Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me to play Arcanum

Turok

Erudite
Yea thats right, i never finish the game, i always stop playing after i reach a island where i get incarcelated, my caracter sux, i always try to make a technological guy but i always fail to make a good char and choose a good party.

So tell me, how do you play Arcanum, i mean what kind of caracter you use and why???

Zhirzzh

Scholar
If you can't get through the game, just make a mage and spam Harm. Extremely easy. Worry about playing a tech character once you figure out what you're doing.

Squirly

Educated
But tech characters are the most interesting!

I mean, I can't really talk because I never finished it either (several restarts, installation of mods, crashes and so on) but I got pretty damn far with a human evil genius. He was smart.

Humanophage

Arcane
Focus on charisma and get as many followers as possible. I remember (not particularly fondly) running around with a huge army by the end of the game only wearing a tuxedo.

Andhaira

Arcane
Yeah play a warrior mage with a focus on fire and lightning spells and swinging a greatsword.

Also, get sog mead mugg.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Humanophage said:
Focus on charisma and get as many followers as possible. I remember (not particularly fondly) running around with a huge army by the end of the game only wearing a tuxedo.

This. Charisma + many followers + persuasion skill = best Arcanum experience.
And you'll still get enough experience to max both your charisma+persuasion and one or two combat skills.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
As said above, Arcanum is quite easy with a Mage character who also does a fair bit of whacking with a big sword. Really simple. I've played the game through at least 3 times but never as a technologist, which is a shame I guess. It just looked a LOT more complicated.

Durwyn

Prophet
I've found Arcanum pretty unfinishable if you make pure combat tech character. Especially the black mountain clan mines/stronghold. With gunfighter I couldn't even scratch golems.I had to run away from all enemies straight to the hidden dwarf. Maybe if you spam some explosives it becomes easier. It's a lot easier with magick fighter or mage.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
An early game hint is to try to have at least Charisma 9 when you start the game. There's a very useful NPC in the first town that won't want to join up with you otherwise.

With him, Virgil, my bag of technological tricks and an Elephant Gun, I played through the game...way too many years ago, come to think of it.

Paperclip

Liturgist
Durwyn said:
I've found Arcanum pretty unfinishable if you make pure combat tech character. Especially the black mountain clan mines/stronghold. With gunfighter I couldn't even scratch golems.I had to run away from all enemies straight to the hidden dwarf. Maybe if you spam some explosives it becomes easier. It's a lot easier with magick fighter or mage.

Killing golems with guns is easy if you "exploit" the unbalanced combat system (use real time) and have a lot of ammo.

MetalCraze

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
[...]many followers[...] = best Arcanum experience.
Yes especially when they summon some retarded golems which then proceed to attack you instead of an enemy and when you try to kill those golems your followers heal them.
On my next playthrough I won't take with me anyone but the Dog.

somnium

Scholar
Paperclip said:
Durwyn said:

Killing golems with guns is easy if you "exploit" the unbalanced combat system (use real time) and have a lot of ammo.
that's how I did it as well, but be prepared to sell a arm and leg for ammo early in the game, if you don't have the skill and schematics to make your own. I left for the mines with around 700+ ammo on me (well not me exactly as I let the ogre carry it) and I had barely enough in the end. An alternative "tactic" would be to spam Molotov cocktails in the turnbased mode as they take 0 action points to throw.

Squirly

Educated
Lots of ammo and explosives. That's how I did the mines. At least your gun doesn't deteriorate when you hit a golem unlike my awesome magic sword that I used with my one elf char. That sucked.

sheek

Arbiter
Lots of characters suck because party AI sucks and you can't control them. They'll end up getting themselves killed. So you have to resurrect them so you also have to specialize in magery.

Squirly said:
Lots of ammo and explosives. That's how I did the mines. At least your gun doesn't deteriorate when you hit a golem unlike my awesome magic sword that I used with my one elf char. That sucked.
I ended up killing most of the golems by stabbing them to death with those miniature swords which the imps (kites?) carried. Completely ridiculous and I went through about 20 of those dagger-swords but I was the only party member who could dodge their attacks, and I had Virgil + the woman herbalist heal me up after each fight.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
sheek said:
Lots of characters suck because party AI sucks and you can't control them. They'll end up getting themselves killed. So you have to resurrect them so you also have to specialize in magery.

It's called F5.

Anyway, I did it as a technologist with the shoop and run tactic. Each time a golem appeared, I told my companions to back off (F5) and then started running around shooting things in real time (because that's what RPGs are to us) and trying to avoid hits. Wasted helluva ammo for that, but at least I had the schematics for bullets, and hell, I don't really see another way I could have done that except doing serious random encounter grinding for levels or something.

Faceless

Novice
Max out the following:
Melee
Dodge
Backstab
Prowling
Dexterity
Strength

Set the combat to Fast Turn Based

In combat, start prowling immediately, move behind an enemy, attack and OHKO it.

Erebus

Arcane
I cruised through the game with a mage who had high charisma. Harm, Summon Ogre and plenty of followers will make combat easy.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Can't understand how people have problems with playing a tech character. Really. Mage might be easier (never played as a mage, so I wouldn't know) but if that's the case then it must really be a breeze because I found it very easy as tech too.

You guys must really suck at building your characters and/or using them properly.

Thrasher

Erudite
Mage - spam harm and temporal spells.

Get a bunch of followers.

Super easy.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Well, the game is really straightforward and fun as a mage. No worries at all. I cruised through the whole thing with Virgil, lots of direct damage spells and a big, big sword. :cool:

Thrasher

Erudite
I might add that still some locations were tedious (even if easy).

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Just go for melee, get a pyro axe and you will never encounter any challenge at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom