the nostalgia removes any reason to play it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom