Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of M&M 6 beta

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Random skill selection sucks. It throws off game balance in multiplayer, and makes planning (you know, a great part of strategy) impossible. In games where randomness is in the front seat (ex. Blood Bowl) it makes sense, but even it has less random skill selection than the old Heroes-system.

Min-maxing is not bad. Min-maxing is good. So thank you, Heroes VI, for killing the awful random skill on level up. For you for all the rest of the crap.

Planning is not made impossible just because there is a random selection. You are a poor strategist if you fail when things don't go exactly the way you planned. You need to be able to adapt and switch between strategies when faced with something you didn't expect.

There are two things more important than this though, and that is balance between abilities and system that is deep enough to reward meaningful planning. But this is only Heroes, and there really isn't a whole lot going on, whether you get the ability you want or not.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Tbf the randomness of skill picks in HoM&M III could really fuck you up (there were none in I and in II they were mostly meaningless apart from logistics, wisdom and in some cases archery, estates) if you picked for exmple Thant/Loynis and got no earth/water magic. Still, it was an integral part of the gameplay and sooner or later you got what you wanted in 90% of the matches.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Randomness forces you to be able to adapt which means your plans have to be a lot better. Sometimes it was very annoying when you really could not get an essential skill, but most of the time it worked really well.

Fryjar

Augur
So could someone post his updated beta impressions?
Is it dumped down as it first seemed or an incline? The testers had changed their opinion quite a bit in the later posts here...

Fryjar

Augur
Ruprekt said:
http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11909&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Posts like this are exactly the reason why I'm asking for feedback here and not in the main Heroes community boards.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Excommunicator said:
Planning is not made impossible just because there is a random selection. You are a poor strategist if you fail when things don't go exactly the way you planned. You need to be able to adapt and switch between strategies when faced with something you didn't expect.

There are two things more important than this though, and that is balance between abilities and system that is deep enough to reward meaningful planning. But this is only Heroes, and there really isn't a whole lot going on, whether you get the ability you want or not.
So how many times have you started out with a random hero? Coz you know, even the starting abilities alone could make or brake the game (Deleb in HoMM5 comes to my mind, but HoMM3 had it as well). As long as the skills are situational and useful enough not to warrant an optimum build all across the board, i would be fine with it... however i have my doubts judging by the beta so far.

Marobug

Ruprekt said:
http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11909&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Well he does have a point. Woman are great in the bed or in the kitchen, not in games.

SkeleTony

Augur
Man...I can't believe it but the game somehow turned out ten times WORSE than what I predicted last year!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom