Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hard Reset Demo is out

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Y'know, I can live with the corridors and invisible walls, with the rooms filled with explosives, with the artificial spawns when you step on some triggers...

But what kills the game is the delay for switching weapons/modes. It's stupid, and just kills the fun.

I guess Skyway judges a game's quality based solely on difficulty...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Y'know, I can live with the corridors and invisible walls, with the rooms filled with explosives, with the artificial spawns when you step on some triggers...

The last bit is present in 95% of games out there to save resources. What did you want? Enemies to just stand there waiting for you?

But what kills the game is the delay for switching weapons/modes. It's stupid, and just kills the fun.
It takes 1-2 seconds. Not much different from old PC shooters

I guess Skyway judges a game's quality based solely on difficulty...

Actually I don't. Hard Reset just forces you to perma dodge and jump, just like all good old PC shooters and that's what makes up for its faults (apart from the atmosphere). Don't confuse that with "yeah you can die in the game!1"

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MetalCraze said:
It takes 1-2 seconds. Not much different from old PC shooters
Please define "old" PC shooter.
(in before some game from 2000-something)

Darth Roxor said:
This game not only has regenerating armour, it goes even a step further - it has REGENERATING AMMO.
Georgian Police already did it :smug:

Thanks for the impressions Roxor. The sluggishness, the corridors and the invisible walls are deal-breakers for me. I may still get it and see for myself but I know what to expect now.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What skyway also conveniently fails to mention is that the weapon switching is slow and annoying for one key reason. Not only is switching between the plasma and shooty weapons slow in itself, but you also have to switch them 'twice' because you can't automatically switch to the weapon mode you want.

So you pop E first to switch for the plasma gun and then 3 for the grenade launcher.

Also, did I mention how unresponsive is the weapon switching and you'll find yourself tapping Q/E and 1-5 like mad, yelling 'SWITCH THE FUCKING WEAPON ALREADY'?

- A shooter where weapon switch happens in 2 seconds
- A shooter where enemies barely move around
- A shooter full of explosive barrels near enemies
- A shooter that happens in tight corridors
- A shooter where you kill enemies with autotarget

2 seconds, huh. We both know that's bullshit. Also, you don't need to keep switching the guns all the time in Doom like in Hard Reset.

'Enemies barely move around' is not valid given Doom's constant barrages of enemy fire that you have to actually dodge.

Explosive barrels don't happen in every single combat encounter in Doom.

Tight corridors? Lol

Autotarget because there was no proper mouse support at that time, you mean.

But nice try. You did play Doom, right?

MasPingon

Arcane
2 seconds to change the weapon? You don't know shit about old school shooters Skyway, do you? Doubt you know something about player skill in fps judging by your opinion about Painkiller

MetalCraze

Arcane
2 seconds, huh. We both know that's bullshit.
I guess the video runs in slo-mo

Also, you don't need to keep switching the guns all the time in Doom like in Hard Reset.

You don't need to keep switching guns all the time in Hard Reset either. There is more than enough ammo and a full clip (200) even for the base rifle lasts long enough.
But what about "REGENERATING AMMO BAAAW" shouldn't it mean you don't have to switch guns ever huh? Oh wait no it doesn't!

Explosive barrels don't happen in every single combat encounter in Doom.
So what? It happens in quite a number of them. But that isn't the problem at all

Tight corridors? Lol

HR also has relatively wide "arenas" and Doom also has tight corridors. The only difference is that in Doom corridors are non-linear.

Autotarget because there was no proper mouse support at that time, you mean.
And somehow that wasn't a problem.

But in HR enemies are much faster, you are forced to constantly dodge (and in Doom you do it much less) and no autotarget and yet "HR is snaaaail paaaaace".
Same goes for jumping. "ZOMG ITZ TOO LOW" - dude you can't jump in Doom at all but Doom is Trv3 El1T3

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I guess the video runs in slo-mo

Actually, it does run in quite a slow-mo

MetalCraze said:
You don't need to keep switching guns all the time in Hard Reset either. There is more than enough ammo and a full clip (200) even for the base rifle lasts long enough.

You mean the full clip that lasts long enough to do barely any damage at all? What difficulty are you playing on, skyway? Easy? Because the full clip gets half-empty when you kill a big bot on hard. And when there is a mob of the dudes that are totally not Strogg rip offs cyborgs, ammo goes down fast as fuck.

But what about "REGENERATING AMMO BAAAW" shouldn't it mean you don't have to switch guns ever huh? Oh wait no it doesn't!

It exactly means that you have to keep switching. You get to 0 ammo, switch to other weapon, get low again, switch to the other that regened a bit, repeat ad nauseum.

So what? It happens in quite a number of them. But that isn't the problem at all

Quite a number? haha, oh wow is all I can say to this. Especially in comparison to hard reset's 20 explosive barrels per area.

And somehow that wasn't a problem.

Because there's something like accepting the technical limitations of the old games. And no, this is not saying 'turn-based is outdated lololo'

But in HR enemies are much faster, you are forced to constantly dodge (and in Doom you do it much less) and no autotarget and yet "HR is snaaaail paaaaace".

The only enemies in HR that are much faster are the melee stroggs. Small bots are completely insignificant. Against the big bots you just step aside the moment they start charging. The ranged stroggs are COMPLETELY useless (in fact, I couldn't help but laugh when I faced a mob of like 8 of them, all standing in one place. All I had to do was run around them doing nothing but shooting the chain lightning thing. I didn't even have to change my movement vector the slightest because they just stood around and took their beating while missing all their shots). The melee stroggs you can't even avoid anyway (SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIL PAAAAAAAAAAAAACE). Where's the constant dodging?

Same goes for jumping. "ZOMG ITZ TOO LOW" - dude you can't jump in Doom at all but Doom is Trv3 El1T3

Bunny hopping is the mark of a true fps

MetalCraze

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Actually, it does run in quite a slow-mo
He slowed it down to make Doom look not much different from HR specially for my argument!

You mean the full clip that lasts long enough to do barely any damage at all?
It does enough damage when I play

What difficulty are you playing on, skyway? Easy?

Hard. What difficulty are you playing on, Roxor? "I suck at shooters"?

Because the full clip gets half-empty when you kill a big bot on hard. And when there is a mob of the dudes that are totally not Strogg rip offs cyborgs, ammo goes down fast as fuck.
Bro-tip: in almost every encounter when both small dudes and big bots when die leave ammo plus in every encounter place there is ammo lying on the ground. Quite often - full clips.

It exactly means that you have to keep switching. You get to 0 ammo, switch to other weapon, get low again, switch to the other that regened a bit, repeat ad nauseum.
Which is different from Doom how? It doesn't have regen but as soon as you pick ammo for a weapon you ran out of it for you too - ZOMG - switch to that weapon

Quite a number? haha, oh wow is all I can say to this. Especially in comparison to hard reset's 20 explosive barrels per area.
You are wrong, there are 100 explosive barrels per room in Hard Reset.

Because there's something like accepting the technical limitations of the old games. And no, this is not saying 'turn-based is outdated lololo'
Then why do you keep praising Doom? It's shit too by modern standards then.

The only enemies in HR that are much faster are the melee stroggs. Small bots are completely insignificant. Against the big bots you just step aside the moment they start charging. The ranged stroggs are COMPLETELY useless (in fact, I couldn't help but laugh when I faced a mob of like 8 of them, all standing in one place. All I had to do was run around them doing nothing but shooting the chain lightning thing. I didn't even have to change my movement vector the slightest because they just stood around and took their beating while missing all their shots).
What a coincidence - it's the same in id shooters!

The melee stroggs you can't even avoid anyway (SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIL PAAAAAAAAAAAAACE). Where's the constant dodging?
You are wrong, bro - I can avoid them. You can't.

Bunny hopping is the mark of a true fps
Of a true arcade FPS.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
MetalCraze said:
LALALALALALALALA I DONT HEAR YOU

Thought as much.

However!

Which is different from Doom how? It doesn't have regen but as soon as you pick ammo for a weapon you ran out of it for you too - ZOMG - switch to that weapon

How many ammo types are there in Doom? Harder to run out of ammo when there's more than 2 types for 10 guns. Also harder to run out of ammo when said guns do actual damage.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
MetalCraze said:
OH SHI-!!!
Yes, indeed. Especially since it takes less than one second to switch weapons IN THE FUCKING VIDEO THAT YOU LINKED.

Know what? I think I'll sit this one out and let Roxor do all the work.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
MetalCraze said:
LALALALALALALALA I DONT HEAR YOU

Thought as much.
You know a response like that says that I'm right, right?

How many ammo types are there in Doom? Harder to run out of ammo when there's more than 2 types for 10 guns.
There can be 100 types of ammo and you still will be switching weapons as soon as the one in the current one ends.

Also harder to run out of ammo when said guns do actual damage.
I do actual damage. One-two shotgun shots kill small robots with ease. Maybe you really really suck?

Sceptic said:
MetalCraze said:
OH SHI-!!!
Yes, indeed. Especially since it takes less than one second to switch weapons IN THE FUCKING VIDEO THAT YOU LINKED.

But didn't Roxor say it was slowed down and now it's fasted up?

Weapon switching takes as much time as it does in HR. I guess technical limitations right?

MetalCraze

Arcane
You mean like everyone but most powerful enemies in Doom which also includes cyberdemons to which weapons do "no damage"?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yes, skyway. That's exactly what I meant. You have seen through my facade *pats on head*

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Let's cut the bullshit, if it wasn't for the outstanding visuals there'd be little reason to play the game. it's a B grade wave shooter with zero elegance, spammy mechanics, dull weaponry, meh level design and crap enemies. Reminds me of that psycho circus game from way back.

you're a complete cocksmoker if you bring up masterpieces like Doom in reference to this game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
fizzelopeguss said:
Let's cut the bullshit, if it wasn't for the outstanding visuals there'd be little reason to play the game. it's a B grade wave shooter with zero elegance, spammy mechanics, dull weaponry, meh level design and crap enemies.

Thank you.

MetalCraze

Arcane
you're a complete cocksmoker if you bring up masterpieces like Doom in reference to this game.
Especially when a lot of stuff in Doom doesn't win at all in a direct comparison leading to a retarded but extremely lulzy butthurt like "technical limitations"?

The truth is - Codex is full of consoletards who would praise shit like combat in Mass Effect 2 which sucks Hard Reset's dick 24/7, but as soon as a game where they need to bash the shit out of their keyboard arrives - they cry that it's too hard (zomg weapons deal no dmg, I can't escape from enemies baaaw, I ran out of ammo waaaaa)

Who cares that Doom is vastly the same it's an old game so it's a masterpiece and you can't compare anything to it baaawww

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Crooked Bee said:
:lol: Made me chuckle. Still can't believe you actually LPed THAT.
Well it was a good idea when you think of it. I needed something quick and easy, and not too good so that nobody would mind if I fucked up my first LP, and in many ways it was a good learning experience for how to get what I want to say into LP format. I was honestly quite surprised by the reception, as I expected it to fly completely under most people's radar. And well, it was a lot of fun to make. Also, it let me maintain an exact 1:1 ratio of good to sucky games that I've made LP's of (a ratio that should remain the same if I ever do the next 2 that I would like to)

The_Pope

Scholar
Darth Roxors analysis is spot on. It's like doom, except instead of being a space marine who can outrun rockets, you're an asthmatic walrus with a blowpipe.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
but as soon as a game where they need to bash the shit out of their keyboard
What the chernobyl baby thinks makes a good shooter. this game is to be honest a bit of a clusterfuck. Rather than intelligent use of strafe, you just have to jump spam like a spazzy retard. Stunlock and crowd control inherent to certain weapon and enemy types? fuck it just lob lighting balls all over the place.

Who cares that Doom is vastly the same it's an old game so it's a masterpiece and you can't compare anything to it baaawww

If you're gonna compare it to anything, then you compare it to other arena shooters like PK and SS where the point of those games is to sweep the screen with as many flashing lights as possible.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I don't know Skyway, go play Serious Sam and see how this game should be.

MetalCraze said:
The truth is - Codex is full of consoletards who would praise shit like combat in Mass Effect 2 which sucks Hard Reset's dick 24/7, but as soon as a game where they need to bash the shit out of their keyboard arrives - they cry that it's too hard (zomg weapons deal no dmg, I can't escape from enemies baaaw, I ran out of ammo waaaaa)
:lol:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
but as soon as a game where they need to bash the shit out of their keyboard
What the chernobyl baby thinks makes a good shooter. this game is to be honest a bit of a clusterfuck. Rather than intelligent use of strafe, you just have to jump spam like a spazzy retard. Stunlock and crowd control inherent to certain weapon and enemy types? fuck it just lob lighting balls all over the place.

If you're gonna compare it to anything, then you compare it to other arena shooters like PK and SS where the point of those games is to sweep the screen with as many flashing lights as possible. In which case it's behind Painkiller and ahead of sam, mostly because sam was a massively overrated game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They're jizzing all over it on Steam forums. Also, how the fuck can a four hour game have EIGHTY achievements?

Drakron

Arcane
Metro said:
They're jizzing all over it on Steam forums. Also, how the fuck can a four hour game have EIGHTY achievements?

Easy ...
Achievement: You brought the game
Achievement: You installed the game
Achievement: You have not uninstalled the game before 10 minutes have passed and realized you could use the extra HDD space.

MetalCraze

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
What the chernobyl baby thinks makes a good shooter.
If you consider Doom, Quake, Unreal/Tournament shit games it's your problem, bro.

this game is to be honest a bit of a clusterfuck. Rather than intelligent use of strafe, you just have to jump spam like a spazzy retard.
"Intelligent" strafe? :lol:

Stunlock and crowd control inherent to certain weapon and enemy types? fuck it just lob lighting balls all over the place.
I also use shotgun a lot, quite effective against anything that comes in 3+ numbers. Somehow when I control it it deals a lot of damage too.
FYI different weapons don't mean anything to different enemy types in "masterpieces" as well. And in Doom2 you barely ever use anything but dual-barelled shotgun.

If you're gonna compare it to anything, then you compare it to other arena shooters like PK and SS where the point of those games is to sweep the screen with as many flashing lights as possible.

Gameplay in Doom is no different and even slower. Also the speed of switching weapons is exactly the same.
Quit pretending.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom