Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Harebrained Schemes General Discussion Thread

Will HBS stay on the path of the incline?

• Yes, it will always stay on the right side

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • For some time yes, then it will inevitably fall

Votes: 45 16.8%
  • It already started becoming a decline

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • It is alrady a decline

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • It was never an incline to begin with.

Votes: 69 25.7%
  • How the fuck could I know?

Votes: 47 17.5%
  • kingcomrade in order to make well thought answers meaningles

Votes: 18 6.7%

• Total voters

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
:shittydog:I have sent a letter to Harebrained, threatening their puny realities and stuff with like horrible sci-fi dangers if they don't make a new game soon.

Last edited:

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
:shittydog:I have sent a letter to Harebrained, threatening their puny realities and stuff with like horrible sci-fi dangers if they don't make a new game soon.
Good news, Lamplighters League is out in a few days.

Like the idea of it, very concerned that they have Woke it up badly since they started tilting heavily towards that direction with Battletech where I don't think a single white man existed in the future. Like an isometric version of Cottonfield™ basically. It is very obvious that white men simply are not going to make it into the future and on our current timeline, there is maybe some truth to that sadly.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Like the idea of it, very concerned that they have Woke it up badly since they started tilting heavily towards that direction with Battletech where I don't think a single white man existed in the future. Like an isometric version of Cottonfield™ basically. It is very obvious that white men simply are not going to make it into the future and on our current timeline, there is maybe some truth to that sadly.

So far it seems the biggest issue with it is that making Commandos meets XCOM results in a half-baked game that's not as good as either, which was a likely outcome. They probably should have downscoped to something like Phantom Doctrine Without the Flaws.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Good news, Lamplighters League is out in a few days.
A new Shadowrun game, that is. Specifically said it there but have forgotten to write it here. I don't know why for sure, but when you are busy casting a horrible condition-based curse at the same time you are writing on RPG Codex, these things are bound to happen.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Last edited:

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Cartoony style is also bad. Additional characters that are behind a paywall is also crap
The style is very corporate. Turns me off.

and it is overused like WoW like graphics.
Also ugly as fuck. If you want to make cartoonish characters and have no clue how to make them aesthetically pleasant, at least go for that 80s/90s merchandise tie-in cartoon look, like X-COM did:

but how do you make them/they action figures?

Delterius

Arcane
80s/90s merchandise tie-in cartoon look
why is this a desirable thing
Desireable, no, preferable to what they did, yes. That was my point.
tie in merchandise look just rubbed me the wrong way. if you had said draw on the aesthetics of old cartoons it would have been different. it implies a connection. but merchandise look feels like if corporate focus tested styles gain legitimacy with age.

who knows maybe 30 years from now someone will praise the heartfelt designs of the google dot com website

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Glassdoor review from last week
Best place I ever worked
Principal Software Engineer/Manager
Former Employee

Pros

Open, person-first leadership. Great people to work with.

Cons

It's been shut down. :(

On resetera, a former HBS employee claimed that Paradox laid off 80% of the company back in July, likely on account of Lamplighters League's incredibly poor sales forecast. Just keeping a skeleton crew to fulfill their obligations before turning the lights off.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Glassdoor review from last week
Best place I ever worked
Principal Software Engineer/Manager
Former Employee

Pros

Open, person-first leadership. Great people to work with.

Cons

It's been shut down. :(

On resetera, a former HBS employee claimed that Paradox laid off 80% of the company back in July, likely on account of Lamplighters League's incredibly poor sales forecast. Just keeping a skeleton crew to fulfill their obligations before turning the lights off.

Note how the happier the employees are, the more likely a studio is about to shuttered. These garbage indie studios always have really "happy" employees--probably because the heads are more focused on pandering to their progressive interns than producing good games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom