Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help with Dragon Age: Origins mods, bros!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Always a war late, I'll finally install and play Dragon Age: Origins when I go back home at the start of February. I got the Ultimate Edition, which includes the Awakening expansion and all content DLC — and I'll play it on EA's quality game distribution platform and not smelly Steam, trolololololol! I've never been a fan of mods that radically change the gameplay for a first playthrough, and always think there is something wrong in having to install more then 20 mods to make a game playable, but I do like the idea of using mods that fix what is left broken after the last official patch is applied — which should be 1.05 if I'm not mistaken.

Surprisingly enough, I found very little information about the fanfixes projects. It appears that mods with this purpose are numerous with each fixing a small aspect of the game, and the only serious attempt at a big unified mod was done by our old friend ~Qwinn~, where he also shamelessly tried to pimp himself out to Bioware, but that mod was made for 1.03 and hasn't been updated since, and I read reports of incompatibilities with the last official patch. Unsurprisingly enough, the top DA:O mods of all times are nudity and sex mods — which isn't that much of a bad thing, at least we know that Bioware thrives on elven smutt — which makes a search by popularity frustrating, though I enjoyed the pictures of elven titties.

So, should I take the lack of a big fanfix mod as a sign that the game is majestically supported by EA and Bioware and that their last patch fixes everything? Or maybe it means that the last few issues are really not of consequences and the game can be enjoyed vanilla without problem? Unless that means no one cares about the bugs as long as they can install their Morrigan and Leliana threesome mod? Please, recommend me stuff to install to keep the game close to vanilla but make sure I got a smooth X-perience from start to end. You can even tell me about mods that radically change stuff and I'll consider them, if not for my first game but for the next. And if you must, you can also direct my attention to the best nudity and sex mods, because if everyone does it, they must be right.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Better Sex Cutscenes
Slap Morrigan
More Hairstyles
Bidelles Cosmetics
Polygamey
Equal Love
The Pearl Redone
Your personal castle and harem
Natural bodies
Dragon Age Redesigned
Some TnT Armors

Pretty much the way it's meant to be played.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Qwinn's fixpack was rendered obsolete with the 1.04 patch and fucks the game up. Origins in general isn't very buggy unless you count some minor unimplemented items (such as the shitty elven ancient armor) and a horrendous memory leak bug that makes the game crawl after about an hour of gameplay. They apparently fixed that with 1.05 but I've yet to see any improvement. About the only fixes I recommend are:

1, the Morrigan and Zevran Romance Restoration Packs, which in addition to restoring some of the romancing stuff, dialog mostly, also restore stuff for players that don't romance them. Morrigan's RP also includes unrelated fixes, like for the infamous Silverite Mine bug in Awakening which you will NEED if you're planning on playing the expansion.
2, Combat Delay Reduction, which attempts to fix the poor optimization (and succeeds, in my case) when you're fighting a large number of enemies.
3, GT Core Rules Fixpack, which deals with script bugs and some tweaks that make the game more... well, playable, honestly.
Other: Improved Atmosphere attempts to make the game more "lively" (townspeople walking around and stuff) and fixes a couple of silly things, like the human noble player walking around his castle dressed in armor and such. There's a lot more tweaks and fixes like that, nothing vital but I recommend reading up on it anyway.

Everything else is just cosmetics and jerking off. Hairstyles and eyelashes and "that character's armor doesn't look cute enough!" If you want that then I can't help you.

What you really need fixes for is Awakening, which is a mess of broken quest triggers, cutscenes that loop and equipment that suddenly go missing. You want at least: Awakening bugfixes, Awakening endgame cutscene fix and Awakening Silverite Mine Bugfix (if you didn't get it from the Morrigan RRP). There's also Awakening Runes Fixes if you want to craft and stuff.

That's all I can think of.

You may want to have a look at BioWare Social Club's "community fixit" thread too. Unfortunately it's lacking a index of the mods posted so I don't think you're missing anything if you decide it's not worth your time. God knows that's how I felt after three pages, just warning you.

visions

Arcane
Origins in general isn't very buggy unless you count some minor unimplemented items (such as the shitty elven ancient armor) and a horrendous memory leak bug that makes the game crawl after about an hour of gameplay. They apparently fixed that with 1.05 but I've yet to see any improvement.

I have been playing the vanilla Ultimate Edition as well and haven't noticed any problems with neither of these (although I think I use that elven armor since I'm a rogue and this is the best I can use with my strength value). The only problem I've noticed is occasional crashing to the desktop. Haven't tried Awakening yet though (and not sure if I will).

racofer

Thread Incliner
Always a war late, I'll finally install and play Dragon Age: Origins when I go back home at the start of February. I got the Ultimate Edition, which includes the Awakening expansion and all content DLC — and I'll play it on EA's quality game distribution platform and not smelly Steam, trolololololol!

Just so you know, even the Ultimate Edition of the game lacks a few DLCs that were exclusive to promotional releases of the game. None of them are plot driven, but they add a few items to the game, so yeah, ultimate my ass.

Regarding the bug fixing mods, there are about a thousand of them available but no single package, and ~Qwinn~'s version doesn't work with 1.04 upwards, but the game is playable without them.

And if you must, you can also direct my attention to the best nudity and sex mods, because if everyone does it, they must be right.

But of course:

Morrigan's Restoration Patch Dialog Fixpack, restores a lot of unused dialogs from Morrigan.

iQIYg.jpg

---------------------------------
Better Sex Cutscenes, for added immersion.

LSPCw.jpg

The Pearl - Redone, because why the fuck not?

6J2rM.jpg

Zevran's Wedding Mod, for a grand finale:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
iQIYg.jpg

Dose teeth...

But I suppose I have to come clean; Morrigan was the only romance option. Alistair, Zevran and Leliana are idiots and Dog is unavailable (at least in vanilla game). Morrigan was awesome. Matter of fact, I should do a LP about my human noble adventures through Origins, Awakening and Witch Hunt... Hmm...

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Thank you, Andy, I'll look into those. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. :brohoof:

Just so you know, even the Ultimate Edition of the game lacks a few DLCs that were exclusive to promotional releases of the game. None of them are plot driven, but they add a few items to the game, so yeah, ultimate my ass.

Don't worry, I checked that beforehand and saw that the only X-clusive stuff no available is a few items. Since I prefer content and quests over items, I'm fine with that. Besides, it seems you can download and add a few of them that do not require identification. Again, it's not a big deal for me.

Anyway I'll look at the stuff listed here and the thread on Bioware, even if that thing is a goatfucking mess. At least I got time to peruse, being still one month away from home. You'd think that by now someone would have created and maintained a pack that includes fixes to most problems without creating conflicts with each other, but of course they're all busy masturbating to Morrigan's tits.

11272.jpg

Pretty much the way it's meant to be played.

Indeed.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Codex furfagottry: can't edit posts anymore after a certain amount of time has passed.

Anyway, reading on the Morrigan restoration patch, I see no mention of the silverite mine bug. Has it been removed in favour of the other mod, or am I missing the obvious? Both mods appear to be made by the same dude, so that would make sense.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Codex furfagottry: can't edit posts anymore after a certain amount of time has passed.

Anyway, reading on the Morrigan restoration patch, I see no mention of the silverite mine bug. Has it been removed in favour of the other mod, or am I missing the obvious? Both mods appear to be made by the same dude, so that would make sense.
It's not packed in the dazip. It should be included with the download in a folder called "extra" or something like that together with the other fixes, but I didn't download my copy from Nexus though, so... Get the fix from http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1762 instead then.

edit: I was looking at my override folder and saw another tweak you probably want. Personal Annoyance Remover removes (almost) all the annoying visual effects created by spells and such.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Read the thread on Bioware forums and is it a clusterfuck. Thankfully there is a list by a poster on the penultimate page that lists current bugfixes and their incompatibilities, if any.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Read the thread on Bioware forums and is it a clusterfuck. Thankfully there is a list by a poster on the penultimate page that lists current bugfixes and their incompatibilities, if any.
Wow. Well, that's better than nothing, I guess.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Let me help you, my good horsie: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/7438366/6#8119174

It's 5 months old, so maybe new fixes came out but I kinda doubt it. While I'm not surprised so many bugs were left in the game, as it appears to come with most RPG, I'm surprised that some potentially game breaking bugs are still present, and there isn't a combined effort to fix them all. Almost looks like goatfucking Morrowind and Oblivion all over again.

Deleted member 7219

I didn't find the need to install fixes and patches although I might have one installed (been a while since I played DA and I have no desire to right now).

I did have the Dragon Age Redesigned mod installed to fix some of the fugly NPC faces. I went for the lore-friendly versions and if I recall correctly Sten and Leliana definitely looked better than default. Zevran looked even more Barbie though so it wasn't perfect.

Mad Method

Novice
Regarding the bug fixing mods, there are about a thousand of them available but no single package, and ~Qwinn~'s version doesn't work with 1.04 upwards, but the game is playable without them.
Use the 1.0 version. The newer versions aren't compatible with the other 2 content restoration mods anyway.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Right, I'm finally playing that game and it's actually better than I expected. Not that I expected much to begin with but I'm pleased so far, though I haven't reached the much maligned Deep Roads yet. Found a nice combination of mods to fix bugs (most of which from this thread, I could make a list of what I finally installed if someone wants to since I found more combinations to squash bugs) and the game plays decently so far.

Well, almost decently. The biggest problem with that game is that it crashes during most fights. Not every time, but each fight where spells and other abilities with fancy effects are used is liable to crash. It's especially infuriating during encounters against tough opponents or multiple waves where the game will crash near the end and sing "trololololo!" to mock you further. Ok, it doesn't sing but I can hear it inside my head nonetheless. I looked around and tried the regular tricks like disabling framebuffer effects or adding some parameters while launching the game (the most hilarious one must be to add -dx9 to supposedly run the game in dx9 mode when I'm pretty sure DA:O doesn't support any other renderer) but none made a difference. Disabling affinity to one or more cores seemed to bring stability but it's annoying since you lose a bit of performance. At the end of the day, I'd rather have the game run a bit slower and be stable but I just dislike to disable things.

One nice trick I found though, which is the reason I update this thread because it might benefit others, is that the executable for DA:O isn't large address aware. That doesn't change much for x86 systems, but for x64 it basically means that the program is limited in the amount of memory it can use. By adding or changing a value in the header of the executable, you allow it to use memory that would be otherwise available to the system only (we're talking of a rather large amount, like 2Gb). Many game executables already have that value in the header, because at best it gives better memory management to the game and at worst it does nothing — that's what I gathered from my brief research anyway. Since I applied that to the DA:O executable, I've experienced no crash and some monitoring tool told me that the value of memory used isn't increasing over time to some stupidly large amount like it used to, which is probably the main cause of crashes and performance issues. I even see that it doesn't grow my pagefile to some bloated size like before. Of course in five minutes I may have one same fight crash repeatedly, like that happened some time ago, but so far the game is stable.

If anyone wants to try, you can simply do it with this little utility. It will make a backup of the executable but be careful just in case. That trick also appears to do wonders in other games with memory problems, like New Vegas, though it appears that Steam doesn't like you doing that — best DRM platform in the world! In any event, I thought I'd share since I found very little info about it while looking for a solution to constant crashes and this has helped immensely so far.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Right, I'm finally playing that game and it's actually better than I expected. Not that I expected much to begin with but I'm pleased so far, though I haven't reached the much maligned Deep Roads yet. Found a nice combination of mods to fix bugs (most of which from this thread, I could make a list of what I finally installed if someone wants to since I found more combinations to squash bugs) and the game plays decently so far.

Well, almost decently. The biggest problem with that game is that it crashes during most fights. Not every time, but each fight where spells and other abilities with fancy effects are used is liable to crash. It's especially infuriating during encounters against tough opponents or multiple waves where the game will crash near the end and sing "trololololo!" to mock you further. Ok, it doesn't sing but I can hear it inside my head nonetheless. I looked around and tried the regular tricks like disabling framebuffer effects or adding some parameters while launching the game (the most hilarious one must be to add -dx9 to supposedly run the game in dx9 mode when I'm pretty sure DA:O doesn't support any other renderer) but none made a difference. Disabling affinity to one or more cores seemed to bring stability but it's annoying since you lose a bit of performance. At the end of the day, I'd rather have the game run a bit slower and be stable but I just dislike to disable things.

One nice trick I found though, which is the reason I update this thread because it might benefit others, is that the executable for DA:O isn't large address aware. That doesn't change much for x86 systems, but for x64 it basically means that the program is limited in the amount of memory it can use. By adding or changing a value in the header of the executable, you allow it to use memory that would be otherwise available to the system only (we're talking of a rather large amount, like 2Gb). Many game executables already have that value in the header, because at best it gives better memory management to the game and at worst it does nothing — that's what I gathered from my brief research anyway. Since I applied that to the DA:O executable, I've experienced no crash and some monitoring tool told me that the value of memory used isn't increasing over time to some stupidly large amount like it used to, which is probably the main cause of crashes and performance issues. I even see that it doesn't grow my pagefile to some bloated size like before. Of course in five minutes I may have one same fight crash repeatedly, like that happened some time ago, but so far the game is stable.

If anyone wants to try, you can simply do it with this little utility. It will make a backup of the executable but be careful just in case. That trick also appears to do wonders in other games with memory problems, like New Vegas, though it appears that Steam doesn't like you doing that — best DRM platform in the world! In any event, I thought I'd share since I found very little info about it while looking for a solution to constant crashes and this has helped immensely so far.

I found that casting Mana-clash has a high probability to crash the game. This feature was introduced with the latest patch I think.
As for what you've found out with the memory, it makes sense I suppose. I always wondered how it can be that the game starts to become sluggish after ~30min play-time, a condition which became worse with every minute until it became utterly unplayable. On a rig with 16gb RAM. I always had to restart the game once every hour or so to flush the memory. Would try your solution.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Only one crash since I applied this trick and it let me play several hours in a row, which is a vast improvement over what I had. Before I had to try the same fight 5 times because it would crash repeatedly. This game is the most unstable I've played in years but at least I can stop raging because it dropped me to the desktop.

Gord

Arcane

Yes, it's not as bad as some people here make it appear. Even the Deep Roads are definitely bearable.
However about halfway through I started to get a bit bored by it, as it gets somewhat repetitive eventually.
Still I can appreciate that Bioware actually had some ambition outside of cringeworthy romances and collar grabbing with this one and esp. some quest C&C is implemented pretty well.
But then they released DA2.

It is, in a way similar to ME1.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
It's much more ambitious than ME1. That one had such a small scale despite taking place in a galaxy. I can see the filler in DA:O getting to me later though. Dialogs and characters are somewhat decent too, even if it's a bit static for the most part unlike ME2's. I had to force myself to finish ME1, which bored me for the most part and made me afraid to try the next Bioware games, but I was happily surprised to discover that ME2 was a pretty good action game and that DA is also pretty good in its own genre. I'd have to play DA2 and ME3 to really see it but from what I heard of those games, it would really appear that Bioware managed to rise and then went down again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom