Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hardwar

Currently playing Hardwar and I understand later patches added a lot of functionality. I can't seem to get hold of 3.05.

Also any tips on how to unlock later moths, especially the swallow. I seem to be stuck with the same line up for a while.

Anonymous

Later patches are all beta's and aren't that playable in SP. Beta's 3.01 to 3.05 seem to have a bugged throttle control with a lot of joysticks. 3.05 the throttle is back but the economy is buggered. If you want anything built you have to know what raw materials are required and deliver them yourself. Best feature of the beta's is that the laser turrets finally work properly for the AI, makes them a much tougher opponent.

Do like Saint suggests and check out Captain Zedo's for info on the various beta patches. Last I checked a few people were trying to get them lined out.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
It's a shame Software Refinery bit the dust before they could fix up 3.x for full release. That economy being borked is a pretty major bug there.

Its also a damn fine and addictive game. Why is it all the talented software houses that create innovative and enjoyable games tank while schlockhouses succeed?

Fez

Erudite
That always brings a smile to my face. Finally no more bullshit marketing schemes to try and get some controversy on the latest steaming heap they are pushing on to people. Remember the advertising on gravestones scam? Surely they'd only get any lower if they offered to tattoo aborted foetuses.

Don't try giving them ideas. I guarantee you acclaim will be surpassed by atari in the hype stakes. Look at the way htey handled the driv3r release.

Fez

Erudite
Driver 3 (I'll be damned if I am going to use that silly name) was a joke, and they only got away with it thanks to the bribes they have thrown about. Sadly there is no reason it couldn't happen again.

LCJr.

Erudite
Been some activity on the Hardwar front.

One of the SR guys, Ian Martin, has resurfaced and is working on a patch for the patches. Completion date was supposed to be Oct so we'll see.

Some community members have made their own patch HardwarE that is supposed to get beta5 back up and running. Will be testing it out shortly. Download and info on Wez's site http://www.hardwar.info/ He also has the patched demo version of Hardwar.

Planet Hardware has repacked version and new installer that avoids the annoying "not enough disk space" error. They say it's the full version at 29 Mb which puts it larger than the Underdog's patched demo. Obviously there can't be any movies. Haven't played it enough to see if the movies were replaced by text like had been previously suggested.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Is there some big list of 'Codex approved games' someplace that I'm just missing? This game has no review entries on gamerankings.com whatsoever, the only places I've found it so far have been MobyGames and The Underdogs, yet everyone comes out of the woodwork when it's mentioned.

Very curious.

LCJr.

Erudite
It's on the list of gamer approved games and a true underdog. Any game that still has an active mod and onlne community after 5+ years must have something going for it:)

My personal list also includes Red Baron II/3D and Jagged Alliance 2(minus that bug ridden POS mod Wildfire).

Seems the common thread in these games is the non-linear nature. Pretty much everything that's come out lately is of the linear/canned mission variety. Regardless of how good the graphics and physics engine are it's not likely to hold your interest once you've played it enough to know what's going to happen.

LCJr.

Erudite
Ian Martin's patch has been released.

http://zedo.suddenlaunch3.com/index.cgi ... 1102626369

1) A server side bug where menu options were displayed but no longer valid at
the client side due to lag, is fixed. The bug caused a crash on the server.
2) The tunnel between Reservoir and Downtown is opened permanently.
3) A bug in some of the navigation, causing AI pilots to get confused, is
fixed.
4) Retire pilot in a multiplayer game has a confirmation screen.
5) Some new explosion graphics are added, for Direct3D users only. These are high quality
256x256 24 bit colour images. There is an option to retain the original ones.
This has been tested on a 32Mb NVidia TNT, and a 128Mb GeForce4.
6) A bug with USB gamepad axis values is fixed. This has been tested on a Thrustmaster
12 button gamepad.
7) An old frame buffer problem which has been present since 1998 is fixed, for Direct3D.
This caused a very occasional crash.
8) There is a new fog distance option, for Direct3D, which allows most of the largest
craters to be seen at all times. This is only intended for contemporary fast machines
and has been tested on an Athlon 2600, Celeron 2.4Ghz and faster machines.
9) There is an option to limit the number of remote players in a network server. This is
intended for users who host servers with modest bandwidth. Hardwar does require a lot
of network bandwidth (though this is being looked into) and if you allow 64Kpbs
per player, you should be able to host a server. If, for example, you have a 256Kbps
upload speed (from your perspective) you should be able to have 4 remote players.
10) Some work has been done to compress the network data, and tokenise the information.
Data sizes have typically fallen by 20% but this can be much lower.
11) The manually activated autopilot now flies to a lightwell.
12) Direct3D W buffering is now enabled, where the accelerator supports it - most cards do.
This cures the z ordering problems in tunnels, and other areas.
13) The flares cast a less harsh but richer light.
14) A new server side clicking bug is fixed - caused by unloading cargo.
15) The joystick throttle problem has been addressed, and there are additional config
options.
16) The maximum number of players in a network game works.
17) An option is added to simulate lag, in a single player game. Each frame lags by 10 frames.
18) If a pilot is named "I am a victim" most of the AI pilots attack him. If the pilot is
named "I am a made victim" then he is invulnerable. This was done to test the engine at
its limits, both in terms of display capabilities and control code.
19) When games are saved, dead pilots are not saved.
20) When using developers info, it was always allocating a huge buffer, not needed.
21) The CD music selects random tracks during extended flying.
22) The sky colour is changed to be more like the real Titan.

Quigs

Magister
awesome, ill have to break out my copy again.

Havent patched it in forever, did they ever fix the bug that would make going to a light well an extreme high priority? It seemed like in extended fights (I sucked at fighting) they would just pull off, and sit at a well while I pummeled them, untill they died.

LCJr.

Erudite
That was mentioned in one of the previous posts. I'm pretty sure that list is out of date.

His next patch will focus on the AI more and he's talking about a world editor after that.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
This game is still seeing some very nice patches being done for it.

http://atfw.blogspot.com/2004/12/hardwa ... eased.html

A Talent For War: Hardwar UIM .02 Released

Features and fixes for UIM.02
-----------------------------

1) 3DFX Glide is deleted. Any 3DFX users should select Direct3D. Users of an old 3DFX
pass-thru card should select Secondary Display.
2) Software rendering is deleted.
3) 24/32 bit display mode is introduced. If operating in windowed mode, it selects the
desktop's colour depth, where the desktop is 16 bits per pixel or above.
4) An option to select 32 bit textures is added. This should ONLY be where 64Mb or more
of texture memory is available. Hardwar does not use the automatic texture management
system, it shrinks textures until they all fit.

If texture memory is limited on your system, try some or all of these (in this order)

a) Do not use 32 bit textures.
b) Clamp textures to 256x256 (some older cards do not allow larger textures anyway, so
Hardwar shrinks them regardless).
c) Use the old explosions.
d) Disable mipmaps.

5) An option is added to revert to the old fog colours.
6) Hardman was not correctly reading the max number of network players - this is fixed.
7) The 'victim' modes introduced in UIM.01 are disabled in network games.
8) The clouds now use a new BMP texture, and are redesigned. They are still an option.
9) A missing building was re-added, Vacant 008.
10) A bug was found and fixed in the texture shrinking code (see 4 above) causing a fatal
crash where available texture memory was limited.

Compatibility.
--------------

DirectX9 required.

UIM.02 will only connect to itself in a network game. It has a new network GUID.

UIM.02 will load UIM.01, U3.04 save games, but not earlier ones.

Graphics whores rejoice.

Lemon

Arcane
Minor update released v. UIM201 Link

Adds embossed maps for the craters tunnels and hangers.

Utfärd

Playing it and I'm having a blast, it's like FFE meets G-Police in grimy kickass cyberpunk shithole setting.

If anyone wants to give it a go (and you should) here's a brief guide to get it running on Win 7 at least:

1) Install the game from the disk image, you can grab it here: https://www.myabandonware.com/game/hardwar-bh8

(You probably have to run the installation in Win98 compability mode to make it avoid the space issue, game can't compute too big harddrives)

2) Also install official patch 2.04 from the same site

3) Next install this patch: http://zedo.hardwar.info/HardwarUIM06.zip

(or don't - but seriously it helps a lot with resolution and such, nice fan patch)

4) Unzip this music fix into the Hardwar folder: nyx.pretime.org/trees/HardwarMusicPack.zip

(just slap it in the directory and the music just works - like a Todd game p. much)

5) Mount both the CD images and copy every .GDV file into the Hardwar folder (these are the movie files)

6) Next go here: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=6E0B7EFB6066B195!234&cid=6E0B7EFB6066B195

And download HardwarEopt.zip

Extract both files in the zip to the Hardwar folder, then run HardwarEopt, go to PATHS section and change all paths to the Hardwar folder path, this will allow the game to run the videos, it might say error but it still works (at least for me).

And that's it, should let you play the game without CDs while still enjoying the music and being able to watch the cool videos.

Good site for tips and tricks: http://zedo.hardwar.info

Also has some tips on how to install if for some reason the advice above won't juice you up, like if you're on some gay Win 10 setup or something.

(or don't - but seriously it helps a lot with resolution and such, nice fan patch)
Not just that, it spruces up the dynamic economy and NPC pilot AI. Had a blast a long ass time ago running a Hardwar server with some friends and it's always a big jump once you buy a nice hangar somewhere and start setting it up to function as a trade and repair hub and you start seeing NPC pilots using it and money starts coming in. None of us actually played through the story since we had too much fun just fucking around in the sandbox.

And speaking of the music, this fucking song still plays through my mind on occasion when I'm driving and it's gray and rainy. It's the weirdest fucking thing since I don't know WHY it's so burnt into my head but such is life. Makes me want to pull my car into a lightwell.

Utfärd

lol.png

Finished it today. Awesome ride. Zero to hero, hard work pays off etc. Felt pretty much unbeatable with snazzed out tanky fusion cell Hawk.

Would have liked multiple endings, but can't be too picky. Best game I have played in a long long time. 10/10 and all that.

Bonus best fighting song imo, killed endless Klamp-Goons to this in Reservoir and Riverside districts:

i desired this game so much, ever since i bought a pc "i should try hardwar, maybe next time". now i'm afraid i'm too grumpy and lazy to suffer through an old interface, i just can't stand them anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom