Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help from ye old schoolers

Andhaira

Arcane
Jasede, you haven't played EOB2?? LoL was inspired by EOB2 and even uses much of the same interface/style. It WAS going to be EPB3 until Westwood lost the rights.

Jasede said:
I can't wait to play Eye of the Beholder 2 for the first time.

Is it worth playing 1 first to import the party?

The two games are very similar UI wise, so there is no reason not to play number 1. It is a great game itself. There is no real advantage to importing your party, unless you want completion.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
No real advantage? Some of the named weapons got transformed to +afew weapons, which were highly useful. (I also liked the first part of the game more than the 2nd, but it could be because I was never able to finish EoB2.)

mondblut

Arcane
Frau Bishop said:
Sounds good and looks good from what I've seen in a quick search. Is drawing maps mandatory to have a good playtime?

No, it has automapping I believe.

Mortmal

Arcane
really worth it to play EOB 1 before, theres no reason to not play it, it was a fantastic game . The only one you could skip is eye of beholder 3, its not that bad either, but it was a disapointment compared to 2 . Next to get is land of lore , wich is still very pretty.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
EoB3 is a disappointment mainly because the combat / puzzle ratio is WAY too high and any form of character advancement is very rare, since you're high level already. And too many areas with quickly respawning enemies. EoB1 is just fantastic for an archetypical AD&D dungeon crawler.

Come on, just look at this:

Eye of the Beholder 1 intro

The same with some gameplay

:tearofoldschooljoy:

Frau Bishop

Erudite
mondblut said:
Terrific!
Oh, and I read you can create 8 characters for your party. Do you have to play with full force or can you set up a group of elite crawlers?
Wonder how this town tax will work out.
I'm so excited, I'm gonna play a new RPG.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Very obscure question, but does the Amiga version support importing characters from EotB 1 to EotB 2? I always prefer the Amiga versions.

Edit: You know, that reminds me, I need to play Black Crypt for the first time, too. And I never tried the Amiga version of Dungeon Master either.

Edit 2: I really wish I still had the A500 I used to own. Beautiful machine. I accidentally formatted it completely as a kid and didn't know how to reinstall the workbench. We threw it away. :(

Edit 3: Wow, I never managed to find a kickstart as quickly as today. Amiga music is the shit.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Jasede said:
Edit 2: I really wish I still had the A500 I used to own. Beautiful machine. I accidentally formatted it completely as a kid and didn't know how to reinstall the workbench. We threw it away. :(
Wut? Why didn't you just boot from disc like anyone else without hdd?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I was a kid. We couldn't figure that out. I'm going to spend ~1000 Euro one of these days to buy an Amiga 500 in pristine condition.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
I bought one some years ago for about 50 Euro, lots of old discs (about 20% still worked) and stuff included. I have to say.. it wasn't the same experience. Fucking around with the OS was annoying and the mouse felt like cursed. Compared to a C64 retro experience it was actually not so great.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Huh. Maybe it was just better in my memory. The Workbench is kinda clunky and the mouse is awful, but the games... the games were so good.

Mainly I'd like to hear all my favorite Amiga games music again the way it was intended to sound like.

And report on your retro C64 experience, I'm curious! I never had a C64.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Ah, don't know what to say. Sitting in front of a C64 after long years of absence just felt great, it smelled right, the keyboard was oldschool-good and the sound of a 1541 drive is like music anyway. No, really.
Kind of revisiting the church you attendend in your childhood, or something like a Erich Honecker exhibition in your case.
Good luck in finding a similar happy place with the A500, probably it just boils down to what we liked when we were young. :)

Gives me the creeps to think about what the gaming youngsters of 2009 have to relate to once they get a midlife crisis.

Micmu

Magister
just felt great, it smelled right, the keyboard was oldschool-good
C64 was kickass, especially the first version, fat rounded one in dark gray color. I laughed at friends with their crappy rubbery ZX spectrums.
I still can't believe I threw mine away years ago. :cry:
sound of a 1541 drive is like music anyway. No, really.
I had a 1541-II drive, holy SHIT was this thing loud! I honestly thought it's punching holes through a floppy.

MetalCraze

Arcane
ZX Spectrums at least didn't have ugly rectangular pixels. Also my ZX Spectrum was custom-built (no rubber keys, but plastic ones, and it was also grey) and it was awesome (and loaded from tape, none of that next-gen diskette bullshit). But it was collecting dust and 10 years ago or so my parents gave it away to my nephew and he broke it :(

mondblut

Arcane
Frau Bishop said:
mondblut said:
Terrific!
Oh, and I read you can create 8 characters for your party. Do you have to play with full force or can you set up a group of elite crawlers?
Wonder how this town tax will work out.
I'm so excited, I'm gonna play a new RPG.

You can play with one character if you want, but the encounters are fairly merciless, and facing does matter, so you'd want several to cover one another's back.

Zomg

Arbiter
Tried to replay LoL recently; it is butt. I had a high opinion of it based on my original play, but in retrospect it got me on high 1993ish production values. It's just an unbelievably annoying game with constant pointless nonsense out of nowhere (the Xeob and the Knowle - what) and weirdo furry Legend-grade fantasy.

Mortmal

Arcane
Jasede said:
Very obscure question, but does the Amiga version support importing characters from EotB 1 to EotB 2? I always prefer the Amiga versions.

Edit: You know, that reminds me, I need to play Black Crypt for the first time, too. And I never tried the Amiga version of Dungeon Master either.

Edit 3: Wow, I never managed to find a kickstart as quickly as today. Amiga music is the shit.

Yes you could export EOB1 character to EOB2 with the amiga version , i used to play it with floppy . I prefer too the amiga version, part sentimental value and part cause it always feel superior to the pc , much more colorful,and superior music and ambients.
Now i am forced to play amiga games on winUAE, i still have my old amiga , its in pristine condition, except the plastic aged, except the drive dont work anymore ... either that or the floppy disks gets unreadable after decades. Btw anyone knows the life span of a floppy disk ?
I wouldnt pay 1000 euros to get another one, wish i knew how to repair that internal drive.
You speak of installing the workbench , did you have an hardrive with your A500 ? those were ultra expensive , well at least in france. I dont remember to have to install anything on amiga.

Mortmal said:
Jasede said:

Yes you could export EOB1 character to EOB2 with the amiga version , i used to play it with floppy . I prefer too the amiga version, part sentimental value and part cause it always feel superior to the pc , much more colorful,and superior music and ambients.
Now i am forced to play amiga games on winUAE, i still have my old amiga , its in pristine condition, except the plastic aged, except the drive dont work anymore ... either that or the floppy disks gets unreadable after decades. Btw anyone knows the life span of a floppy disk ?
I wouldnt pay 1000 euros to get another one, wish i knew how to repair that internal drive.
You speak of installing the workbench , did you have an hardrive with your A500 ? those were ultra expensive , well at least in france. I dont remember to have to install anything on amiga.

Amiga disks are hopeless. They corrupt easily and quickly, so don't write off your floppy drive just yet.

In comparison, every one of my C64 games works! Amiga, I have less than half that load (all stored with anal precision) and of those, I wonder if some of them with have the dreaded "black screen of death" due to corruption later in the game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I think I mainly like Lands of Lore because it looks really, really good. And it does, doesn't it? I don't know a prettier 320x240 game. *graphics whore*

Speaking of C64, I want one too now. That's an era I 100% missed out on. Just look at this stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiul1Xu9wbg

These drums are just perfect.

mondblut

Arcane
Jasede said:
I think I mainly like Lands of Lore because it looks really, really good. And it does, doesn't it? I don't know a prettier 320x240 game. *graphics whore*

Ishar 2 and 3.

And it's 320x200.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn, DOS games looked fucking GORGEOUS. Wonderful art design and hand-painted colourful graphics. Lovely. 99% of modern games can't even remotely reach the love for detail and the diversity those games had back then. Damn, I wish someone would finally make a 2D game again.

Luzur

Good Sir
Jasede said:
I was a kid. We couldn't figure that out. I'm going to spend ~1000 Euro one of these days to buy an Amiga 500 in pristine condition.

heh, i found a fully boxed and 2 spares on the local dump some months ago.

also 3 C64's and a PET computer was "rescued" from there last September.

so i am pretty sure you dotn have to pay 1000 euroes for one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom