Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

Malaphusis

Literate
The interviewer was absolutely clueless.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter

Gosh the animations are terrible. What happened to the third party studio they had before? That's about the only thing they had got right in the last one.

It's not even up to 2000s standards.

And that Ubiguy sounds like a teen going through early puberty.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, that escalated quickly

I'm not a huge fan of the series, but I am curious. At first at seemed like some people ITT, including some serious HoMM fans, liked the graphics. Now suddenly you don't? What gives?

I like the graphics. It's everything else I dislike.

Didn't somebody tell them that there are no good heroes games after 3?

It seems you haven't played HoMM V, the best HoMM game besides #3.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
so I checked the gaemplay demo

cool scripted events bonanza bro, I really like your take on Etherlords

oh wait

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
First they make a new Etherlords, then they make a new HM&M 5. Everybody wins.

Zeriel

Arcane
so I checked the gaemplay demo

cool scripted events bonanza bro, I really like your take on Etherlords

oh wait

This is how every single game show video is + it's the nature of all modern games in singleplayer campaigns. Singleplayer campaigns are the ghetto of scripted nonsense, you go to freeform scenarios or multiplayer if you want to be left alone to just play the game.

Way too early to judge, but it looks better than 6. (Not a big hurdle to leap, I know.)

bloodlover

Arcane
This seems to be waaaaaaaaay much better than I was expecting. I hope the engine won't be so clunky.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
This is how every single game show video is + it's the nature of all modern games in singleplayer campaigns. Singleplayer campaigns are the ghetto of scripted nonsense, you go to freeform scenarios or multiplayer if you want to be left alone to just play the game.

I dunno mang, even the very fact of including scripted events like the ones in this presentation in muh HoMM campaigns is already a gigantic flashing red light to me.

The principle for all the parts thus far has always been that they were sort of fair. Sure, the AI might have started with 5 cities, an OP hero, fuckhueg army and massive resources. But when it was your turn, it was your turn, and if you caught the enemy hero in a corner with his pants down, you could go ahead and kill him. But if this is going to introduce interruptions and interventions by the AI during your turn, I already view this as terrible, and it can potentially lead to situations where you think you catch the enemy hero, but then he suddenly jolts away yelling "MWAHAHA! *Twirls moustache* FUCK YOU, DARTH ROXOR, I'LL BE WAITING FOR YOU IN MY CASTLE".

Zeriel

Arcane

I dunno mang, even the very fact of including scripted events like the ones in this presentation in muh HoMM campaigns is already a gigantic flashing red light to me.

The principle for all the parts thus far has always been that they were sort of fair. Sure, the AI might have started with 5 cities, an OP hero, fuckhueg army and massive resources. But when it was your turn, it was your turn, and if you caught the enemy hero in a corner with his pants down, you could go ahead and kill him. But if this is going to introduce interruptions and interventions by the AI during your turn, I already view this as terrible, and it can potentially lead to situations where you think you catch the enemy hero, but then he suddenly jolts away yelling "MWAHAHA! *Twirls moustache* FUCK YOU, DARTH ROXOR, I'LL BE WAITING FOR YOU IN MY CASTLE".

Not going to argue that it's not stupid and I wish it were otherwise--because it is stupid and I wish it were otherwise, but it's hard to imagine people making a niche game in the year 2014 that doesn't involve shitty cinematics and animations that interrupt gameplay everywhere. In MMXL it was fucking annoying because the singleplayer campaign is all there is, but a silly singleplayer campaign that has scripting that interrupts gameplay from time to time doesn't bother me so much in a game series where the singleplayer campaigns are just an elaborated tutorial/teaching tool. My best times with every HOMM title have been in separate scenarios that aren't a part of the campaigns, preferably an XL map because you get to actually see your heroes reach max level.

We're assuming, of course, that this is emblematic of the campaign too, and not just the first introductory mission or some piece of shit they trot out only for preview events. It could easily be either.

I know you didn't like MMXL very much, but it was good enough for me to sort of give Limbic the benefit of the doubt on this one. The graphics look fine, maybe slightly better than 6, and the graphics in 6 were already the best part of 6. If they can even manage to near 5's gameplay with these visuals, it should be an alright HOMM. Nothing's gonna be made ever again that matches 2 or 3, but something that beats out 5 would actually be a nice thing in 2015.

So are Romero and King doing the music?

Pretty sure I saw it confirmed that they are. They were on 6 afair, a lot of the tracks were remixes of stuff from 2.

DeepOcean

Arcane
it can potentially lead to situations where you think you catch the enemy hero, but then he suddenly jolts away yelling "MWAHAHA! *Twirls moustache* FUCK YOU, DARTH ROXOR, I'LL BE WAITING FOR YOU IN MY CASTLE".

I hate when this shit happens, I almost can see the middle finger of the developer in the middle of the screen and it is almos as if they said: "Fuck you! We know what is fun for you better than you!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom