Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearts of Iron 2 vs Hearts of Iron 3

choice

• Hearts of Iron 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hearts of Iron 3

• They're about equal

• Neither/Hearts of Iron 1/another game

• Total voters
GarfunkeL said:
graphic intensive

Get a video card from 2007 or later.
Card is from 2007, yes.

Update to 1.3. If that doesn't help, buy a PC with more processing power than your toaster.
Played with 1.3 and it is still ridiculously slow for a RT game which resolves hour-by-hour and which lasts 10+ game years. The fact is fastest setting was needed at times for HoI2 and HoI3 fastest is at most half the speed of that.

worst of all unbalanced.

Oh sorry. I must have missed the point where your WW2 SIMULATOR isn't PvP-balanced! If I'd get a dollar for every retard who complained that SU or USA was OP in HoI, HoI2 or HoI3 I'd be a fucking billionaire.
Have fun with your simulator then, I buy games to play them.

Or do you mean that you get the most bang for buck with pure infantry brigades with nothing else? That's true but only in the dry world of theorycrafting where no other factor except IC-days and soft attack matters. Still, even in RL most armies consisted mostly of INF so... yeah.
If I gave a shit about RL accuracy I wouldn't play a computer game. Anyway your RL accuracy is nonexistent because the game mechanics (combat resolution especially) are fundamentally unrealistic.

So you get off on thinking you are playing a historically accurate, which isn't historically accurate.

Most of all I hate the new tech system.

Can you chew bubblegum, fiddle with your iplayer and walk at the same time? If the answer to that is yes, then the new tech system is not too challenging for you.
If you read a bit further (can parse sentences longer than 10 words at a time), and weren't desperately trying to score 'points', my point is that it is boring.

1/ trying to plan/calculate things exactly is a nightmare

Exactly as intended. One of the biggest complaints about HoI2 techsystem was that it allowed any inbred hick to easily calculate the supreme tech-route. If that wasn't enough, there was even the HoI2 Tech Assistant which calculated it for you! It meant that pretty much every major had a list they went through and in MP you could know what your competition were doing every month.
Predictable because of the fucked AI. My suggestion was that they work on AI instead of making things more difficult for the human player. Instead they listened fanboys like you and put in sucky gameplay as 'revolutionary features'.

2/ unbalanced and easy to exploit.

Install 1.3 Tech-rushing is made even more difficult - it's only slightly possible for majors now. Minors will always be a problem with any system which has to abstract things to an extent - atleast HoI3 has the license system which means that minor country does not have to research AF at all. They can just produce by license the few air units they need.
Minors weren't a problem in HoI2, oops. So that's a step backward.

Also, the diplomacy is fucked.

What the fuck is wrong with you man? Diplomacy is so, so, so much more improved from Hoi2 that it boggles my mind that someone could write something so retarded like that.
Because every country except Bulgaria being able to join the Allies in 1937 is an improvement?

WHAT?! WHAT?! WHAT?! What the fuck is hardcoded into the engine? It's the same old Clausewitz-engine from EU3. Modders have had fucking gymnastics with that engine, bending it everywhere. Plus, like always with Paradox games, 90% of stuff is in the .txt files that the game reads when loading a scenario/save game.
Can your retarded tech system be fixed? Yes/No will do.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
it is still ridiculously slow for a RT game

Well then, I've played from January 1st, 1936 to March 1941 in ~6 hours and I do not consider it slow - and I play on a laptop. You might want to try not running the game at maximum speed when things are slow, because it usually crams the system up - resulting in a situation where "fast" is actually best, instead of "faster" or "fastest" - because the PC can't keep up.

Have fun with your simulator then, I buy games to play them.

Why? I bet solitaire and minesweeper would be enough.

because the game mechanics (combat resolution especially) are fundamentally unrealistic.

Uh-huh. Before we get into that, would you care to explain me how the game mechanics (especially combat resolution) work?

my point is that it is boring.

Then the game isn't for you, it's that simple. I know that Red Alert 3 isn't for me, I'm not playing it, I'm not whining about it anywhere.

Predictable because of the fucked AI. My suggestion was that they work on AI instead of making things more difficult for the human player. Instead they listened fanboys like you and put in sucky gameplay as 'revolutionary features'.

You lost me there - you were apparently replying to my point about the research system and how it's been improved from HoI2 (actually aligning it more like it was in HoI1) but your reply doesn't make any sense in that connection.

Minors weren't a problem in HoI2, oops. So that's a step backward.

Haha. Can I get some of that stuff you are smoking?

Because every country except Bulgaria being able to join the Allies in 1937 is an improvement?

Because you can't neglect diplomacy completely any more, like you could in HoI2 too. Yes, it's an extra layer of game play you have to take into consideration, making the years before war tiny bit more exciting, playing the influence/faction-game. So you didn't influence anyone (except Bulgaria) and found yourself surrounded by Allies? Sucks to be you but it's not the fault of the game.

Can your retarded tech system be fixed? Yes/No will do.

Probably not in the way you would want it, though you are free to try - as I previously wrote, pretty much the whole game is moddable. I already changed my hg brigades to be paradroppable so I can make Soviet-style corps level paradrops and that took literally 5 mins.

Ninja-edit:
So the answer to you would be no - you cannot remove the brigade system and you cannot bring back tech teams. What you could do is lock down the diplomacy so you'd only have events happening and you could also dumbdown streamline the techs like they were in HoI2. But you'd still have 3D-map (which you can edit), the general hierarchy system (which is awesome and has been wanted from HoI1) and various other "retarded steps backwards".

MetalCraze

Arcane
WW2 simulator...

Somehow I think you don't control whole countries in militaristic campaigns just by tweaking a very small bunch of sliders.

Garfunkel, sheek's arguments may be stupid but that was silly. Other than that carry on.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Hobbit Lord of Mordor said:
Played with 1.3 and it is still ridiculously slow for a RT game which resolves hour-by-hour and which lasts 10+ game years. The fact is fastest setting was needed at times for HoI2 and HoI3 fastest is at most half the speed of that.

I played Armageddon for a year. Why would you like to finish the game unnecessary fast?

MetalCraze

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
Simulator may be wrong term but what else would I call a game which is the opposite of arcade?

WW2 Grand Strategy sounds p. epic

(though Victoria is much closer to a country sim)

Reject_666_6

Arcane
So, does the Codex want to set up a weekly HoI2/3 game?

It will probably be more stimulating than the weekly Risk game that used to be held.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
You know you'll get annexed by event before the war even starts if you play those countries, right? In terms of European minors, only Hungary, Romania and Finland (and Poland, but just barely) are playable.

Erzherzog

Magister
Reject_666_6 said:
You know you'll get annexed by event before the war even starts if you play those countries, right? In terms of European minors, only Hungary, Romania and Finland (and Poland, but just barely) are playable.

That's the joke actually, I'm saying I'm not good enough to truly participate!

Jokes aside, I really probably should play a minor if I do play.

That or Italy.

Which is essentially a minor anyways. :o

After buying every PI game bar Rome on day one, I thought I would leave the beta testing up to others this time and have a break. Keep up the good work and I will be sure to buy the complete/Gold/Platinum edition that includes all future updates and expansions/patches.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
GarfunkeL said:
Can't join - fucking uni firewall prevents everything :(

Just need to learn the magic of proxy forwarding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom