Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Harvest Moon

Of the Snes, Game Boy, GBA, N64 and PSX Harvest Moons, which is/are the best?

larpingdude18

Educated
most HM fans agree that Friends of Mineral Town (GBA) is the epitome of the series. it's a remake of the ps1 version with some new stuff.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I prefer the SNES version, personally. I mean, if you want more shit to do then you go right ahead and pick one of the other games but if you just want to grow some turnips and fuck a girl then the SNES version is all you need really.

Lightknight

Liturgist
SNES and GB ones have greenhouses where time stops. That is the only thing missing from FOMT.

But in general Rune Factory 2+ will wipe the floor with any Harvest Moon, so why bother ?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I never got into the Rune Factory games. I don't need monster killing or amnesiac heroics in my Neil Young's 1992 album.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've only played the SNES and N64 versions, but I really liked the N64 version. For some reason I could play the shit out of that game.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Andyman Messiah said:
I never got into the Rune Factory games. I don't need monster killing or amnesiac heroics in my Neil Young's 1992 album.
Neil who ? Never heard of him. Looks like some old redneck on the wiki picture.

Farming crops is fine, but i'd rather fight monsters than brush those fucking cows. Those cows... :x
Also Mamiko Noto.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
I think the SNES one is the best, but I'll admit that's probably just because I played it first. I'd say the Back to Nature the better game, overall. I've never tried Friends of Mineral Town.

Lightknight said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Neil who ? Never heard of him. Looks like some old redneck on the wiki picture.

Kids these days...

But in general Rune Factory 2+ will wipe the floor with any Harvest Moon, so why bother ?

I only played the first Rune Factory, are the others actually better games? I didn't much care for the first one.

Topher

Cipher
I've playing Rune Factory right now and it's decent but too simplistic, maybe that's just how HM games are?

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Topher said:
I've playing Rune Factory right now and it's decent but too simplistic, maybe that's just how HM games are?

My beef with the first Rune Factory was also that it was too simplistic. Harvest Moon games are simple, but the farm management is oddly satisfying. Rune Factory, to me, was just adding crappy and primitive action-RPG gameplay to the formula and I wasn't feeling it.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Kids these days...
Hell, i dont have to conform to USian tastes, you people are weirdos, you think Elvis was a halfgod and that baseball is a good game.

I only played the first Rune Factory, are the others actually better games?
Yes. The exact amount of "better" is left for you to decide. The first one i never got even halfway through.

Xor said:
I've only played the SNES and N64 versions, but I really liked the N64 version. For some reason I could play the shit out of that game.

This. I've also played the PS1, Gamecube and PS2 versions...

...but the N64 one is still the pinnacle for me for some reason.

Deleted member 11480

This thread is a potential target for
ivan.jpg

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I'm curious too because I only played the SNES. Anyway if people prefer the other versions, what are the reasons for it? Is it the features (too much or too many), how they play together, the possibility of various strategies, or the presence of random events?

I remember that the SNES version has a problem where a barn full of cows would slow the game, or maybe that was related to ZSNES (I use bsnes now).

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I played most of the Harvest Moon games (NDS, PS3 and Wii not included) and by far the best one was the SNES one. It was simple, fun and entertaning. The newer ones were more of macro and shit like that.

Clockwork Knight said:
edit 2: Found a comparison of Back to Nature and HM64.

http://www.hmfarm.com/page.php?file=64vsbtn

Not sure how much I agree with this. It seems to say that BtN's versions of the characters were deeper, but...

Karen for instance. In the N64 version her family's a wreck when you get there. The mother is totally beat down and and just seems to coast through the day. The father is typically grumpy, short with you, and gets confused if you take the time to help out with something. Karen holds almost everything in contempt.

The more you visit them, give them the odd gift and help around, the more you watch them grow out of their funk and become a decent family again. There's a sense of accomplishment when you notice Karen's mother has taken to smiling again, and bustles around. That the father takes pride in his work, or that Karen isn't two seconds from running away.

It's just as interesting to watch the family self-destruct if you decided at the beginning to ignore their situation and let matters take their course. And over the next couple months, they most definitely do fall apart.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I was going to say how thoroughly lame that sounds Genma, but then I read the last line. Does the dad axe-murder his family before hanging himself? Or is there at least adultery and tasteful rape?

Turisas said:
I was going to say how thoroughly lame that sounds Genma, but then I read the last line. Does the dad axe-murder his family before hanging himself? Or is there at least adultery and tasteful rape?

Nah, the father finally flips out from stress and he and Karen have at it (big argument). Karen leaves town and doesn't show up again till years down the line well after most players have gotten married and had their own kids. Mother turns into a drone and the dad...well, talking to him is unpleasant. I think he starts visiting the bar more often. Can't remember as I haven't replayed it in years.

And it's a game where you're farming and maybe getting laid by a piece of computer code shaped like a big eyed girl. What do you expect in a game like this? Something comparable to Torment?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of all the Harvest Moon games only FoMT was really excellent and made me play it for hundreds of hours. All other (older and newer) bored me after not longer than 20 hours.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
And it's a game where you're farming and maybe getting laid by a piece of computer code shaped like a big eyed girl. What do you expect in a game like this? Something comparable to Torment?

A grimdark farming game could be pretty sweet tho.

Turisas said:
Genma:TheDestroyer said:

A grimdark farming game could be pretty sweet tho.

Yeah, I guess. Trying to raise your social standing within the close-knit village, and stymied by rivals on all sides. The Harvest Goddess (or what you think is her) mentions that with the right fertilizer your crop yields would grow in both quality and quantity. Thus the game begins to slowly weed out your competition and put them to better use, while staying under the radar of the other townsfolk.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
The later HM games have sprites/gnomes/whatever as helpers, don't they? That always sounded like a good opportunity to invest in tiny little shackles to get those lazy buggers working around the clock. Manual labor isn't fit for a :obviously: plantation owner, better have the slaves do it for you.

Provided Gnomes don't have enough magic to get out of them, of course.

I suppose if you made the shackles out of Cold Iron it could work. Expand a smithing option to go along with the mining that's already in there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom