Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

Tytus

Arcane
GREEN DRAGON
MMH7_Green_Dragon_A_Mini.jpg

EMERALD DRAGON
MMH7_Emerald_Dragon_A_Mini.jpg
Dragons without wings are just plain fucking lizards, not dragons. :decline:

magical_mystery_cure_sad_spike_vector_by_kapicator-d5w6664.png

Lucky

Arcane
Now that’s what I call a deer in headlights.

Moon Doe
Female Twilight Stags are nocturnal. While they don’t burst into flame when they are touched by sunlight (contrary to what the old nursery rhyme says), they prefer to come out at night, especially when Asha’s Moon is high in the sky, hence their name.

Sun Deer
Needless to say, mating is a rather complicated affair for Twilight Stags, as the males and females can only meet during the short periods when both sun and moon are in the sky!

A deer that should be extinct.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Actually it looks nice, artwork is well...

But tbh it kinda bores me. It's all Heroes 5 again. Even though I endorsed this approach at the beginning, now that I see every unit remained exactly the same I can't get myself motivated for it.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Renegen said:
...hard to get excited about knights and griffins every time...
:what:

But isn't it true? Haven has become the most unwanted faction ever. Also Sentinel, Guardian, Landsknecht... all look kinda the same. Very unimaginative. Erh... and wait, I don't see any Griffins listed anymore. Griffins are gone? Now it has become even more generic. Why not give them a medium-sized giant? They were in folklores anyways... like "Rübezahl". They could have enhanced the variety with:
  • Giant [stun attack with club]
  • KKK-Monk [upgradeable to Conjurer or Combatant]

Last edited:

hello friend

Arcane
It has nothing to do with knights and griffins. It has to do with the retarded WoW-like cartoon style that has been employed in every game after no. 4. It all looks so... bland. Soulless. HOMM4 was soulless too, but that was excusable given the circumstances.

And the HOMM games were all about soul. So very evocative. But that's over with, now. It seems to me that this new installment might be doing a lot of things right. Who knows? It might even be a good game. But I know I won't be able to muster the interest when it is released. HOMM has become an empty husk.

It's dead, Zed. Bag and tag.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I don't like the blobby textured, lollipop style of WoW either, and it was a pain in Heroes 5. However in Heroes 7 it seems like they returned to the roots and made environments and textures look "realistic" again (thanks to Unreal Engine and detailed textures).

Aothan

Magister
TheSavant said:
Erh... and wait, I don't see any Griffins listed anymore. Griffins are gone?

it appears as though they have been replaced with 'Hounds', which undermines my interest all of sudden (I should mention that I've never played HOMM).

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I hate WoW so much for popularizing this tripe. It was "ok" in Warcraft 3 but they completely and utter blew it out of proportion in WoW and going forward. Every thing has to be super colorful and over designed. I remember seeing the protoss zealot for the first time in starcraft 2 and saying "people get payed for this? That armor has more bling and crystals than the average rapper."

People aren't asking the most important question regarding HOMM, how is the pacing? The key to HOMM gameplay has always been meaningful choices in short spans of time, speed is the make-or-break factor.
The fact that people are retroactively praising HOMM 5 is major :decline:. Not even taking in account the animations, the game moved at a snail's pace due to the fact that they jacked the prices up for everything in comparison to 1-4 and the skill tree is a confusing mess that requires a guide to plan properly and it takes even longer to get meaningful skills. Artificial lengthening does not a HOMM game make, y'all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
lots of facebook/mobile games have very good 2d art so that's not necessarily a bad thing. The bigger problem that I can see is that it looks... bland. Heroes 3 maintained a consistent style without making everything look the same. They've consistently failed to hit the sweet spot between consistent and distinct since heroes 5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom