Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has an RPG ever offered more xp for doing things faster?

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Seems like a cheap but sensible way to add realism, a sense of urgency while discouraging grinding.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The closest that comes to mind are some jrpgs which offer xp bonuses based on certain criteria. Finishing the battle quickly is often one of those criteria.

All the crpgs I can think of only give you bonus xp for doing shit that's out of your way.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Not bonus XP, but Wiz7 encouraged you to do things quickly: if you need a plot item and you don't get it fast enough, another party of adventurers will get there first and when you go after the item you won't find it. Then you'll have to track down that party and convince them, do a favor for them or kill them to get the item.

Salus

Novice
Fable II did have a bonus experience modifier after fights, but I'm not sure if it was based off time, amount of damage received, amount of damage dealt, or simply a combination of the above. Of course since the game descended into grinding at times you could view them as either having failed because you had to grind, or a success as it made grinding take less time.

Salus said:
Fable II did have a bonus experience modifier after fights, but I'm not sure if it was based off time, amount of damage received, amount of damage dealt, or simply a combination of the above. Of course since the game descended into grinding at times you could view them as either having failed because you had to grind, or a success as it made grinding take less time.

How much you varied your attacks, how much damage they did, whether or not you took advantage of weaknesses, and time it took you to do it.

Generally you didn't want to get hit at all, because like in Fable it pretty much destroyed all flow in the battle and you lost a *lot* of bonuses.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
I'M SORRY. I'M SO SO SORRY.
Barrow_Bug said:
racofer said:
bunglebrot.gif

Salus

Novice
Strangely mesmerizing bear aside, I'm simply can only see two ways that this could really be implemented simply from a perspective of time taken.

A. You would have a time limit that would countdown, basically you have x amount of seconds to kill the enemies and get your bonus.

B. The longer you take the less experience you will receive, which makes sense but would result in players trying to finish a fight as fast as possible and perhaps taking risks they normally would have. Which may or may not result in player death.

Of course this would only work in my opinion with a more fantasy RPG, or at least one fixated more on melee combat. Given the move toward putting cover in more and more games a punishment for playing intelligently seems counter intuitive.

denizsi

Arcane
Didn't X-Com series have this, or am I imagining things again? Number of turns it took you to complete a mission... was a factor... in... some game.

catfood

AGAIN
denizsi said:
Didn't X-Com series have this, or am I imagining things again? Number of turns it took you to complete a mission... was a factor... in... some game.

Panzer General had this. You basically had 3 choices like: complete the scenario in 12 turns SUPER AWESUM UBERMENSCH way, complete it in 14 days the OK way, or in 16 days the LOSER way. Or something along those lines, it's been a long time since I've played it.

mondblut

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Yes bonus XP, but Wiz7 encouraged you to do things quickly: if you need a plot item and you don't get it fast enough, another party of adventurers will get there first

Fixed. You do get 10k xp for finding each *map* pristine at its place.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
mondblut said:
Sceptic said:
Yes bonus XP, but Wiz7 encouraged you to do things quickly: if you need a plot item and you don't get it fast enough, another party of adventurers will get there first

Fixed. You do get 10k xp for finding each *map* pristine at its place.
Didn't remember there was bonus XP as well. Thanks for the fix.

deuxhero

Arcane
Fire Emblem 9 and 10 gave you bonus experience that you can give to any unit for completing levels quick (which is helpful for the weak units with great potential in 9, or in 10 it is easily abused with units that hit caps early as it always gives 3 stats ups). 6 also gives you bonus levels needed to unlock the real ending and 4, 5, 6 and 7 also give you a rating that one of the factors is speed.). They fall under sRPGs though.

analt

Scholar
Salus said:
Of course this would only work in my opinion with a more fantasy RPG, or at least one fixated more on melee combat. Given the move toward putting cover in more and more games a punishment for playing intelligently seems counter intuitive.

And yet it seems near-universal, enough that I had to try to think of a term for it. Let's call it ''conservation of content.'' There's only so much content in a game, and if you don't do the dumb thing that the developers plan for you to do, you miss out. This particularly applies to getting betrayed, walking into ambushes, etc., the sterling example being Baldur's Gate II. I can remember at least two traitors that I never would have trusted in in real life, but I let them backstab me because I knew the ''reward'' for using common sense would be to miss out on content.

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
Well at one point in Icewind Dale 2 you had to save the bridge before it got destroyed, and if you did you got loads of bonus XP(the only actual effect of doing it). Also there was the infamous "don't kill the bitch in 2 minutes and lose the game" in that time-loop dungeon thing.

Black Cat

Magister
It's an strategy role playing game, but Soul Nomad and the World Eaters did something like this with the rank and the rewards for completing a level, though i don't remember if it included experience or just some of the other two dozen or so things you had to keep track of to make your units stronger. Also, all inspection battles have a time limit and a main mission objective to survive until the end against a huge number of pretty strong enemy parties, and one of those parties is much more powerful than the other and, probably, than yours, and is considered a boss party that, while not necesary to continue, if you defeat before the time limit is up obviously gives pretty massive experience, and i don't really remember if it also gives you extra room points (which more or less work also as a secondary experience type) or made you eligible to faster or better room bonus rewards, or both, or something. Geez, my memory's acting up again but you get the point.

Murk

Arcane
for some reason i remember bg1's fetch quest for Hull's sword in candle-keep. I want to say that if you took a little too long that his dialog changes but i can't remember if there was any other tangible change in it...

...suikoden 2, jrpg, had a peculiar chain of events that take place on a time limit and was hard as shit to achieve - so hard that i never bothered. involved finding someone and meeting up with her at the right time/place... hell it even had a precursor in the first game if you take Clive to the cemetary in the desert town in the beginning (can't remember the name of the town).

Phelot

Arcane
Mikayel said:
for some reason i remember bg1's fetch quest for Hull's sword in candle-keep. I want to say that if you took a little too long that his dialog changes but i can't remember if there was any other tangible change in it...

I'm pretty confident that his response was based solely on charisma with a high enough charisma giving you the better reward. I remember starting a character and then immediately doing that quest to see if it was based on time and it doesn't seem to be. I think you need like 15+ charisma.

As far as I remember, it was the only charisma check in the entire game...

Topher

Cipher
You need 18+ charism for the reward, it's not time based. There are a few other charisma checks and I think they all require 18+... go figure.

Kraszu

Prophet
Kaanyrvhok said:
Seems like a cheap but sensible way to add realism, a sense of urgency while discouraging grinding.

To do that you need to make non static world like in Space rangers. In game with static world you could just finish the quest, and then grind.

deuxhero

Arcane
Black Cat said:
It's an strategy role playing game, but Soul Nomad and the World Eaters did something like this with the rank and the rewards for completing a level, though i don't remember if it included experience or just some of the other two dozen or so things you had to keep track of to make your units stronger.

I don't recall Soul Nomad giving extra XP for fast completetion in normal maps (In inspections it did give you extra XPish stuff in the inspections that could boost some stats that normally don't go up with level though).

Disgaea does give a boost to your bonus gage for speed (though made irrelevant by FAR through the effects insane combos have on the bonus gage), but it is mostly extra items, HL and XP are only some of the possible items.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I don't think Disgaea bonuses are based on speed, either, but rather on combos and managing the geothings and whatnot.

Even if they were, taking less turns in a TB game is more akin to specific bonuses like taking less damage, killing more enemies, or dying less, etc, rather than rewarding the player in an RPG for giving quests the urgency they need.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom