Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Newerth 2.0

Ashery

Prophet
2.0 hasn't changed my feelings toward the game in any meaningful way.

Yea, there's a store where people with too much money can buy shit that has no impact on gameplay. Only played the new map a couple of times (an in house game with some friends) and didn't care all that much for it, but neither of the games were fair as we had one terrible player that made it into a 2v3 (Bottle on Polly initially, went straight for Ghost Marchers after, and, at level10, had skills set at 1,3,1,1,4. That's *four* in fucking attribute boost and only one in his two best skills...*sob*...

Anyways, Myrm (the water dude) and Bomb were both introduced before 2.0 and, yea, Myrm is overpowered as hell mid game.

I'm in the "Clan RPG Codex" (or whatever it's called) channel whenever I'm on if folks want a game.

What I don't understand is why so many 'dex folk pile the hate on thick when it's one of the few popular games out that actually has a bitch of a learning curve.

Padre

Liturgist
Water dude is Myrmadon, just buy Magic vestments and he's total crap, 100% of his dmg output is magic.

I will probably log in around midnight GMT+1 so maybe we can play something together. Saw Dele yesterday, he became pretty good.

Still, according to the forums the fastest way to gain coins is to 3vs3 Grimm's Crossing CM. We might try that for a change.

edit

If you think Myrm is OP then you should see Bombardier with Spellshard lvl 3 and SoTM.
It's a walking gg :retarded:

But at least it can help with this fucking carry oriented meta which I find boring. Gankers is where it's at atm.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Occasionally Fatal said:
Grunker said:
Trollin' aside, which features make HoN so preferable compared to LoL? Genuinely interested.

Heroes of Newerth vs. League of Legends -- The Complete Unabridged Bible

Just as I thought. Relatively few and minor distinctions between the two. The stuff that matters to me; the absence of the stupid concept of a secret shop and proper match-making, as well as completely free play, is in LoL, so I still see no reason to play HoN.

In essence, I agree with his very last sentence; play the game you like the most or that your friends play.

His claim that you must spend money for gameplay-advantages in LoL is downright false though. I've never spent one cent on it, and I have everything I need. Everything that impacts gameplay can be purchased for IP, which are earned just by playing.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
What Grunker said. Me and several friends played both LoL and HoN back when HoN was in beta and still free. Once it went commercial, only 2 out of a group of 20 or so I played with regularly chose it over LoL. The differences in the two games are small enough that you should go with whichever game your friends play. Having people you know to play with is more important than whether or not you can deny creeps, lose gold on deaths or have functional matchmaking.

As an aside though, while both communities have their share of asshats, HoN is a veritable shitstorm of hatred, cursing, idiocy and tryhard 13-year-olds. If you do pick HoN over LoL, do yourself a favour and put everyone you meet on ignore immediately.

Besides, LoL has Morgana, so it wins by default :love:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Excommunicator said:
Do either of the two have single player AI implemented?

Not anything that's worth playing against. But if there was, there wouldn't be much of a single-player experience to ask from in these kindda games.

I always enjoyed the AI in DotA, even if I did have to resort to tricks like fast AI levelling, low player gold and 5v1 battles etc.

Either way, I prefer the "cleanliness" of battling against AI, not having to chance myself in games that risk having idiot players or connection issues or any of that crap. Even if it can only go so far, it is still more relaxing knowing the AI just gets on with the task.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Excommunicator said:
I always enjoyed the AI in DotA, even if I did have to resort to tricks like fast AI levelling, low player gold and 5v1 battles etc.

Either way, I prefer the "cleanliness" of battling against AI, not having to chance myself in games that risk having idiot players or connection issues or any of that crap. Even if it can only go so far, it is still more relaxing knowing the AI just gets on with the task.

Play with friends and friends only like me and Ulm do. You're welcome to add me, I also play with Ulm sometimes.

Playing with pals assures the idiots stay on the opposition's side.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Grunker said:
Markman said:
it does lack alot of features around the game.

Trollin' aside, which features make HoN so preferable compared to LoL? Genuinely interested.
I didnt say HoN's more preferable then LoL, its just features like observer mode, replays, built in voice chat, more game modes, more maps that LoL lacks. Instead of making a full game Riot has been focusing on releasing another champ and 5 new skins every 2 weeks. Ive been playing since april and only thing we got was a draft mode and a bunch of unbalanced champs that had been nerfed to the ground in the next few patches after release.
I like LoL, but Riot are fucking assholes.

Padre

Liturgist
So guys, what are you thoughts about 2.0 and Dampeer ?

Last game I saw him he won mid against Repulsor and proceeded to rape. Ended up 20-2 or something like that. Played him once and fed like a motherfucker so will have to check the replay and see how he did it. :M

Oh and Ulminati although I agree HoN's community is harsh, it's hardly a 13y.o playground. Since LoL is free there are more smurfs, leavers, griefers, afkers and kids.

Last I checked lol forums it was full of QQ about Riot releasing skins and skins only while you still have no replays and observer mode :smug:

DefJam101

Arcane
Ashery said:
What I don't understand is why so many 'dex folk pile the hate on thick when it's one of the few popular games out that actually has a bitch of a learning curve.
You need to memorize a lot of shit to be even slightly competent which many people (perhaps rightfully) dislike.

Also, it's a worthless game for pubs and being "the noob" among friends ain't much fun.

Archibald

Arcane
The stuff that matters to me; the absence of the stupid concept of a secret shop and proper match-making, as well as completely free play, is in LoL, so I still see no reason to play HoN.

What makes secret shop stupid? It`s on the map and everyone knows where it is, only difference that it isn`t in the base so sometimes you have to use brains to not get raped while shoping. Also, HoN has MM and it kicks ass.

So guys, what are you thoughts about 2.0 and Dampeer ?

Being a vampire fag i insta picked him in two AP games. Lost both of them, in one i was carrying like a true bro raping valkyries but got destroyed in the end due to shit team(Pyro with SOTM and no shards or PK FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU), in another one was in a lane with Maliken against 2 ranged and fed like a true faggot. Spellshards look like a core on him, maybe HotBL or Shrunken too.

Padre

Liturgist
I can't seem to be able to win anything lately. I don't have much time for playing (like 5 games a week) but damn every fucking time I'm in a game at least one of our lanes gets completely destroyed.

Yesterday was playing with chlubion and had an epic score with FA but due to butthurt mid hero who ragequitted at around 7 minute mark we had to play 4vs5. Raxed one lane, killed kongor twice etc but at some point we just started losing teamfights and although we even tried to backdoor the shrine we lost.

60 minute game and lost because of some fucking butthurt child. :x

Getting a bloodbath in 10 minutes was nice though :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom