Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Help revive the dungeon crawler! (again) - The Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter is LIVE

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know if Brian even played Skyrim haha.

This is an odd comparison but if there's one set of titles that you can tie it to, it's probably Fireproof Games' The Room 1 and 2 (for mobile devices). If you've played them you'll know what I mean.
Hasn't Fargo been name dropping them in interviews?

The very piece of text that Roguey quoted and suggested was inspired by Skyrim mentioned them. :avatard:

Yes I want a quality big budget dungeon crawler please!

How many hours has passed since the KS campaign started? Will they break new money records?

Don't know what is it with Fargo, the man just makes you want to throw your money at him. Like some magic. Although KS video isn't something, but I have a feeling they have prepared the heavy "guns" for later...

UnknownBro

Savant
Make a good game then I'll buy anything you throw at me. Until then...

God spede.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
150 people pledged for absolution for pirating, ha. Wonder if that letter of pardon from Brian Fargo would hold up in court.

Also, someone needs to post a copy of it so we can all read it ... from a friend of a friend of course.

Not that anyone from the Codex who pirates has ever hesitated to acknowledge it

Last edited:

Pegultagol

Erudite
Pledged, and the free WL2 and Witcher games are nice, but wonder if previous Bard's Tale games won't be part of the reward incentive (they are already available as a collection on GoG). Would've preferred that more, of course not totally unrelated to the fact that I own the included games already. Guess riding that Witcher coattails a bit wouldn't hurt at all.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
First update:

DĂ©jĂ  vu!
Posted by inXile entertainment
1081cef92c5fbc5f291a27b703c0f067_original.jpg

Once again you have come through with a smashing first day. We are just 11 hours into the campaign and have already achieved 50% of Kickstarter goal for the Bard's Tale IV. I must also thank my many industry friends who have supported us through their social media campaigns. This list extends to our so called competition like Obsidian, Larian, Harebrained, Cryptozoic, Otherworld, Portalairum, Razer and so many others. The concept of game companies supporting each other in such a grand scale was unheard of many years ago. Our relationships have grown closer with you and the development community, the way it always should have been. Our 24 hour promotion for free copies of Wasteland 2, or The Witcher, or The Witcher 2 continues on until 6am PST tomorrow morning, so make sure to tell your friends before it runs out. With Wasteland 2, we're happy to have people enjoy the fruits of our first Kickstarter campaign as a company as we hope to keep these going for a long time to come.

Upcoming Game Footage!
We have some great surprises in store for you over the next month, the biggest of which is in engine footage for Bard's Tale IV. We're feverishly working to clean up a few more things, but it will be ready in the very near future. It's over 3 minutes long and should give you a good sense of what the world will feel like. I hope you are as impressed with it as I am, so look for it this week.

Tiers and Add-Ons
Our team is reading all of your comments and direct messages. Please keep them coming! We've seen a large demand for a tier that contains the Premier Collector's Edition as well as the Album style box, along with a few other goodies. For this reason, we added the $230 Tier, where you get both boxes as well as Alpha Access and all kinds of digital goodies. As well, we introduced our first Add-On, an extra digital copy of The Bard's Tale 4. This can be added on to any pledge of $20 or more. The details of which are on the bottom of the Kickstarter page.

Much More to Come!
This is just the beginning. Along with the video, we've got some great concept images and a few other surprises along the way that should please fans, both seasoned and new. We're so glad to have you along for the ride...

The Bard is back!

Brian Fargo

Leader inXile

Stinger

Arcane
The Bard’s Tale IV is spearheaded by the same team that delivered the award-winning Wasteland 2.

Brian Fargo founded Interplay Productions (By Gamers, For Gamers) in 1983 where he went on to produce and finance some of the biggest RPG's made, including Bard's Tale, Neuromancer, Dragon Wars, Fallout 1 and 2, Stonekeep, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and more.

Matthew Findley joined Brian at Interplay shortly after the release of the original Wasteland, inspired by The Bard’s Tale and Wasteland and desiring to make games of that type. He was one of the two project leads on Wasteland 2. Matt has a chainsaw hanging from his ceiling, so you know he's serious.

Chris Keenan was Interplay’s youngest employee in the mid-90s, starting at age 15. He has been with inXile since its early days. Chris was one of the two project leads on Wasteland 2, and is a handsome son of a gun (according to his mother).

Michael “Maxx” Kaufman is an art director with an extensive career in the industry, most notably working for Xatrix/Gray Matter, developing such games as Kingpin: Life of Crime and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. He is the art director on Wasteland 2: Game of the Year Edition and occasionally enjoys adding an extra “x” to words.

Nathan Long was the lead writer on Wasteland 2 and is currently a contributing writer on Torment: Tides of Numenera. Before joining inXile, he worked as a novelist, screen, and TV writer for many years – but all that is just a sideline until his music career takes off.

No Colin McComb?

Seerix

Arbiter
Unreal Engine 4 must have some really good deals for developers if InXile are going with it for this Kickstarter. And it must be pretty easy to work with since they're still not done with Unity's Torment...

Zeriel

Arcane
Unreal Engine 4 must have some really good deals for developers if InXile are going with it for this Kickstarter. And it must be pretty easy to work with since they're still not done with Unity's Torment...

Try it, it's free!

They (Epic) made it free for anyone, you just have to pay them 5% of revenue AFTER the first $3000 every quarter for games that use it.

Professional developers still using Unity can go suck a dick.

Last edited:

Chunkyman

Augur
Backed for $20. The higher tiers weren't particularly appealing, and I haven't played any of the original games in the series. Mostly backing because the price is right, plus I get a free copy of The Witcher (already have Wasteland 2).

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
There's a ton of us then.:D Pledging 20$ because 'what the fuck, why not'.:) InXile has to be doing something right.

Over 700k now in 14 hours. Don't think any records will be broken, but it should fund comfortably.

naossano

Cipher
Sounds like they were inspired by those Skyrim dragon claw puzzles.
I was actually reminded of the Circle of Zerthimon from PS:T, though that was more of a dialog puzzle.
I don't know if Brian even played Skyrim haha.
That should be part of a stretch goal.

But the time needed to play it is superior to the time needed to devellop it...
He won't have time to devellop Bard's Tale.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I like the pitch video. Still great. "Paid mods... it's all the rage!"

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Looks all right but I hope this game will have more love put into it than that clinical Wasteland 2 which was very by the numbers.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
After our little Cleve summoning fest I decided to go check out his 2nd polishing campaign on Idiegogo... As of one month ago, he is still claiming to be working on the game and still threatening to release it. :)

:lol:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Brian namedropped Neuromancer, anyone knows who has the rights for that?
I would like a new game like that.

Nyast

Cipher
So am I right to assume the game will play & feel a bit like Might & Magic X ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom