Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Stuff that will see regular-ish play: Moonglade Portal, Menagerie Warden, Enchanted Owl, Kindly Grandmother, Fool's Bane, Curator (Druid/Pally).

Stuff that will see some niche play: Hunter secret shit, Medivh's Valet, Ivory Knight, Nightbane Templar (arguably no better than the 3/5 card from BRM), Deadly Fork, Swashburgler, Spirit Claws, Ironforge Portal, Medivh, Barnes, Bookwyrm, Arcane Giant, Violet Illusionist, Netherspite Historian.

Stuff that will probably never see consistent play beyond a month experimentation: Everything else.

Although I'm being generous on some of those niche cards.

I think Moat Lurker might see a lot of play. Hard removal + a minion on the board seems pretty powerful on paper, anyway.
Or for five mana you could play BGH that kills most things you'd want to use hard removal on with maybe a handful of exceptions and get a 4/2 minion... that doesn't bring the opponent's minion back when it dies! And if your opponent only has one minion on the board then it's worse than Tinkmaster Overspark.

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
Stuff that won't see play in constructed or Arena: Priest.

Silence your own minion for 2 mana and draw a card? Might be the worst card I've ever seen.

Blizzard is run by retards. What the fuck are they doing?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Menagerie Warden and that free hunter secrets thing... thx Blizzard, I can safely continue staying away from the game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That Hunter 3/4 free secrets is not even that good. Only place you'll probably see it is in Yogg Hunters. It's Mysterious Challenger where you have to wait to draw the secrets into your hand. Or you try to mulligan for them and risk losing the early game if you don't draw the card plus a few secrets before turn three.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Blizzard have really outdone themselves on this one. This might the worst release ever, worse than TGT. I think it's save to say Beast druid will be a thing now, that's the only impact on meta that is obvious, Menagerie Warden is really good. Discardlock is probably too inconsistent to see regular play. Yogg Hunter might be more popular. Priest lmao. Barnes is the only card that has some potential to change the meta on its own imo, but I'm not holding my breath.

Cards that I think will be played competitively: Enchanted Raven, Menagerie Warden, Kindly Grandmother, Cloaked Huntress, Cat Trick, Barnes, Medivh
Borderline: Arcane Anomaly, Arcane Giant, The Curator, Fool's Bane

Looks to me like Hunter is the big winner of this expansion. Shame lot of the playable cards are only a little bit better than what is played currently (Kindly Grandmother, Cat Trick).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Nope, it's a 3 mana 3/4 (premium stats) with the potential to give you at least 2 free extra mana worth of value. It's not Mysterious Cancer-level retardation, but still too stupid and will probably develop its own cancer around it.

If not, Menagerie Warden is something I definitely don't want to face, especially when there's already Call of the Retard.

Sorry huntard, enjoy playing against other huntards all day.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Nope, it's a 3 mana 3/4 (premium stats) with the potential to give you at least 2 free extra mana worth of value. It's not Mysterious Cancer-level retardation, but still too stupid and will probably develop its own cancer around it.

If not, Menagerie Warden is something I definitely don't want to face, especially when there's already Call of the Retard.

Sorry huntard, enjoy playing against other huntards all day.

Metro is right, the only deck this really fits is Yogg&Load. It's a strong card but it doesn't DRAW the secrets which is the crucial point of broken secret BS like Challenger and Scientist. Hunter secrets are usually meh when drawn und played in a fair way. The worst you could experience in a normal Hunter deck is this thing putting a Freezing Trap into play. Compare it to Kirin Tor Mage, which is a good card but doesn't see play.

I'm not afraid of Secret Hunter.

I'm afraid of another 6 months of Aggro Shaman and Dragon Warrior tbh.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's pretty inexcusable when a half a dozen developers making six figure salaries all sit around a table and think a card like Purify should be created. IMO, reason they didn't give Priests any good new 2 or 3 drops is because they want to push people to still buy BRM because Dragon Priest is the only archetype remotely worth playing because you have decent early minions. Not only did LoE push a new mechanic (discover) but the cards were of a higher quality across the board. The only thing Kara is doing is trying to revive secrets and for whatever reason push a beast/dragon/murloc thing. The latter smacks of laziness. It's like they needed some kind of gimmick to make the adventure seem worthwhile and that's the best they could come up with in the thirty minutes they obviously put into designing this travesty.

Never mind the ancillary stuff of making mages even more powerful in Arena. On top of Firelands Portal you have a COMMON 2 mana 2/3 that has a Fire Elemental battlecry if you manage to have a secret. If you can stumble on Ice Block or something that will almost never proc you're golden. You'll probably be offered at least one of those cards if not two every mage draft since it's common and new. Meanwhile Babbling Book is rare. Why?

Grubba

Arcane

Metro is right, the only deck this really fits is Yogg&Load..

Not really...it fucks with King's Elekk effect. So maybe once that rotates out, but of course L&L will be rotating out as well (as are quite a few other cards) so it'll be a completely different style of Yogg hunter. Moar secrets, moar minions. I do think it's a good card though, a turn 2 or 3 3/4 and a free explosive trap or snipe seems like win.

Anyone else feel like this expansion is Blizzard's attempt to appeal to more females? The dance party theme, the "Disney" feel of some of the cards, the fucking logo itself. It's a cunt hair away from Hearthstone: Star Stable edition.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Are freeze mages popular again? I've seen 3 in the past two days and literally none in the months prior.

Grubba

Arcane
Looking at the shitstorm on reddit and other places, it reminds me of the time right before LoE came out. People were raging about the Warsong Commander nerf and how TGT was subpar and also how shaman was shit tier. Then LoE dropped and people shut up for the most part. This time Blizzard doesn't have new content to release that will silence the angry mob, in fact it's the new content itself that's the problem. The next set won't be out until Xmas/New Years time.

Team 5 is gonna have a bad case of the Mondays. Watch them go dig themselves into an even bigger hole

sser

Arcane
Developer
A lot of the cards seem okay to me. Stuff like Barnes could have a huge impact and the Druid beast-duplicate thing seems like it could be OP. Most of the butthurt seems to come from the useless "Purify" card and making the mage spell a common. The Purify card seriously is a headscratcher.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It really doesn't matter. The vast millions the game is reaping is coming from mostly casual players who don't go to forums or reddit or even give a shit how good the cards are in a given set. The see the funny disco theme of Kharazan and laugh and plunk down their money because $20 here and $50 there isn't a whole lot.
A lot of the cards seem okay to me. Stuff like Barnes could have a huge impact and the Druid beast-duplicate thing seems like it could be OP. Most of the butthurt seems to come from the useless "Purify" card and making the mage spell a common. The Purify card seriously is a headscratcher.
I think you're overstating it a bit. Barnes will see play but I don't see any of these legendaries being as widely used as the LoE ones. Honestly most of them are Rafaam level. Okay, maybe slightly better like Finley level. And most of the neutral cards in the set are straight up garbage.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The thing with Barnes is that his cost matches his body -- so you basically get a free shot at dragging something pretty powerful onto the board.

And yeah Blizzard is making oodles of cash off Hearthstone. They're not going anywhere and could probably care less how their rabid fanbase is going crazy.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's not a bad card. And something I expect from an expansion legendary: cool effect but not something that's auto-include. I'm sure they learned their lesson with Loatheb. Set is mind boggling underwhelming as a whole. I can't comprehend how they have around ten developers on card design working (what I assume) is at least forty hours a week for a couple of months and this is what they came up with after all that? I can't even imagine what their 'work day' entails. Probably half of it is spent goofing off.

GrainWetski

Arcane
They made Purify for the class that is worst in both arena and constructed. They also have filler cards in a 45 card adventure.

I imagine a lot of drugs are involved.

v1rus

Arcane
I imagine a lot of drugs are involved.

On the contrary, I imagine no drugs are involved. If there were drugs, we'd see ton of "wtf is this card even doing?" shit, which would be infinitely better than this "we already have better cards that to do same thing".

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
its out now apparently.
not exactly rushing to buy it.. weekly release bullshit.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Have plenty of gold (5k) but I keep looking at this set and see maybe six to ten playable cards. When an adventure is shit the 'value' is absolutely terrible. You'd get way more playable cards with 28 packs of a new expansion. Out of the eleven cards (excluding the free ones from the prologue) in this first wing I only Deadly Fork and Ivory Knight seem semi-viable. Cloaked Huntress is only good for shitty Yogg Hunter. People forget if mass secrets start to be a thing again that Whispers introduced Eater of Secrets. These other cards will never see play... Arcanosmith? Silverware Golem? Maelstrom Portal? Garbage.

Granted the first wing of LoE had maybe three or so playable cards but you knew they were good just looking at them: Dark Peddler, Jeweled Scarab, and Reno. Second wing of LoE has seven or eight cards that are widely played in constructed (Brann, Trogg, Eth Conjurer, Excavated Evil, Fierce Monkey, Keeper of Uldaman, etc. etc.).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom