Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Ugh, at this point it's probably stupid to expect a game of similar quality as HoMM II or III (my favorites). Still everytime I got this childlike hope for a brighter tomorrow. Like said here concepts shown so far are not very good, but maybe I can pick this up at some point and try to enjoy it as a separate experience while not thinking (too) much about the past.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/from-heroes-iii-to-heroes-vii

FROM HEROES III TO HEROES VII 12/17/2014 | 1147 comments
As any good heir to a long dynasty, Heroes VII feeds upon a long history of predecessors, including the beloved third installment, known to be most appreciated amongst all.

This article shows how the design of Heroes VII reflects some aspects of its illustrious ancestor.

COMBAT CALCULATIONS:
Combat calculations system is very similar to H3’s. The difference between two opposed unit stacks is based on their respective attack and defense value. This difference generates a multiplier to the damage dealt from the attacker, which is subtracted to the stack’s health of the defender.

In Heroes VII, hero’s stats simply are added to creatures ones, allowing players to easily grasp the interest of a spell or an ability (for instance, if an ability gives a +5 attack bonus, the target receive a +5 bonus to its stats and that’s it).

HERO STATS:
Now that we introduced the calculation topic, it is the perfect timing to go deeper on the hero’s stats!

In Heroes VII, we decided to go back to the roots of this area and reduce stats to 7. The functions of these are similar to those in Heroes III, with the addition of the hero damage (since the hero can attack a stack directly).
  • Might (adds to creature attack)
  • Defense (adds to creature defense)
  • Magic (increases the power of spells)
  • Spirit (increases the mana pool)
  • Leadership (adds to creature morale)
  • Destiny (adds to creature luck)
  • Damage
H7_Heroes.jpg

LUCK AND MORALE:
Luck and morale are prominent in heroes VII. You can play with those as actual game changers. Factions like Haven can bet their victory on their high morale, granting additional actions, and therefore additional damage. Undeads can play their debuffing abilities to send their enemies into negative morale, sometimes forcing them to miss a complete turn!

Luck can be boosted to deal critical attacks but also lowered to cause fumbles (critical failure) and low damage!

WARFARE UNITS:
In memory of the ballista and healing tent, Heroes VII brings back the same game function in more faction-specific style, and therefore changes names. As introduced previously with Heroes VI, they can be machines or creatures and are unique per army. Heroes can specialize in their use and buy buildings to empower them.
  • The attack unit is the heir of the ballista : it’s a ranged damage dealing machine or creature.
  • The support unit is the heir of the healing tent : it buffs or heals creatures in the army.
  • The siege unit is the their of the catapult : it attacks a town’s wall to create an opening.

H7_Warfare_Units.jpg

MAGIC:
The magic guild and spell acquisition in Heroes VII is deeply inspired from Heroes III, and will be the topic an upcoming article. Stay tuned!

CREATURE ABILITIES:
In Heroes VII, creatures tend to have less abilities, and use more passive abilities similar to those found in Heroes III (e.g.: Medusa attacks have XX% chance to turn enemies to stone). Some trigger on critical attacks, some work all the time, overall, the player has less to read and click, and more to think.

MULTI-FACTION PLAY:
In Heroes VII, having no town conversion pushes the player to play more than just one faction at a time either by mixing armies or by leading more heroes to the front, just like in Heroes III. An interesting challenge.

RESOURCES:
As already explained in this article, Heroes VII goes back to 7 resources just like in Heroes III, only with different names.

H7_Resources.jpg

MAP EDITOR:
With Heroes VII, we want to provide the player with the same freedom to create maps, campaigns, and a powerful and versatile editor is being developed to that end. Our ambition is to give the opportunity to map makers from all horizons and level of expertise to unleash their creativity like they were able to do with Heroes III map editor. This one is of course our main reference (along with H4 one) for this tool development and we wish to go even further! We are looking forward sharing with you more information on this topic!

Of course there are plenty more elements from Heroes III and other titles that we decided to give our respect to on Heroes VII. Our objective with Heroes VII is to provide the best of Heroes and we will have additional surprises to unveil soon!

Stay tuned!
The M&M team.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
HERO STATS:

In Heroes VII, we decided to go back to the roots of this area and reduce stats to 7.

• Leadership (adds to creature morale)
  • Destiny (adds to creature luck)

lololololo WUT

no skill acquisitions for heroes confirmed

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They suspiciously dodge mentioning whether skill gain is random or pick whatever you like.

lololololo WUT

no skill acquisitions for heroes confirmed

Hmmm, does this help?

https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/q-a-age-of-heroes

05) How will the skill system work this time? Will perks make their return and will skill be random with leveling up?

[XP] The truth is we discussed an option to implement randomization. But in the end we decided to let you choose what skills / abilities you want to unlock. So it will be a kind of mix between H6 (full control is in your hands) and H5 (skills are structured in a wheel). We will develop this point in the following months on our Shadow Council website to give you more details.

http://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/end-of-the-year-special-gift

Nevertheless, we know that we can’t “disappear” without offering you one last gift for this great year of 2014. We heard your trustful passion and since our objective is to provide “The best of Heroes”, we decided to implement something that has been highly requested recently.

Available as an option that you will be able to enable or disable, the team implemented for the new milestone a specific feature that we know many of you have been eagerly waiting for… We are sure you already understood which one we are talking about and we can hear your voices in our heads chanting “#GURS #GURS #GURS #GURS”!

YES! Yes, Random skills will be available in Heroes VII! As an option for the ones who want it and the ones who don’t :)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Leadership and luck being stats instead of skills is still popamolefaggotry to the extreme
2mr9tg1.jpg

Cadmus

Arcane
sorry, I gotta clean the developer's cum from my screen to read the article....oh no, wait, that's the actual article.

So much jerking off to Heroes III, it sounds only like a PR article. I don't want Heroes III-2, I want a new, fresh and well made game with a good art direction, atmosphere, combat and leveling system and unique factions. (yeah Im aware that that's all been decided by now)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I remain doubtful whether allowing you to force randomization upon yourself will solve the problems that picking freely brought. Time will tell

.. I want a new, fresh and well made game with a good art direction, atmosphere, combat and leveling system and unique factions. (yeah Im aware that that's all been decided by now)

Don't look the the HoMM franchise then.
I mean, change the town screen and you got a riot on your hands.

Archibald

Arcane
Morale and luck being stats feels a bit strange, I mean who doesn't like extra turns?

Zeriel

Arcane
I remain doubtful whether allowing you to force randomization upon yourself will solve the problems that picking freely brought. Time will tell

My first impression was "That's some dumbshit, it should be mandatory" but for multiplayer games this actually is fine. Good players will all agree to random picking if they don't want there to be a metagame to skillpicks. If people can't agree, that's a PEBKAC.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Everything was fun and games till you cannot get wisdom with your 5 mage heroes in same game...

That random skill pick is the only thing I hated in previous HoMMs, mostly because I'm unlucky as usual. Kills the strategy element imho. RMG and special weeks were enough as RNG element.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Everything was fun and games till you cannot get wisdom with your 5 mage heroes in same game...
Which happened, like, never. But yeah, it could really screw you if you were going for a specific hero/build (like not getting water magic when picking Loynis - that did actually happen to me a good few times) and it was one of the things I wanted changed in III. I also always thought that it would be a nice idea to just receive a stat point on level up an be able to freely distribute it.

Zeriel

Arcane
Which happened, like, never. But yeah, it could really screw you if you were going for a specific hero/build (like not getting water magic when picking Loynis - that did actually happen to me a good few times) and it was one of the things I wanted changed in III. I also always thought that it would be a nice idea to just receive a stat point on level up an be able to freely distribute it.

And this is why Ubisoft is fucked. Half the people in this thread want everything like Heroes 3, half want everything different. As a sample as the audience, it must confuse the fuck out of developers.

Cadmus

Arcane
They are just trying too hard to rename everything something epic.
which goes really well with their inane, horribly overdesigned art.

Look guise, Heroes aren't supposed to be epic. Some person here said it the best, they are supposed to be a kind of a collection of various mythological creatures duking it on a pretty map. They should be charming, not epic. The developers are just another bunch of retards who don't understand how to make something really epic. It's not done by adding a bigger shoulder armor.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
And this is why Ubisoft is fucked. Half the people in this thread want everything like Heroes 3, half want everything different. As a sample as the audience, it must confuse the fuck out of developers.

That won't explain the 6th game though where they eliminated some very core features like town screens and mages guild...

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Well, not really. There are obviously some things that could be changed/improved about III, but if they just copied it the fanbase would be content. V copied III way more than IV and VI and it is definitely the most appreciated installment after the real HoMM finished.

Cadmus

Arcane
Well, not really. There are obviously some things that could be changed/improved about III, but if they just copied it the fanbase would be content. V copied III way more than IV and VI and it is definitely the most appreciated installment after the real HoMM finished.
I don't understand those fans. For me, the best way to approach a sequel is how Hitman did it. Each sequel gets better and better and after Blood Money, they had almost nowhere up to go.

With Heroes, there was something more to do as they showed in H4 but everybody screamed murder. I love H3 and H4 both and I think H3 is so good that there's no need to make more of it. H4 is the perfect formula that can use lots of improvements.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I would be happy if they remade HoMMIII with new graphics, integrated all hotkeys from UI mods and stuff and then kept balancing it. To make Eagly Eye a viable choice and such.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Ex-fucking-actly. Today H6 is widely considered an equivalent of child molestation simulator created by Satan himself. Why? Largely because the DRM. But also because it was simply different. I can't say I loved the changes but I didn't mind them either. Hordes of H3 fanbois threw the toys out of their prams though and shat all over the game. In reality it was a solid HOMAM game, worse than H2/H3 but way, way better than the lethally boring crime against humanity that was H5.

But all this back and forth is irrelevant anyway because for the last 10 years the HOMAM formula keeps being consistently shat on by far superior games like Disciples 2, King's Bounty or Erador. The H3 fanatics are gonna scream bloody murder unless they get the exact same copy of their holy relic but meanwhile the world moved on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom