Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of the Storm

AzraelDR

Novice
So some Codexians actually play MOBAs? What's the appeal? I can't get into these games because they seem to be inherently flawed in terms of game design. Even the most team focused games apart from MOBAs value individual skill. Team Fortress may have distinct classes, but your skill as an FPS player still matters to contribute to your team towards achieving victory. The little time I spend playing the first DOTA bored me, since everything that you have to do in "building" the character is already predetermined, and then you spend most of the game grinding or coordinating attacks. A large part of winning has to do with choosing the right character that works with other team members and doing the right item progression. The actual game play is non-existent. Am I missing something here? Has there been changes that provide a more dynamic gameplay in DOTA 2 or LOL?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Blizzard is about three or more years behind on the MOBA craze. As I mentioned (months) earlier though, they still have a fan base who will play this game and buy microtransactions no matter what.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The actual game play is non-existent.
I don't think that means what you think it means.

this game looks even more dumbed down that LoL. the game is spearheaded by the designer of SC2 and I very much doubt he has any idea of what makes a dota game addicting.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
So some Codexians actually play MOBAs? What's the appeal? I can't get into these games because they seem to be inherently flawed in terms of game design. Even the most team focused games apart from MOBAs value individual skill. Team Fortress may have distinct classes, but your skill as an FPS player still matters to contribute to your team towards achieving victory. The little time I spend playing the first DOTA bored me, since everything that you have to do in "building" the character is already predetermined, and then you spend most of the game grinding or coordinating attacks. A large part of winning has to do with choosing the right character that works with other team members and doing the right item progression. The actual game play is non-existent. Am I missing something here? Has there been changes that provide a more dynamic gameplay in DOTA 2 or LOL?
There's quite a lot of skill involved in microing a character in with an RTS interface. Aiming and dodging are not easy, and some MOBAs have other timing things you have to do.

That being said, there being skill doesn't make the gameplay interesting.

AzraelDR

Novice
The actual game play is non-existent.
I don't think that means what you think it means.

this game looks even more dumbed down that LoL. the game is spearheaded by the designer of SC2 and I very much doubt he has any idea of what makes a dota game addicting.

Okay, there is a semblance of gameplay. What I'm trying to say is that in-game, there is a very limited set of skills needed to win. Again, it's been a long time since I've played a MOBA, but my experience has been (1) know the item progression for the levels, (2) grind, (3) coordinate attacks. It is very simplistic. Has there been any innovations that improve or expand the skills needed in modern MOBA games? Moreover, has the genre become more dynamic in terms of the number of options that change depending on an evolving game situation?

Mangoose said:
There's quite a lot of skill involved in microing a character in with an RTS interface. Aiming and dodging are not easy, and some MOBAs have other timing things you have to do.

I've played many RTS since Warcraft II, and I would say that I am competent at microing units, especially since RTS require you to do these things WHILE macroing. Can you give some examples of the other timings in modern MOBA games?

somebody already knew years ago...

at_comic122.jpg

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
If you are into DotA there is zero reasons to play this.It plays like LoL with the spaming of abilities that do little damage and they somehow made movement speed even slower(can imagine if you come from HoN it will be like slideshow).There is huge margin for error as nobody can do damage until very late,sometimes 3 or 4 heroes gang one and can't kill him.

AMG

Arbiter
So basically they removed everything what makes dota remotely interesting and called it a day? Who the hell designed this piece of shit

designer of SC2

Oh... that makes sense.

Anyway the only interesting thing they came up with is the neutral camps pushing for you when you defeat them. Thats actually kinda cool. Too bad their creativity stopped there.
Hero designes look bsb, even worse than LawL, do damage in a cone, do damage in a circle, do damage in a straight line. The abathur hero they were so proud of looked like the most boring thing on planet.

Anyway, the funniest thing about this game is that there is no reason why this not a custom map for SC2. Aside from like 30 new models this game didn't take anything to make.
It also seems like there is barely any interest in this crap, since the mobabb crowd seems to be firmly entreched in dotard and lesbians camps, so the only people interested in this are probably some stragglers who never got into either. Inb4 cancelled. But who knows, maybe activision will be content with scraps from the dota table, since as I said this shit must have costed 5$, so ROI should be good.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's interesting. I guess with Heroes of the Storm we will see how much of the MOBA market is actually made up out of people who are really hardcore about the mechanics, vs. those who just want to play a few games with their friends. Blizzard has obviously done some math to figure out if creating a more simplified, casual MOBA is going to work. Even if's a less interesting game, I assume they wouldn't do this without having a good business reason.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's interesting. I guess with Heroes of the Storm we will see how much of the MOBA market is actually made up out of people who are really hardcore about the mechanics, vs. those who just want to play a few games with their friends. Blizzard has obviously done some math to figure out if creating a more simplified, casual MOBA is going to work. Even if's a less interesting game, I assume they wouldn't do this without having a good business reason.

Or they can always respond to criticism with "It's casual game ,we will not balance shit",so less work for them.

J1M

Arcane
Maybe they understand that "spending 50 hours to learn the item shop tech tree" does not equate to player skill. Or that losing the game 20 minutes before it is over isn't fun.

DakaSha

Arcane
Game looks like doodoo but you are all still a bunch of uninformed poopoo brains

Even streamers on blizzard's payroll looked bored while playing. Can't say i blame them. "It's not simple enough" seems to be the motto of Blizzard these days.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I've played many RTS since Warcraft II, and I would say that I am competent at microing units, especially since RTS require you to do these things WHILE macroing. Can you give some examples of the other timings in modern MOBA games?

Why don't you... you know... actually play the game and see? Dota 2 is no cake walk when top players go against top players.

Anyway, speaking of MOBAs, I tried that new Dead Island one that's still in beta and wow is it bland. I guess they don't intend it to be a fully fledged MOBA as there are only four different characters with fairly nondescript differences in abilities. It's more like a shallow arpg with versus.

TedNugent

Arcane
It looks like a microtransaction cheese maze/skinner box.

Blizzard has fallen into designing skinner boxes ever since WoW. Diablo 3 and now this. They don't make games any more, they just make cheese mazes.

Skinnerbox_zpsb1f05e42.jpg

All of the heroes are well guarded behind paywalls and even the game modes are locked. I don't understand what is the fascination with locking different game modes. They even advertise in the trailer how they'll force you to go into a tutorial against AI opponents the first time you play - as though no one has played a MOBA at this point.

Severian Silk

I have never played a MOBA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom