Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How is it a tempo loss when you end up with the same amount of cards in hand and one more resource to spend on 'real' cards? I guess cause it needs 3 fortune, but even so.

I assume that we are not debating the relative strengths of the cards, right? +1 mana with a cantrip would be auto-include in MtG, that much is a given, and the card is hardly played at the top-end in Duel of Champions.

The reason for that is the 3 fortune and the tempo. The tempo comes from the fact that Campfire "sort of eats a card" in the way that while you're competing for battlefield control with your opponent, which is the crucial beginning point of any Duels match, Campfire does nothing. Later when you build up to 3 fortune, you might have lost control of the game because you have a Campfire where there could be an awesome creature. Drawing that awesome creature with Campfire now won't help you since now your opponent will have 3/1 rows locked down to his advantage, meaning playing one will play right into him.

Campfire is a good card in control decks that are meant to manage the fact that they're greedy. Overall they aren't played at all though. That speaks volumes about how tempo-focused Duel of Champions is compared to some other choice TCGs.

Emily

Arcane
I dont understand, what does it matter if you first play an awesome creature
or just play campfire and then just summon that awesome creature on the same turn
I literally cannot understand how can the 2nd option be worse. You just end up with more mana to play with and same result

AMG

Arbiter
I like the base mechanics of MMDoC a lot, too bad the game has barely any support and shittiest ecenomy model on planet. Few balance tweaks or a bit more cards + fixing economy + adding draft and it would shit all over Hearthstone. But with Blizztards hype and support behind HS it will probably soon kill all those cheap MTG knockoffs.

Bratislav because if you play creature deck you will be leveling might first, so campfire is a dead draw until you get 3 fortune

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I dont understand, what does it matter if you first play an awesome creature
or just play campfire and then just summon that awesome creature on the same turn
I literally cannot understand how can the 2nd option be worse. You just end up with more mana to play with and same result

You can't if you've leveled fortune while your opponent has been pumping out Might-awesomeness :roll:

Pretty basic stuff.

Emily

Arcane
You can't if you've leveled fortune while your opponent has been pumping out Might-awesomeness :roll:

Pretty basic stuff.
well ok, but fortune has other useful things.. But i kinda understand your point, you want those creatures nice and early.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
you want those creatures nice and early.

Basically, yeah. Any deck must struggle to keep the board managable or lose quickly in Duel of the Champions. If you get to late, there are often better draw spells to take the slot, like that one that draws you three and doesn't require fortune. So, yeah.

Emily

Arcane
So i started playing Duel of Champions 3 days ago. I am now on 700 elo. And yeah i totally understand your argument you are 100% right campfire is useless.
At what point(elo) will the game become very competitive making grinding a necessity ?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So i started playing Duel of Champions 3 days ago. I am now on 700 elo. And yeah i totally understand your argument you are 100% right campfire is useless.
At what point(elo) will the game become very competitive making grinding a necessity ?

Hasn't done so for me yet in duels, but in Tournaments it started pretty quickly.

Disgruntled

Savant
I started DoC recently as well. Loving it but am now running into the well documented problem. Im missing key cards to make a competitive deck and have no guarantee of acquiring them even if i spend a good amount of cash. Got a serena deck with good darkness spells but havent landed any board wipes or 'meta' creatures.

I need those 3 boardwide dmg nature cards and the 2 poison on deployment spiders to have any chance against the higher elos. Then theres the epics....

So yea, not going to be as active in that game until they implement a good mechanic for acquiring specific cards (which is apparently on the way soon)

On the list for Hearthstone, no invite. Shame about those closed beta marketing tactics .

Emily

Arcane
I can see what were they thinking though. Since you have 6 factions, necro,stronghold,haven,sant,inferno and neutral. The more you open packs the more card you will have. Good? Well the problem is you wont get specific faction type.
So i am thinking it was meant to be played reactively. Meaning after a while you switch factions if you have good cards for them.

Emily

Arcane
Btw anyone that needs more friends for the achievement. Add me Hit-the-floor ingame name

Disgruntled

Savant
Well that hasnt really worked out for me. I have enough for another deck or two but they are missing their own necessary cards. The randomness and strength of certain cards, especially epics, is a bit counterproductive to their expensive monetary system. I know Id have paid $10-20 by now to get decent plays if there was some kind of guarantee or fallback system.
Instead its a ton of euros for seals which could land you a bunch of surplus thats almost worthless in the infernal pit. That hesitates me back to ftp grinding and/or waiting for a solution.

Ive also read the forums and a lot of people including veterans are still looking for stuff because they had bad luck with the rng.

*also i play Ariana, not Serena..thats from a different tcg*

In my experience, right above 1000 (which is where I was when I dropped off). Game has too few cards, they are mostly really basic, and I don't know if that will ever change. Outside of stall decks it's mostly creatures ftw. It wore out quickly because you can't mix and match towns and each towns identity is kinda boring. Also undead for some reason got almost all the goodies.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I just beat TotalBiscuit (or at least someone named that) in an arena match, putting me at 8-2 for that arena deck.

If it was him, he will likely post it tomorrow since it was a close match.
Did he?

J1M

Arcane
Zed

Nope, I checked a few times. He is certainly using the same user name as the person I played. I'm guessing that he opted not to post his rogue arena run.

In our game, he blew most of his cards early and I spent most of the match at 6 health. I was playing a control-heavy mage deck and managed to keep him locked down for quite a few turns. If he made the same mistakes in all of his arena games with the generally accepted strongest character, I could see him being too embarassed to post it.

Zeriel

Arcane
The worst thing about MMDOC is that once you reach a certain rating, every game is basically the exact same 2-3 decks. It's either OTK or Dhamiria stall, or some minor variant on the two. Pretty boring, and that's without mentioning what you guys were already talking about, the horrific "whoops, I don't have the particular card I need to be competitive, time to grind games for 6 months and still not get it, because packs are random". It's hard to level this as a criticism at the game, though, that's just what TCGs are.

J1M

Arcane
Doesn't have to be. I'd be happy to pay a flat rate of, say, $5 a month for a good TCG. That would come with the understanding that it would be quite reasonable to collect all of the cards from that 'season' in the allotted time frame as well as a weekly bounty of tickets/boosters/currency to spur people to be online together the way that raid reset night did.

Zeriel

Arcane
To be honest, all these "online TCGs" that call themselves TCGs seem to be pretty silly insofar as they are mostly good games, but definitely don't live up to the moniker. It's not much of a trading card game if you can't trade cards, after all.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Doesn't have to be. I'd be happy to pay a flat rate of, say, $5 a month for a good TCG. That would come with the understanding that it would be quite reasonable to collect all of the cards from that 'season' in the allotted time frame as well as a weekly bounty of tickets/boosters/currency to spur people to be online together the way that raid reset night did.

I seriously don't understand why this isn't a thing. I, too, would be willing to pay a monthly fee for a good TCG and have access to the whole cardpool/unlimited drafts. I play to play, not for the "gather cards" aspects.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I seriously don't understand why this isn't a thing. I, too, would be willing to pay a monthly fee for a good TCG and have access to the whole cardpool/unlimited drafts. I play to play, not for the "gather cards" aspects.
Probably for the same reason subscription based mmos are no longer popular.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I dunno, we never had a subscription based TCG, and people play MTGO which costs a million bucks.

Zeriel

Arcane
It's more profitable to disallow trading and require you to buy packs, yeah.

So modern-day online TCGs are even more jewish than the original card-games which were arguably built from the ground up purely to sell packs. Impressive, really.

Disgruntled

Savant
The best online tcg ive played is still Shadow Era. The card acquisition there has been extremely fair. It has 2 currencies, store crystals and gold. Crystals are reasonably cheap in ratio to packs, and can be earned by leveling up. Gold is earned every match.
Every single card is sold for gold in the shop. Every card you get from a pack can be sold for half that amount in gold back to the shop.
The only expensive cards have been 2 legendaries with niche roles and even they can be grinded towards within a couple of weeks.

Funnily enough this has me opening my wallet and ive spent at least $50 over the last year or so.:takemymoney:
Unlike DuO whose monetary system only serves to intimidate me and keep that wallet shut.:keepmymoney:

Only negative thing about Shadow Era is the fact that they take a while to get expansions out. Id recommend the game to anyone.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I tried Shadow Era a while ago. Took like 15 minutes to find a game (multiple times the game started and the other guy conceded instantly for no apparent reason) and then the actual game consisted of half an hour of me doing basically nothing while waiting for my deck to give me a fucking weapon. Of course, my reward for nearly an hour of play time was a pittance that couldn't buy fuck all. Though even if it could, the gameplay seems too straightforward to be interesting, especially for such long games.

Also, there are CCG's where you pay a monthly fee for the current season of cards. Penny Arcade plugged them a few days ago, lemme see if I can dig up the link...

Here we go: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm_sec.asp?eidm=14&esem=1

Pity it's not an online thing. Though maybe that will change if it catches on.

Disgruntled

Savant
Shame you had that experience. Could have been the population going stale again for lack of updates. It can get quite fun with the right decks but I cant undo a bad first impression.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom